Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    11/24/2003 12:14pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Christian, how did the West Point trip go? I looked for Nathan and Randy at GQ West, but didn't see them anywhere. I was looking forward to getting schooled by Diaz the Younger again :)

The next Grappler's Quest in Vegas is March 27. I would like to try and get a contigent of Bullshido members together the day prior at one of the local schools (Las Vegas Combat Club maybe, or the new Machado place) and have a McQuest. Anyone interested? That way, if anyone wanted, they could compete the next day and make it a two-day event. The first round of drinks after the Quest is on me if this happens. . .
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    11/24/2003 12:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vargas,
    I'm actually not sure if they ended up going. I haven't been in for awhile because of the Westpoint trip and for the last week my brother was here.

I'll give you a PM about the USMA trip.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/24/2003 2:17pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1st Place Jeff Glover (Paragon - *Submitted all opponents - *Most Technical Grappler Award)
    Hey guys, this guy's a friend of mine. Fucking gumby I swear.

Posted On:
    11/24/2003 2:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vargas....congratulations. Sounds like you did well.

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    11/24/2003 3:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, I was pretty happy to get four matches, even though I FUBARed that last one. Omega is right, that guy Glover is a bad mofo. Between him, a guy named Mike Fowler and Russ Miura, the under 160 divisions are pretty much locked up. Believe me, I was glad just to last seven minutes with Miura without getting my legs or ankles cranked. I only wish guys that good could get the public recognition they deserve. They are truly elite athletes but will never make any money or get any big media attention. You would think that ESPN 2 would take a break from showing cheerleading or the World Series of Poker and showcase some of these guys at these tournaments, but that will never happen, I'm quite sure.

I also got a chance to watch Marvin "The Beastman" Eastman grapple in the advanced heavyweight division. That guy is a monster. He lost on points in the finals but he is one of the strongest guys I've ever watched compete in person. His physique looks like something out of a comic book, no ****. He was supposed to fight in Shooto the night before Grappler's Quest but his opponent dropped out for some medical reason. I looked to see if I could spot the scar from his last UFC fight against Vitor Belfort but no dice. Whoever sewed up that cut over his eyebrow did a nice job.
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/24/2003 4:17pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Vargas
    Hey Christian, how did the West Point trip go? I looked for Nathan and Randy at GQ West, but didn't see them anywhere. I was looking forward to getting schooled by Diaz the Younger again :)

The next Grappler's Quest in Vegas is March 27. I would like to try and get a contigent of Bullshido members together the day prior at one of the local schools (Las Vegas Combat Club maybe, or the new Machado place) and have a McQuest. Anyone interested? That way, if anyone wanted, they could compete the next day and make it a two-day event. The first round of drinks after the Quest is on me if this happens. . .
    I'm interested.

Posted On:
    11/24/2003 4:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Vargas. If you get "fucked up" in one of your matches, do the powers that be get mad at you? I mean its tough to handle the peddles with your leg in a cast.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    11/24/2003 4:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard that there is frequently a little shadiness on the part of qualifying yourself on time in at GQ. Have you noticed anything like that? (one year a 4 year judo stud gave a takedown demo and then competed in the intermediate ranks, some bjj purple belt competing as intermediate etc.)

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    11/25/2003 12:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, the Air Force kinds of looks at my grappling with a raised eyebrow. However, since I started sub wrestling in June 2000, I have lost exactly zero days of work due to my training and competing. By contrast, guys are always hobbling into work with broken arms, seperated shoulders, sprained ankles and blown knees from playing softball and basketball on base. In my opinion, submission wrestling is a lot safer for military personnel than 'normal' sports. There is a directive from SOCOM, though, forbidding participation in MMA/Kickboxing events. That came out after some Rangers and other door-kicker types got themselves fucked up and unable to deploy in local pro-fighting events. So I can compete at Grappler's Quest, but no King of the Cage or Gladiator Challenge.

As for sand-bagging at Grappler's Quest, yeah, there are some schools that throw over-qualified guys into the beginner and intermediate division. That is why they added a novice division below beginner, in an attempt to get some more parity between the competitors. Take me, for instance. I've been training since June 2000, slightly under 3.5 years. That puts me in the advanced division (over two years of experience). Yet, I see guys in the intermediate divisions that I recognize from my first Machado tournament in May 2001. So there are grapplers that I know for a fact are over the two year mark. Hell, one of my friends was in a beginner bracket two years ago and the guy he lost to was a Div II college wrestler with 3 pro-MMA matches under his belt. Definitely not a beginner, but there he was.

I think the way they award points helps avoid some of that. For instance, I got fourth in the advanced division. According to the scale GQ uses, my team gets more points from that fourth place than me placing 1st in Beginner or 2nd in Intermediate. Sure, you don't get the personal satisfaction of beating some poor rookie in 15 seconds with a flying armbar, but nothing's perfect :)

So sure, GQ has a problem with guys being dishonest about there experience. Since sub wrestling really doesn't have any belts or ranks, it's tough to keep track of guys and how long they have been around. However, time isn't everything. Diego Sanchez, the terror of New Mexico, has only been submission fighting since the fall of 2001, slightly over 2 years. Granted, he was a state champ in New Mexico high school wrestling, but he's just one of those natural fighters that picked it up really fast. By contrast, there is a cop at Jackson's who been training for damn near 5 years and he still sucks. Every tournament we go to, he gets his ass kicked. Greg stuck him in intermediate this year and he still lost his first match. Even being a sand-bagger didn't help him out.

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    11/25/2003 12:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting, the school I'm... auditing (at this point) had some guys grousing so I was trying to determine if that was mainly because they got worked or bilked.

By the way that was Reno's Charles Gracie school.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast