Administrator

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 12:44pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    Ah, I just assumed it was a funny way of saying someone was rocked. My bad.

Edit: Interesting point from that article: "It has not been conclusively shown that repeat concussions necessarily lead to cumulative brain damage, and some scientists argue that boxers who get chronic traumatic encephalopathy are genetically predisposed.[11] Boxers with the apolipoprotein Eε-4 gene may be at higher risk for CTE.[11]"
    Yes, I know it isn't conclusive which goes right back to perception. What do people think of with to many hits to the head?
    Ali.

The deaths in boxing attributed to blows don't help. MMA is paying for its image and being punished for being more brutal than boxing (perception again FTW).

Even though Ali has Parkinson's, it is still debated whether he would have developed it or not. Thing is, damn near everyone still blames boxing and repeated blows to the head.

blotter art.

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 12:48pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Yes, I know it isn't conclusive which goes right back to perception. What do people think of with to many hits to the head?
    Ali.

The deaths in boxing attributed to blows don't help. MMA is paying for its image and being punished for being more brutal than boxing (perception again FTW).

Even though Ali has Parkinson's, it is still debated whether he would have developed it or not. Thing is, damn near everyone still blames boxing and repeated blows to the head.

Well, I mean c'mon, getting hit in the head for a living can't be good for you.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 12:51pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Domite
    Well, I mean c'mon, getting hit in the head for a living can't be good for you.
    No really? I mean c'mon is it that hard to figure out why it isn't conclusive?

blotter art.

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 12:54pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think my point still stands, conclusive evidence or not.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 12:58pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You didn't make a point. All you said was what everyone knows.

We (Rooster and Myself) were talking about Parkinson's and Pugilistica Dementia not being conclusive.

Not OMG to many hits to da head are bad. What you did was state the obvious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 1:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tkd, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen written on the issue. 50 push-ups and come back when you think about what you've done.
    I think there is a misunderstanding. He took "3 count" to mean, "Stop the match, give them a 3 count to be conscious, and continue" when the OP meant, "have the ref wait 3 seconds before calling it a KO."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 1:07pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Ali.

I think that the athletic commissions are not respecting the fighters' decisions to place themselves in the way of danger. They may have a potentially inaccurate perception of CTE, but I still argue for a middle ground: the fighter should have some agency. They're not children, most of them, and the commissioners are not their parents.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 1:11pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    I think that the athletic commissions are not respecting the fighters' decisions to place themselves in the way of danger. They may have a potentially inaccurate perception of CTE, but I still argue for a middle ground: the fighter should have some agency. They're not children, most of them, and the commissioners are not their parents.
    Until a death occurs and you are without MMA. If McCain wins you all will be happy they did these things.:)

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 1:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once you've been concussed, and if you're wobbly, YOU ARE CONCUSSED, then continuing the fight is a potentially fatal undertaking. Guys already are allowed to get a little wobbly and continue and that is already risking their life. If you're falling down, that's more than a little wobbly. More risk isn't necessary.

A rule change I would like to see? Knees to the head on the ground.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 1:17pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe McCain has changed his position on MMA. A counter example, tho imperfect, is the standing 8 and the 10 in boxing. For McCain it's okay because the fighter is untouched during the count. But, a fighter is often still rocked after the count and continues to fight. This is why I suggested a 3 count for MMA, even though there is some risk involved, because it's a middle ground. Even a 2 count would suffice. Anything to keep Steve Mazzagatti's mustache outta yo' face.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast