Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 2:37pm

Style: Systema & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Breaking News: Fedor Confirms Sylvia Fight

been a while since i've posted on here, but thought this was quite news-worthy....

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=12220

Top ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) will fight Tim Sylvia (Pictures) on July 19. The Russian mixed martial arts champion confirmed the bout to Sherdog.com on Tuesday.

"[Sylvia] is a good fighter, a strong fighter, the former UFC heavyweight champion, which is important," Emelianenko said via telephone from Stary Oskol, Russia. "I am looking forward to fighting him and training hard for this fight."

While Emelianenko was short on details, Sherdog.com has learned through sources close to the negotiations that Fedor-Sylvia would headline a card tentatively scheduled for the American Airlines Arena in Dallas, the home base of HDNet Fights.

Attempts to confirm the fight with HDNet went unreturned, however sources indicate the bout will air on the Mark Cuban-owned network and is rumored to be promoted by Affliction, a clothing brand closely tied to MMA.

Affliction had been connected with Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions, however a June 28 Las Vegas date has since been discarded.

Emelianenko, a 31-year-old sambo practitioner, has faced criticism from media and fans alike after a string of fights against less than stellar competition. Sylvia would represent the Russian's first ranked opponent since his unanimous decision over Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic nearly three years ago.

Widely regarded as the top heavyweight fighter in the world, Emelianenko (27-1-0, 1 NC) was recently freed from a letter of intent binding him to the now-defunct M-1 Global promotion.

Sylvia, 32, is coming off a submission loss to Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Pictures) in February at UFC 81. After a spirited performance that saw him batter his foe at will with strikes, Sylvia (24-4-0) eventually fell victim to a classic Nogueira come-from-behind performance and succumbed to a guillotine choke early in the third round.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 2:39pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Woah, I hadn't realized M-1 failed that quickly. I thought they still had another 2-3 shows in them before calling it quits.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 2:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    about time

Sylvia is going to give Fedor problems though.

Will this be in a ring or cage?

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 2:46pm

Style: Systema & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe
    Will this be in a ring or cage?
    i think this is the crucial question that will affect the outcome greatly

I've seen one of the HDnet shows, but i don't recall if it was cage or ring......

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 2:50pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Wrasslin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow, i guess im glad that fedor is facing actual competiotion but i'd really like him to sign with an established company and having good fights once in a while.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 2:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    I thought they still had another 2-3 shows in them before calling it quits.

M1 Global never had a first event to have "another" after.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 2:54pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think a cage will be much of a probelm for Fedor. Nor do I think Sylvia will pose much of a threat to him. Though, I am glad to finally see Fedor with a top ranked HW.

Regarding companies, etc...I could really care less as long as it is a good fight. If the sport is really going to develop, cross promotion will have to occur. People will have to start looking at fights, as opposed to promoters.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 3:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think the previous HDnet fights have been in a ring, but i'm not sure.

either way, i agree with sambosteve that it won't bother fedor much and that he will make quick work of tim(may!)

i'm just glad it's going to happen.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 3:08pm

Style: Poor mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good lord, yeah Fedor has been untested and nuthugged way too much in the past few years, but how could he have trouble against Timmay? Fedor is a lot quicker, and it's not like he's never faced someone of Tim's "striking caliber"..

I consider this to just be filler until Fedor and Randy do their epic number.
    Last edited by chi-conspiricy; 4/08/2008 3:44pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Timmay!!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast