223578 Bullies, 4178 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 14
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. elipson is offline
    elipson's Avatar

    Ad Hominem rocks.

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,476

    Posted On:
    4/06/2008 3:19pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    No more Bodog fights?

    http://www.fightline.com/news/2008/44/320942.shtml

    Dave Meltzer of The Wrestling Observer is reporting that Bodog Fight is finished. Apparently, the fledgling MMA promotion lost upwards of $38 million dollars last year and most of it's employee's have been let go. Proposals to keep the promotion afloat at a smaller budget have been denied and their are no new events in the works.
    I'm not sure if I believe this, but I could see it. I have friends who have worked at their events, and apparently they are very extravagent. They treat the fighters like royalty, but I guess that comes with a price.
    Last edited by elipson; 4/06/2008 3:23pm at .
  2. JohnnyCache is offline
    JohnnyCache's Avatar

    All Out of Bubblegum

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,471

    Posted On:
    4/06/2008 4:10pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I doubt that ate the 38 million though, it probably went to advertising that didn't pay off . . . the messed up deal with ION probably wasn't great for them either.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
  3. Goju - Joe is offline
    Goju - Joe's Avatar

    I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,856

    Posted On:
    4/06/2008 5:48pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a shame but their business model sucked.
  4. Kentucky Fried Chokin is offline
    Kentucky Fried Chokin's Avatar

    Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,450

    Posted On:
    4/06/2008 6:21pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I kinda liked them because they had some good up-and-comers, but at the same time they had a lot of jobbers. They were also one of the first organizations to have women.
  5. Nathan McScary is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    468

    Posted On:
    4/06/2008 6:43pm


     Style: Kenpo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good riddance. Bodog was a shitty organization anyways. There are way too many MMA orgs trying to compete with the big boys as it is, the less garbage orgs we have saturating the industry, the better. Now if only the IFL would follow suite...
  6. Goju - Joe is offline
    Goju - Joe's Avatar

    I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,856

    Posted On:
    4/06/2008 7:49pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McScary
    Good riddance. Bodog was a shitty organization anyways. There are way too many MMA orgs trying to compete with the big boys as it is, the less garbage orgs we have saturating the industry, the better. Now if only the IFL would follow suite...
    I don't agree with you.

    but because I am lazy and not that interrested I am simply going to be a spelling Nazi and make fun the fact you said "Suite" instead of "suit."

    Har dee har har
  7. Kentucky Fried Chokin is offline
    Kentucky Fried Chokin's Avatar

    Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,450

    Posted On:
    4/06/2008 8:14pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McScary
    Good riddance. Bodog was a shitty organization anyways. There are way too many MMA orgs trying to compete with the big boys as it is, the less garbage orgs we have saturating the industry, the better. Now if only the IFL would follow suite...
    What's wrong with the IFL? They have lots of talent and an interesting format.
  8. Nathan McScary is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    468

    Posted On:
    4/06/2008 8:54pm


     Style: Kenpo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe
    I don't agree with you.

    but because I am lazy and not that interrested I am simply going to be a spelling Nazi and make fun the fact you said "Suite" instead of "suit."

    Har dee har har
    Well, agree to disagree, I suppose.

    But because I am lazy and not that interested, I am simply going to be a spelling Nazi and make fun of the fact that you said "interrested" instead of "interested."

    Tee hee hee hee
  9. Nathan McScary is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    468

    Posted On:
    4/06/2008 9:20pm


     Style: Kenpo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    What's wrong with the IFL? They have lots of talent and an interesting format.
    I was always put off by the whole team concept thing. MMA is not a team sport, and I hated how hard the IFL tried to make it like this was NFL or something by getting leagues and giving them dumb names like "the Iowa Silverbacks". I'm not surprised that they are making major changes to their company just to stay in the game; their business model was so illogical to begin with. Also, their fights just seem so much more boring than every other big organization out their. It's like all their fighters just fight like tentative carbon copies of each other. Then, when they get a legend like Marco Ruas or Pat Miletich to come out of retirement to fight for them, they do very little marketing to promote such a big superfight. Lousy org in general, IMO.
  10. Kentucky Fried Chokin is offline
    Kentucky Fried Chokin's Avatar

    Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,450

    Posted On:
    4/06/2008 9:35pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McScary
    I was always put off by the whole team concept thing. MMA is not a team sport, and I hated how hard the IFL tried to make it like this was NFL or something by getting leagues and giving them dumb names like "the Iowa Silverbacks". I'm not surprised that they are making major changes to their company just to stay in the game; their business model was so illogical to begin with. Also, their fights just seem so much more boring than every other big organization out their. It's like all their fighters just fight like tentative carbon copies of each other. Then, when they get a legend like Marco Ruas or Pat Miletich to come out of retirement to fight for them, they do very little marketing to promote such a big superfight. Lousy org in general, IMO.
    The theory was that since fighters train as part of a gym anyway (no one trains alone) that they could have someone from each weight class represent the team and that new up-and-comers could learn from the veteran coaches. Unfortunatley a lot of the veterans were shitty coaches. I think the new format of having training camps represented will work a lot better.

    I think there have been a lot of exciting fights in the IFL. What I hate is how they edit down a lot of the fights to only show parts of them.

    Anyway, we're getting off topic. This thread is about why Bodog sucks, not about how IFL sucks.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.