Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 2:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe McCain has changed his position on MMA. A counter example, tho imperfect, is the standing 8 and the 10 in boxing.
    Those are the things that make boxing so needlessly brutal.

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 4:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Couple of things:

Ali exacerbated matters out of the ring with stunts such as the one he did in New York. Some bullies may be familiar with this one: he wanted to show what a chin he had, so he had one of his sparring partners, a brutal-punching heavyweight named, IIRC, Sims, punch him in the head, over and over. I don't recall how long he just stood there in front of the assembled reporters, taking punches to the head. It is reported that his team found him shortly thereafter, away from everyone else in a side room, having considerable breathing difficulty. Unless something has been done to the respiratory system, such difficulty can only likely be from damage to the part of the brain-stem that controls breathing.

The other thing is, given the speed at which hits and combos can happen in standup, three seconds is a fucking eternity, especially for someone who is no longer defending himself. If it is a sport still trying to gain acceptance, MMA doesn't need to set itself up for the kind of situation that will sooner or later result from a three-second human-punching-bag rule.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 6:54pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordi LaForge
    Those are the things that make boxing so needlessly brutal.
    I find that comment puzzling coming from you. Did you forget to take your roids or just smoke a spliff? :toothy2:

Anyway, I haven't seen the Douglas Dedge fight, but that's a somewhat valid point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 7:35pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to this site, it may help.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...1370&zoneid=18

Sharkonis

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    4/07/2008 2:02am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    I find that comment puzzling coming from you. Did you forget to take your roids or just smoke a spliff?
    I'm not a *****, and I would be pissed off to get stopped like that, but I've been flash KO-ed like that and I know for a fact that while I could jump right up a few seconds later, in those few seconds my brain would get rattled around my skull like a bead in a marraca.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    4/07/2008 8:02am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I honestly think that the Houston stoppage might of been a second too soon. However, I'm not sure it would of changed the outcome of the right. However, I think the karo stoppage was spot on. If anyone crumpled to the mat like that after getting struck, I would stop the fight right that instant as well. From where I was sitting that looked like a brutal knock out. Which was sad to me, because I really wanted karo to win and get closer to a title shot.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2008 10:26am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, early stoppages suck. On the other hand, having fighters get needlessly pummeled for an extra 3 seconds "just to make sure" sucks even worse imo. As a fan I would much rather see the occasional early (but safe) stoppage as opposed to someone taking unecessary damage.

For me, the real question (and this is something that only actual fighters-which I am not- are going to be able to answer) is, once a fighter has his bell rung to the point that the ref has begun the proposed 3 second count, is that really going to make any difference in the outcome? I mean, if you're visibly stunned to the point that ref begins to count, is 3 seconds (3 seconds while still getting hit mind you) going to allow many guys to honestly/safely recover?

Also, I thought the Karo stop was legit. Sure he was able to bounce back up quickley, but how much of that was because the fight was ended when it was?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2008 5:45pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordi LaForge
    I'm not a *****, and I would be pissed off to get stopped like that, but I've been flash KO-ed like that and I know for a fact that while I could jump right up a few seconds later, in those few seconds my brain would get rattled around my skull like a bead in a marraca.
    You know, thats the most reasonble comment on this thread yer. We can WTF the refs call all day long but the fact is he is impowered with the abilty to make that call at his discresion, least a towel be thrown in of course.

You made a valid reason for just such a call, Id say your the ................

THread WInner !

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2008 8:20pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Geordi has that right. Getting pounded for 3 seconds while you're out is an awfully long time.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234