Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 2:26pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA Rulemakers/Athletic Commissions

To MMA Rulemakers/Athletic Commissions:

When you see a fighter is out, please give him a 3 count before you stop the fight.

There's no doubt Houston and Karo were out and those were legit stoppages under the current rules, but they might have been able to come back enough to tie up or keep Irvin and Alves off them. Maybe. The chance is slim but they should have a 3 count. Any longer CAN risk serious permanent damages. Even 3 seconds is taking SOME risks, but no more than when someone is awake.

The main point here is, who wanted that stoppage? No one. Not even the guys getting hit, so giving them a little chance to come back settles alot of questions and makes everyone happy with minimal risk. Face it, the guy is going in the cage to get hit: he can take a few more.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 4:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree. Though Rogan did say to much the contrary that even a second or two could lead to serious damage. A few unprotected blows to the jaw of a downed opponent could be pretty brutal.

I must say that there is a grey area between KTFO and slipping on the mat, that is seldom talked about. Anyone who's competed or even sparred under heavy contact knows that you can often get rocked or knocked to the floor, and you lose your sense of equilibrium (thus leading to the disoriented appearance). The fighter is still conscious, is hardly injured, and will effectively defend themselves as soon as they get their wits about them. The issue comes, when a fighter is in this state, having not received a concussion but is now dealing with an aggressive fighter lacing punches on them as they attempt to get a grasp of the situation.

The Karo and Houston stoppages were legit to me, but the Lauzon and Ortiz stoppages are ones that piss me off. Where a fighter is defending themselves getting pounded on their forearms, and isn't doing much to pose a threat in response, and the ref calls the fight. If a person can't GnP well enough to finish the fight, then they shouldn't get the finish.

If you ask me, the reason why the promoters don't allow this isn't so much due to fighter safety, but due to the lack of action and "danger" a fight appears to have, when you have someone turtled up, or covering up from under mount effectively shielding themselves against a dominant opponent for 5 minutes straight. By stopping the fight, it makes the contest look more one-sided and brutal than it actually was, and keeps the hype machine going.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 6:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, a three count doesn't sound good to me, if someone is out they're out, like houston was. Karo perhaps could of been given a little longer but Alves was goin' for it and really i see nothing good for Karo if that had been let go.

The tap tap tap t.k.o situation really is a bitch. On one hand the defender often isn't taking alot of damage, not nearly as much as is tolerated if they're fighting back anyway, but the fact that they're unable to retaliate or escape has to count for something.
    I mean obviously there's a limit to how many unanswered shots an organisation or athletic commision should ever let one fighter take, for safety and for appearances sake.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 8:46pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no, that goes against everything that is mma. in a real fight you don't get time to recover from a punch. this would be a huge detriment to all strikes, as grapplers who get hit hard would be able to take a knee or whatever to rest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 11:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by v1y
    no, that goes against everything that is mma. in a real fight you don't get time to recover from a punch. this would be a huge detriment to all strikes, as grapplers who get hit hard would be able to take a knee or whatever to rest.
    So, what you're saying is that in a real fight you get a ref to stop the fight? You should read your post aloud to yourself to see if it makes any sense at all. By giving the fighter 3 more seconds you're not giving him a rest you're letting him take more punches, hence it's MORE realistic, despite the fact that realism is not the main issue here, fairness is.

Frenzal: you're acting like a fighter can't come back from being rocked.
    Last edited by Rooster; 4/06/2008 11:52am at .

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 12:05pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a fighter can't come back from pugilistic dementia.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 12:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like Pandinha didn't come back in his fight with Rudy Abel?

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 12:33pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should read your post aloud to yourself to see if it makes any sense at all.
    This is funny after what you just typed.

Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    a fighter can't come back from pugilistic dementia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dementia_pugilistica

We all know where the real problem lies and it is perception. MMA is still considered human cockfighting. Don't believe me go look at the articles and rule changes constantly being thrown about.

Until that perception changes fights are going to get stopped early.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 12:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    This is funny after what you just typed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dementia_pugilistica

We all know where the real problem lies and it is perception. MMA is still human considered cockfighting. Don't believe me go look at the articles and rule changes constantly being thrown about.
    Ah, I just assumed it was a funny way of saying someone was rocked. My bad.

Edit: Interesting point from that article: "It has not been conclusively shown that repeat concussions necessarily lead to cumulative brain damage, and some scientists argue that boxers who get chronic traumatic encephalopathy are genetically predisposed.[11] Boxers with the apolipoprotein Eε-4 gene may be at higher risk for CTE.[11]"
    Last edited by Rooster; 4/06/2008 12:39pm at .

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by v1y
    This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen written on the issue. 50 push-ups and come back when you think about what you've done.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast