Laugh

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 10:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    and when he pulls out t3h d34dly on him, then what?
    Pull guard.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 10:08pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then laugh some more

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 10:40pm

Style: Aikibujutsu, Shinkendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I happen to be a member of the Aiki-buken, which is a research organization founded by Toshishiro Obata. Aiki-Buken is short for Aikido and Aikibujutsu Tanren Kenkyukai, and is one of the few places where you will find that term used.

I can speak to the quality of instruction of Obata sensei, but not the origin of the term 'Aikibujutsu'. I believe Obata sensei chose 'bujutsu' over 'jujutsu' because the curriculum includes a variety of weapons, not only empty hand techniques. Since he is Japanese, I assume he has a better handle on the language than I do. If you're really interested, you should ask him.

Obata sensei's bio and contact information available on the aiki-buken website or the shinkendo website. You might also try the forum.

Of general bullshido interest is that Obata sensei broke ranks with the majority of Aikidoka when he voiced his opinion that modern Aikido alone was not sufficient for self defense, and that mutodori or empty hand vs sword techniques were not realistic and "techniques for suicide".

Anyways, good luck with your paper.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 10:51pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The issue isn't so much the use of the word, more to do with the fact that Aikibujutsu isn't a martial system in its own right, which is why the OP has discovered there's zero information about it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 10:54pm

Style: inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikibujitsu is an amalgamation of ancient traditional Japanese jujitsu styles designed to blend together as a single method, each complementing the next and compensating any perceived bias or weaknesses therein. The name can be broken down into several parts;

Firstly "Ai" is Japanese for mean harmony and is often associated with blending with your opponent, rather than meeting force with force. A very similar concept is "Ju" as in "Jujitsu" and "Judo" but ju is more commonly interpreted as maximum efficiency and as such can be more forceful than Ai in application. An illustration of this point is the strangles found in Judo which clearly do not blend with the opponent's force.

"ki" is an inner force which traditional Japanese culture believes is like a life force. Very similar beliefs can be found in China where Ki is usually Romanized as Qi or Chi. Modern western medicine and culture often contradicts the belief in Ki but this does not necessarily invalidate the martial application of Ki arts.

"Bujitsu" mean method of warfare, combining "Bu" (warfare) with "jitsu" (method). A related word is "Budo" which means way of war.

Aikibujitsu can therefore be translated as "combat method emphasising harmonized internal energy". I think this description is very apt because Aikibujitsu is both ruthlessly efficient as a combat methodology, and very subtle and sophisticated technically. If you give me a black belt I shall suck your cock.

- I just made that up so it's pretty much all wrong but I'd bet my bottom dollar most "aikibujitsu" instructors would buy it, after all they study a faked art anyway. Good luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 11:01pm

Style: in hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok but why write a paper on a virtually non existent martial art? In fact, why write a paper on any martial art for your instructor? who the **** actually does that?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 11:06pm

Style: inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In all seriousness I don't think it's all that bad a thing. Getting people to write a paper of some sort can force them to think about things and see if they really understand concepts or relative pros and cons of various viewpoints. Of course it's no substitute for sparring but not inherently bad IMO. Whether the OP's instructor uses it for good reasons or just as a bullshit factor is a separate issue.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 11:07pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by boondock lee
    Ok but why write a paper on a virtually non existent martial art?
    Because his "sensei" is most likely full of **** and doesn't know what the **** he's/she's on about.
    In fact, why write a paper on any martial art for your instructor? who the **** actually does that?
    Many organisations require a writen essay as part of a grading process, but normally this is exclusive of low grade yudansha.

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 11:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As suggested by others, the OP should really just tell the teacher "**** You."

HOWEVER, it should be uttered in the same manner that Swan says it to the Orphan gang leader in "The Warriors."
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast