Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 10:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tkd, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tkd-worker> This should have all the regulations regarding the tests (physical and written, actually) for high dan.
    http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/english/ex...mination08.jsp

Apparently a 6th dan who wins the olympics has their 6 year waiting period between examinations waived. But a 7th dan? No way, you wait.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    4/07/2008 6:56am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tkd-worker
    I guess we don't have anyone here who knows for sure.
    The reason it appears that way is that there is no one single answer. Dan ranks are fucked up in every system, get used to it.
    Apparently, at lower dan ranks, one master can certify another, and some have pretty lax standards.
    Exactly, and it continues to be more fucked up the higher you go in rank.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/07/2008 10:26am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dan ranks are fucked up in every system, get used to it.
    As I understand the higher up you go the more it is about politics not so much techniques
    Like we said there is more going on than you think. It is a problem in every art. Yes, it is even in BJJ.

No, I'm not equating techniques or which is better just the politics/problems in Dan Ranks.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    4/07/2008 3:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys, most you were helpful. I know people can train under others when their teachers pass away, I was asking about those who don't, how they continue to move up. The idea that it is political is interesting. I read somewhere that after 4th dan, promotion has more to do with teaching and spreading the art than it does with physical advancement. I'm happy to hear that one of you thinks it takes a panel of judges in Korea to promote at those levels. I guess we don't have anyone here who knows for sure. Apparently, at lower dan ranks, one master can certify another, and some have pretty lax standards.
    Congrats you've touched the very tip of a massive iceberg

known as antarctica

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    4/07/2008 7:50pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Like we said there is more going on than you think. It is a problem in every art. Yes, it is even in BJJ.
    You know, I actually feel bad for guys that come out to a club and tell the owner "My goal is to be a Black Belt."

These kids just dont get it.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2008 8:22pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Such a list would comprise about 40,000 pages. Every small town in my area has an 8th dan TKD master teaching out of a 12 by 24 ft room, they are everywhere.
    Oh come on brother, show us some love, show us some love. lol

Sharkonis

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 8:08am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Beyond 4th dan, technical development is a matter of personal training & focus, rather than study under a master. The practitioner choses what area of TKD he wishes to explore & develop. Aside from onw pumsae being compulsory, there is no regimented training. Promotions are based on the master's development of Taegwondo as an art, not of his individual practice. Teaching, organizing, promoting the art, etc, are taken into account, & considered by a panel at the Kukkiwon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 8:29am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    And legit Kukkiwon certificates look NOTHING like this. I don't have a scanner hooked up to scan one of mine, but Askari is showing one of of the examples of the kind that some people try to pass off as a Kukkiwon certificate and proof of rank. You know, there are lots of people who are 4th or 5th degree blackbelts, have done the classes and passed the tests who are only certified as a 1st or 2nd Dan by the WTF/Kukkiwon. You (or some legit master you have paid) can't just tell them you are a 5th degree and get that Dan rank/ certification. It goes in order, no rank jumping etc. with the time-in-grade requirements in effect.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 10:27am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by saman
    And legit Kukkiwon certificates look NOTHING like this. I don't have a scanner hooked up to scan one of mine, but Askari is showing one of of the examples of the kind that some people try to pass off as a Kukkiwon certificate and proof of rank. You know, there are lots of people who are 4th or 5th degree blackbelts, have done the classes and passed the tests who are only certified as a 1st or 2nd Dan by the WTF/Kukkiwon. You (or some legit master you have paid) can't just tell them you are a 5th degree and get that Dan rank/ certification. It goes in order, no rank jumping etc. with the time-in-grade requirements in effect.
    Well ****, I'm going to go home and tear up my certificates then. I guess the fact I had a card sucks too, too bad I shredded that one (where's cassius and sirc for witness). Damn, and I found myself on that site too. Site must be fake too. Sucks to me, darn, no more claiming TKD heritage now.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 11:19am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega, do not troll
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast