Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    5/01/2008 11:42am

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great post, Johnny.

Since that is how the rating system should work, maybe the 1-10 way of rating should change.

How I understand it is that competition schools are viewed as being different, not better, so why should the rating system be ascending?

Wouldn't it be better to have classifications? Maybe adding categories to the school review section would help.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/01/2008 11:59am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hui_Xiu
    Great post, Johnny.

Since that is how the rating system should work, maybe the 1-10 way of rating should change.

How I understand it is that competition schools are viewed as being different, not better, so why should the rating system be ascending?

Wouldn't it be better to have classifications? Maybe adding categories to the school review section would help.
    This is a question that should be asked in the FAQ area not in a specific thread.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/01/2008 12:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every category, with the one exception being "Atmosphere/Attitude", is fairly objective when viewed in conjunction with the Rating Chart linked in this thread.

Thus, a Thia Chi or Wushu school would likely have an "Aliveness" rating of 1; a WTF TKD school would have a 2-3; a Goju Ryu, Kempo, Isshun Ryu type schools may have a 4-7; BJJ, Wrestling, Submission Grappling, Judo, Sambo, Boxing, Muay Thai would be 8-9; MMA would be a 10.

A ranking of 1 does not mean that the Wushu school is better or worse than a BJJ school with an aliveness rank of 8. The rank simply is used as a tool to inform the interested consumer as to what is offered at that particular school. If the guy wants to fight in the next UFC, he'll be looking for an aliveness ranking of 8-10; if the guy wants to perform like Jet Li, he'll look to a 1.

It all depends on what the student wants to learn.

What may be difficult for some instructors/owners to swallow, or admit, is in the area of ranking striking, grappling, and weapons.

The vast majority of martial arts I feel would fall in the 4-5 range for striking. The top of the striking arts, as proven through the test of time, is boxing. If you doubt this, ask yourself, who would win in a striking only match between an Olympic Gold Medalist in TKD and an Olympic Gold Medalist in Boxing. The difference between a 9 and a 10 in striking is whether you are being coached by a decent striker with a pro fight record or Emanuel Steward.

Similarly, the difference between a 9-10 in grappling is whether your instructor has successfully competed at local as well as national grappling competitions or is a World Champion from winning the Mundials or Abu Dahbi.

For Hui, the review section is being looked at and may be revamped and updated a bit in the coming months.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/01/2008 5:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Smart Assery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dear Mr. Greer,
    I again apologize for my former criticism and will delete my former posts completely. I saw Jing Ying under the dojo review board next to the words utter disgrace. I tried to write what I knew about the school, I in no way believed that i was fully qualified to give formal criticism or review but saw that there was nobody else who could immediately write a somewhat helpful review in response to 123ash's unfounded criticism. Now that you have written here my posts will be immediately deleted.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/01/2008 6:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Smart Assery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GoldenJonas,
    I think it would probably be better if you could permanently delete both my and 123ash's first post seeing as they are primarily in error. While I do believe that it is important for people to see negative reviews of a school even if they are done by people who have been in the school only once or twice and chose not to attend because of those visits, the fact that they are on the first page is deceptive. I would not ask for them to be deleted if they were on the 4rth page but for 123ash's review to be the first impression of Jing Ying kung fu would be deceptive at best. Though Mr. Greer is the owner (not the head instructor) I have met him a few times and trust that he will edit his rating to match forum standards, making his review of Jing Ying the most reliable.
    edit: I have already deleted mine

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 9:14am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GoldenJonas,

Couldn't find a way to pm you or otherwise contact you directly, so I'll post here on the forum. You previously stated that you were going to just delete the messages by 123ash, so let me join emu_forefront in requesting that you do so. I actually would like you to delete the entire thread. I am impressed with how well the forum works in regard to most people quickly identifying 123ash as making a personal attack rather than providing a real review. Some people who don't even know Jing Ying and having nothing to gain took the extra effort to discredit the op by looking at previous posts and pointing out contradictions. I appreciate that the majority of people here seem to want the ratings and review system to work and be useful.

However, I think the thread has veered off course to discussions of the rating system, arguments about $25 testing fees beeing excessive, and how many 12 year old black belts can be considered a huge number of child black belts. At this point, I would suggest it might be better to start over.

I have read the suggested links and better understand your rating system. Since this is under the Chinese Martial Arts Schools review category, my rating was based on a comparison to other schools in the category. After reading your criteria, I think I am prepared to post a rating that fits your system more accurately. I have also read the FAQ on choosing a school and signals that your school might be a McDojo. Objectively applying those criteria would rate Jing Ying as an excellent school.

If you agree, I would post a separate review and rating to start a new thread to replace this one.

Thanks,

Billy

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 9:44am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you, Billy. It is rare we get a new poster who takes the time to actually inform himself of what Bullshido is & what we expect, rather than just jumping in with either self-agrandizing or mudslinging.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 9:46am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jing,

I agree. Please start a new thread. I may move some of the posts from this thread over to the thread your start.

Forum policy prevents me from deleting the thread outright; but I will lock it and cull it appropriately.

I look forward to your new review.

GJ

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 9:47am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    Every category, with the one exception being "Atmosphere/Attitude", is fairly objective when viewed in conjunction with the Rating Chart linked in this thread.

Thus, a Thia Chi or Wushu school would likely have an "Aliveness" rating of 1; a WTF TKD school would have a 2-3; a Goju Ryu, Kempo, Isshun Ryu type schools may have a 4-7; BJJ, Wrestling, Submission Grappling, Judo, Sambo, Boxing, Muay Thai would be 8-9; MMA would be a 10.

A ranking of 1 does not mean that the Wushu school is better or worse than a BJJ school with an aliveness rank of 8. The rank simply is used as a tool to inform the interested consumer as to what is offered at that particular school. If the guy wants to fight in the next UFC, he'll be looking for an aliveness ranking of 8-10; if the guy wants to perform like Jet Li, he'll look to a 1.

It all depends on what the student wants to learn.

What may be difficult for some instructors/owners to swallow, or admit, is in the area of ranking striking, grappling, and weapons.

The vast majority of martial arts I feel would fall in the 4-5 range for striking. The top of the striking arts, as proven through the test of time, is boxing. If you doubt this, ask yourself, who would win in a striking only match between an Olympic Gold Medalist in TKD and an Olympic Gold Medalist in Boxing. The difference between a 9 and a 10 in striking is whether you are being coached by a decent striker with a pro fight record or Emanuel Steward.

Similarly, the difference between a 9-10 in grappling is whether your instructor has successfully competed at local as well as national grappling competitions or is a World Champion from winning the Mundials or Abu Dahbi.

For Hui, the review section is being looked at and may be revamped and updated a bit in the coming months.
    I'm not going to beat the Tai Chi drum here because I think your assessment of 'most' schools is right. But WTF TKD is very alive, it's just the sport they train for has rules which don't map very well to an MMA match or real fight.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 10:44am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're right, WTF was not a good example. What I meant was your typical no contact pulled punch and kick point sparring. The WTF rule set does provide for contact so comps under the WTF rule set would NOT be a 2-3 but closer to a 5-7.

This one is now locked.
    Last edited by GoldenJonas; 5/04/2008 11:00am at .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123