Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Seattle (Ballard), WA
    Posts
    1,776
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It can be good, but depends on the quality of instruction. Dealing with weapons, it does a good job of training you to think and react quicker. I would tend to look for a FMA club that also does some boxing if at all possible. For self defense training, the club should spar with and without weapons.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    349
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by escrimador6
    Yeah, it's starting to happen. My guess is they don't spar at all or they do the spaceman padded suit point sparring. I've even seen it in my town. One of the strap mall places here had a guy teaching FMA that was awful. I'll give them credit for dropping him once it was exposed that he really had no business teaching.
    How did they find out/

  3. #13
    escrimador6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    548
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whosthemaster
    How did they find out/
    Not really sure. All I heard was a few different rumors. Didn't give it much thought since the classes got cancelled.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    349
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by escrimador6
    Not really sure. All I heard was a few different rumors. Didn't give it much thought since the classes got cancelled.
    I've heard bad FMA in the USA lacks sparring. Makes sense since point sparring exists in lots of unarmed martial arts.

  5. #15
    escrimador6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    548
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whosthemaster
    I've heard bad FMA in the USA lacks sparring. Makes sense since point sparring exists in lots of unarmed martial arts.
    I think bad FMA anywhere lacks sparring. I'm also not a big fan of the sparring done with tons of padding.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    349
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by escrimador6
    I think bad FMA anywhere lacks sparring. I'm also not a big fan of the sparring done with tons of padding.
    I meant the States because I've always heard the lawsuit industry and the insurance companies were to blame for the expansion of point-sparring injury free McDojos.

  7. #17
    escrimador6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    548
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whosthemaster
    I meant the States because I've always heard the lawsuit industry and the insurance companies were to blame for the expansion of point-sparring injury free McDojos.
    Thats definitely true, but full-contact can be done. Look at the Dog Brothers. Too my knowledge they have never been sued. My class spars full contact. Its all about waivers and knowing the people you are sparring with.

  8. #18
    DerAuslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,449
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We sparred full contact when I trained kali. The onlt protective gear were cups, lacrosse gloves, & helmets.

  9. #19
    SpringHeeledJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Clapham Common
    Posts
    2,385
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the gym I used to attend they had a Kali class in-between Muay Thai and BJJ. All I ever saw them doing was the rhythmic drill thing where they never hit each other and seemed more interested in looking cool. I thought it looked stupid and pointless so I never even bothered to give it a try. I suppose that was one of the bad schools, huh?


    Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide


    HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.


  10. #20
    escrimador6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    548
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    We sparred full contact when I trained kali. The onlt protective gear were cups, lacrosse gloves, & helmets.
    That's what we use as well.

Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO