Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 3:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve
    When I first heard rumors of this, my immediate thought was "Dana will never let it happen while Silva is on a UFC contract". I did not even bother to get excited or even follow up on reading about it because it was clearly never going to happen, media hype to generate UFC buzz, or both.
    I don't think anyone really thought it would work out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 3:16pm

Style: Mixed Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    I think it would be stupid to put a top notch MMA fighter in a situation where he's probably going to get embarrassed by a boxer in front of millions of people.
    Yeah, I agree with you that it would be ideal if it went both ways (for example I'd love to see Mayweather get armbared in a cage). But I still think it would cool for Silva; it seems to me that he just wants to challenge himself as an athlete as much as possible - something that I can't help but support.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 3:20pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    About five years ago I would've agreed. Now. PPV wise, MMA is pulling in numbers comparable to and better than some major boxing matches.

At this point they are so distinctly different, I honestly don't think it would hurt MMA. If anything, to those uninformed about MMA, this makes the UFC look worse IMO than a loss by Silva.

Wait until this story makes the rounds. We will get to see boxing forums saying see MMA sucks they knew better blah blah blah.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 3:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango M.F.
    Yeah, I agree with you that it would be ideal if it went both ways (for example I'd love to see Mayweather get armbared in a cage). But I still think it would cool for Silva; it seems to me that he just wants to challenge himself as an athlete as much as possible - something that I can't help but support.

I definitely respect Silva for wanting to fight him. I think he wants it for the right reasons. They obviously respect each other. They should train together.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 3:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    About five years ago I would've agreed. Now. PPV wise, MMA is pulling in numbers comparable to and better than some major boxing matches.

At this point they are so distinctly different, I honestly don't think it would hurt MMA. If anything, to those uninformed about MMA, this makes the UFC look worse IMO than a loss by Silva.

Wait until this story makes the rounds. We will get to see boxing forums saying see MMA sucks they knew better blah blah blah.

I see your point. But it would be the same thing if they fought. "See, I told you MMA fighters are **** athletes."

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 3:30pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trust me I'm not fully disagreeing with you. I just don't see it being as detrimental now as in earlier years.

Regardless, we are going to get the same retarded scuttlebut either way. I wish it would've happened.

I actually completely forgot this was supposedly "in the works." I heard and was BS this'll never happen.

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 3:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trust me I'm not fully disagreeing with you. I just don't see it being as detrimental now as in earlier years.

Regardless, we are going to get the same retarded scuttlebut either way. I wish it would've happened.

I actually completely forgot this was supposedly "in the works." I heard and was BS this'll never happen.

It definitely wouldn't be as bad now as it was a few years ago. MMA still has a lot to gain by winning over casual fans from boxing. I just don't want to see MMA fighters and organizations giving ammo to clueless pricks like Jim Lampley. At least not until we have video of Floyd Mayweather getting ass-raped in the Octagon.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 3:42pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least not until we have video of Floyd Mayweather getting ass-raped in the Octagon.
    Haha beat me to it, that was going to be my next point. I want to see boxing in an MMA venue first.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 4:11pm

Style: Wrestling, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It definitely wouldn't be as bad now as it was a few years ago. MMA still has a lot to gain by winning over casual fans from boxing. I just don't want to see MMA fighters and organizations giving ammo to clueless pricks like Jim Lampley. At least not until we have video of Floyd Mayweather getting ass-raped in the Octagon.
    The main thing is it would have been an interesting fight, both for the fans and the fighters. It's not a fighter's job to make sure his contests increase the PR of his organization or sport. That kind of **** is what's keeping Couture and Fedor from fighting. God knows the image of the UFC as the baddest of the bad can't be ruined by something so silly as reality.

If Silva and Jones were up for the fight, it should have happened. And if idiots use the outcome as ammo, we should remind ourselves that the opinions of idiots don't matter.

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 5:35pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep. I have to admit he actually sounded alright.

Finally a boxer that knows where he stands.

He still an ass for ducking Bernard until they are both in the twilight of their careers.
    Roy Jones and Bernard fought back in 1993 and Roy won. Great job not knowing what the **** you are talking about.

Oh, and Roy Jones would have tooled Silva in a boxing match. Silva was only running his mouth to get publicity.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast