Administrator

Posted On:
    4/12/2008 11:52pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Suggesting Lennox should have given up within the 1st minute of the first round on the first attempt - to "tap and fight another day" as FLMikeATT suggests - yes it is becoming absurd.

... approaching a bullshido-esque statement, even.

:smile:
    That has nothing to do with your comment that Shark went for an absurd amount of leglock attempts.

Poor strawman attempt Tom, I expected better from you. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    4/12/2008 11:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandinha
    That has nothing to do with your comment that Shark went for an absurd amount of leglock attempts.

Poor strawman attempt Tom, I expected better from you. :)

First, I did not say it was an absurd amount. I said it was becoming an absurd amount. IOW - approaching.

Secondly, your red herring of trying to argue that I was talking about technique instead FLMikeATT's comment, is clearly absurd.

Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 12:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, I did not say it was an absurd amount. I said it was becoming an absurd amount. IOW - approaching.

Secondly, your red herring of trying to argue that I was talking about technique instead FLMikeATT's comment, is clearly absurd.

Lennox had already successfully defended, escaped, and/or reversed what was becoming an absurd number of leg lock attempts by Bussade during that match.
    Semantics. So if Shark kept throwing a left hook three times that Lennox kept defending, would that be reaching an absurd number? Your choice of words.

Who's arguing about technique? I'm arguing your choice of the word absurd to define multiple submission attemps is well... Absurd. :)
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 12:07am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2 knee bar attempts and 1 successful kneebar is not absurd.
    I call it 3 plus the break but we can argue that later.

For me successive meant rounds. Don't take absurd as in "He shouldn't do that technique."

Funny you are also creating a strawman.

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 12:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Semantics. So if Shark kept throwing a left hook three times that Lennox kept defending, would that be reaching an absurd number? Your choice of words.

If that's all he was throwing and perhaps passing up other opportunities and strategies, perhaps it might be - especially if someone suggests something like "if a {insert stylist here} throws a left hook at you, you might as well go down right there and fight another day."

Who's arguing about technique?
    You are.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    ATTN TOM KAGAN

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 12:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If that's all he was throwing and perhaps passing up other opportunities and strategies, perhaps it might be - especially if someone suggests something like "if a {insert stylist here} throws a left hook at you, you might as well go down right there and fight another day."

That's your argument with Mike. Mine is your post using the word absurd in context to submissions attempt.

You are.
    See above. You keep missing the point that going for a technique, whether sub or striking numeroous times is not absurd, especially if it wins the fight.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 12:26am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See above. You keep missing the point that going for a technique, whether sub or striking numeroous times is not absurd, especially if it wins the fight.
    Oh now I see. I'm speaking for myself but, this is what I thought Tom meant.

You are defining absurd as in "it is silly dumb stupid retarded" on his part to attempt that many subs.

I'm talking absurd amount. Notice I didn't end the sentence with OMG 4 leglock attempts that is absurd.

Yes, there is a difference.

For reference:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Absur...ient=firefox-a
    Need an Absurd Amount of Mini Hay Bales?
    Co-workers ask an absurd amount of questions.
    the absurd amount of cars that i have had

This is what I meant. I have never seen someone work that many leglocks, in a row (IMO), in a MMA match.

Not that the attempts were wrong or unwarranted. It is more holly **** look at all those attempts.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 1:09am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed.

How is it naive? Are they not both techniques? Are they both not part of MMA? At the very core, they were both used in that fight as techniques in a fight.

With the talk in this thread of going for a sub attempt that doesn't working absurd. So don't throw a hook or punch because it didn't work the first few times? Assinine.

Again, Mike is proud of his instructor.
    It is naive because they are two completely different techniques with two totally different functions. IMO a jab is basically a set up technique, not a finisher like a submission. In fact, oftentimes jabs are not even intended to hit their target...they are intended to close distance set up other strikes, test the waters of your opponent, etc. Thus you see many of them. Not the same for subs, though a good grappler should use ploys...but ploys are different than subs. A sub is intended to end an exchange, not start one like a jab. By their very nature they are different and can't be compared as you have. I don't even know what technique in grappling would equate to a jab, suffice to say that throwing mutiple missed jabs does not equate with multiple missed subs.

I would be proud of my instructor as well...and bragging too prolly. And note my comment that it was not an absurd amount.

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 1:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What? A BJJ blackbelt needed more than one attempt? Absurd.

:hello2:

ATTN TOM KAGAN

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 3:57am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Anthony and Tom are both becoming absurd.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast