Posted On:
    4/06/2008 3:19pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No more Bodog fights?

http://www.fightline.com/news/2008/44/320942.shtml

Dave Meltzer of The Wrestling Observer is reporting that Bodog Fight is finished. Apparently, the fledgling MMA promotion lost upwards of $38 million dollars last year and most of it's employee's have been let go. Proposals to keep the promotion afloat at a smaller budget have been denied and their are no new events in the works.
    I'm not sure if I believe this, but I could see it. I have friends who have worked at their events, and apparently they are very extravagent. They treat the fighters like royalty, but I guess that comes with a price.
    Last edited by elipson; 4/06/2008 3:23pm at .

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 4:10pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I doubt that ate the 38 million though, it probably went to advertising that didn't pay off . . . the messed up deal with ION probably wasn't great for them either.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 5:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a shame but their business model sucked.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 6:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I kinda liked them because they had some good up-and-comers, but at the same time they had a lot of jobbers. They were also one of the first organizations to have women.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 6:43pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good riddance. Bodog was a shitty organization anyways. There are way too many MMA orgs trying to compete with the big boys as it is, the less garbage orgs we have saturating the industry, the better. Now if only the IFL would follow suite...

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 7:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McScary
    Good riddance. Bodog was a shitty organization anyways. There are way too many MMA orgs trying to compete with the big boys as it is, the less garbage orgs we have saturating the industry, the better. Now if only the IFL would follow suite...
    I don't agree with you.

but because I am lazy and not that interrested I am simply going to be a spelling Nazi and make fun the fact you said "Suite" instead of "suit."

Har dee har har

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 8:14pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's wrong with the IFL? They have lots of talent and an interesting format.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 8:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe
    I don't agree with you.

but because I am lazy and not that interrested I am simply going to be a spelling Nazi and make fun the fact you said "Suite" instead of "suit."

Har dee har har
    Well, agree to disagree, I suppose.

But because I am lazy and not that interested, I am simply going to be a spelling Nazi and make fun of the fact that you said "interrested" instead of "interested."

Tee hee hee hee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 9:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    What's wrong with the IFL? They have lots of talent and an interesting format.
    I was always put off by the whole team concept thing. MMA is not a team sport, and I hated how hard the IFL tried to make it like this was NFL or something by getting leagues and giving them dumb names like "the Iowa Silverbacks". I'm not surprised that they are making major changes to their company just to stay in the game; their business model was so illogical to begin with. Also, their fights just seem so much more boring than every other big organization out their. It's like all their fighters just fight like tentative carbon copies of each other. Then, when they get a legend like Marco Ruas or Pat Miletich to come out of retirement to fight for them, they do very little marketing to promote such a big superfight. Lousy org in general, IMO.

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 9:35pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was always put off by the whole team concept thing. MMA is not a team sport, and I hated how hard the IFL tried to make it like this was NFL or something by getting leagues and giving them dumb names like "the Iowa Silverbacks". I'm not surprised that they are making major changes to their company just to stay in the game; their business model was so illogical to begin with. Also, their fights just seem so much more boring than every other big organization out their. It's like all their fighters just fight like tentative carbon copies of each other. Then, when they get a legend like Marco Ruas or Pat Miletich to come out of retirement to fight for them, they do very little marketing to promote such a big superfight. Lousy org in general, IMO.
    The theory was that since fighters train as part of a gym anyway (no one trains alone) that they could have someone from each weight class represent the team and that new up-and-comers could learn from the veteran coaches. Unfortunatley a lot of the veterans were shitty coaches. I think the new format of having training camps represented will work a lot better.

I think there have been a lot of exciting fights in the IFL. What I hate is how they edit down a lot of the fights to only show parts of them.

Anyway, we're getting off topic. This thread is about why Bodog sucks, not about how IFL sucks.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast