Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 6:31pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This has upset written all over it. Im nearly 100% convinced Silvia has to win now. Especially if fedor tries his Choi tactic again. I wonder what the betting odds are...

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 7:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Shooting on him from the end of his jab is virtually impossible though, as seen with Monson.
    Fixed.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 7:06pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McScary
    Ahahahaha! I'll bet Randy's shitting his pants right now.

Think about it...Randy comes out of retirement, destroys Tim, and gets the title. After one title defense, Randy throws a temper tantrum, and abruptly resigns and embarks on a law-suited filled quest to fight Fedor. Tim on the other hand, wins one lackluster fight, and loses his next fight only to leave the UFC on good terms and is handed a Fedor fight in a big new promotion.
    You know, I didn't think about that at all.

That is actually damn funny.

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 7:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe
    Will this be in a ring or cage?
    All the events organized by HDNet Fights in Dallas thus far have used a cage, so I would imagine that this fight will be in a cage as well. Fights from other promotions (like the IFL) that use a ring have aired on HDNet under the "HDNet Fights" banner, but I don't see any reason why future events organized directly by HDNet Fights would switch to a ring (unless that's what Fedor wants, since Mark Cuban would undoubtedly acquiesce to any demands he makes).

Also, I THINK elbows are allowed under HDNet Fights' rules, so I would like to see how that will change Fedor's game plan and defense. I live in the Dallas area, so I REALLY hope this fight takes place here and not overseas, 'cuz I wanna see it live in person.

EDIT: Elbows aren't allowed in HDNF after all, so scratch my previous comment.
    Last edited by Kid Miracleman; 4/08/2008 8:15pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 8:20pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, just because Fedor really hasn't had much competition in ages I think Sylvia might actually have a chance here. If that happens, think we'll see Randy vs. Nog?

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 10:48am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    I think the fact that Timmay was quite close to finishing Nog at several points (something Fedor never did) suggests that it wouldn't necessarily be a cake walk.

Timmay is boring and annoying but very underrated. However, Fedor's judo throws from a clinch present the same issues that Randy's GR tieups did. Shooting on him is virtually impossible though, as seen with Monson.
    Randy got Tim down with several double-leg shots; not just GR tie-ups. It's not that shooting on Tim is virtually impossible, it's more that A) Randy is a much better wrestler than Monson, and B) Randy was mixing up shots with effective striking, whereas Monson wasn't landing anything meaningful and therefore taking shots from the end of Tim's jab, which is pretty much never going to be effective because it gives way too much time and distance to sprawl.

Now, Fedor's throws are definitely good and he mixes striking and throws very effectively, but so far the most impressive displays of dominating the takedown battles he's had have been against Noguiera, who I'm not sure has ever actually bothered defending a takedown in his career, Herring, last seen being outwrestled by Cheik "I'm so athletic and explosive fireflies follow me around in the daytime" Kongo, and Crocop, about who's post-Pride performances the less said, the better. Whereas in his matches with Coleman, Randleman, and Arona (ie pretty much everyone he's fought that can wrestle) he didn't get a single takedown and got put on his back a lot.

Now, Coleman, Randleman, and Arona are better wrestlers than anyone Tim has fought aside from Randy, so that doesn't mean Fedor won't be able to take Tim down. But I don't think you can consider it a foregone conclusion, either. And in a striking battle, when you consider that Nog has stated that Sylvia hit him the hardest he'd ever been hit, I don't think you can really count Tim out of a decent chance at victory.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 12:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherdog
    Randy got Tim down with several double-leg shots; not just GR tie-ups. It's not that shooting on Tim is virtually impossible, it's more that A) Randy is a much better wrestler than Monson, and B) Randy was mixing up shots with effective striking, whereas Monson wasn't landing anything meaningful and therefore taking shots from the end of Tim's jab, which is pretty much never going to be effective because it gives way too much time and distance to sprawl.
    To my recollection (I was really drunk though) the shots either were, as you said, post effective striking or after Timmay was already very frustrated.

And in a striking battle, when you consider that Nog has stated that Sylvia hit him the hardest he'd ever been hit, I don't think you can really count Tim out of a decent chance at victory.
    I think he has a much better chance than many are giving him. Timmay was very close to finishing Nog.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 12:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll say this: whatever else happens, Mr. Emmelianko has my respect back, he is finally taking on a former UFC HW Champion and top 5 contender. (Not that he seemed all that bothered when he lost my respect, but I just thought I'd get that out there.)

Also:
    Go Big Tim! Hillbilly Deluxe all the way, baby! I seriously want Tim to win, to forever enshrine himself in the pantheon of legends, and get the respect he deserves.
    Tim "The Man Who Stopped Fedor" Syliva...has a nice ring to it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 12:28pm

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It also didn't help Monson cause to advertise his training regiment and fight strategy leading up to the fight. Two things about Randy and Fedor is they both know how to develope a game plan, that is what made their potential fight so tantelizing. Randy and Fedor are good at pressuring people and that is something Tim doesn't respond to, Tim does his best work when he can control the situation and do just enough to pull off the win. Which is the reason so many people don't like him..................that and the moped picture.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 12:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Finally. Fedor vs a top ranked cat/former champion.

Of course, the downside of this is that I have to watch Tim Sylvia fight again. Oh well, it's a trade off I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast