Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 8:10am

Style: fumoffu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Repulsive Monkey
    There is certainly an alarming correlation between running a McDojo and having a desperate need for validation through credentials--even when those credentials are largely made up.

For example, you know that black belt in "Jung Mul Sul" Bainton has? Try finding mention of that art anywhere but in relation to him. How about his Doctorate of Philosophy from the College of Advanced Education and the Department of Martial Arts Studies? And what about that International Black Belt Hall of Fame? Can you find an actual website for it? I can't.

Other red flags are the astonishing number of 19-year olds with fifth degree black belts and the lack of explanation anywhere on the site for the details of the art Bainton invented. And not that it relates to anything, but those quasi-Chinese characters next to the dangling belts on the home page . . . Some are made-up, some are non-sensical and anything vaguely recognizable is upside down.

Oh yeah, and there's this kid.
    I m a ethnic Chinese and i dont even know what that inscription means!!!Is it some rune used by mage?
    And whats wrong wif the kid?
    Last edited by Miguksaram; 12/24/2003 9:38am at .
    "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
    - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 8:24am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I did find another few sites that list Kung Jung Moo Sool (Mu Sul in Korean is like 'bu jutsu', so I figured he just misspelled it). It is listed on the Korean Martial Arts Resource page here: http://www.martialartsresource.com/korean/korean.htm

I am not sure what it means to have been promoted to 10th by a Hall of Fame. The only MA Hall of Fame I know anything about is the TX one, and people are nominated and voted for recognition, but not rank promotion. Anyone know more about that?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 8:35am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So he's got a black belt in it, but he's mispelling the name?

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 10:06am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Oh yeah, and there's this kid.
    RM,

Please remove the picture of the kid. There is no reason whatsoever to bring him into this discussion as it proves no point whatsoever.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 10:24am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by liuzg150181
    I m a ethnic Chinese and i dont even know what that inscription means!!!
    If I remember correctly that writing is the precursor to modern chinese writing or Japanese writing prior to the adaptation of Chinese. Kind of a Sanskrit, if you will.

I personally don't see anything wrong with the school on the surface, as someone said, they are not making outrageous claims. As for the credits, that is simple marketing, the more stuff under your name the more people are wanting to learn from you. Hey it's a business what do you expect?

The proof will be in the actual teachings. Go and watch a class, and if your brother-in-law likes it, then more power too him.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 10:28am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Miguksaram, I can check, but that isn't necessarily a precursor to Chinese writing, but simply another style to write characters in. This is the style still used today in the 'seal' people use to officially sign documents. It definately looks upside down. If I get a chance, I will try to get a translation later.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 10:32am

supporting member
     Style: Shnizzletodawizzle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *shoves pen into own eyeball*

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 10:35am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is that supposed to be grass writing? Um...it is upside down.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 10:36am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a McDojo! here's why:
    1) No outrageous claims
    2) No Fake titles in real arts
    3) All goals are clearly stated and seem to be being achieved
    4) No Contracts

This place may be lame but it's not a McDojo because ther is no dishonest or misleading information.

Also I agree with Migurasan please leave that kid out of this! He obvioulsy has some issues besides being at this school.

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 10:40am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Boggles*
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast