Sponsored Links Spacer Image

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 10:56am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjafetus
    Fair warning: on that second link you have to type in the name EXACTLY as written on the certificate. Even if you give my first and last name, nationality, and birth date, I won't show up. You have to type in my full middle name, since that's how it is on the certificate.
    Even then it only works if they spelled your name right. I tried to find my name on their list and typed in every variation I could think of and got nothing back. So I dug my card out and discovered that they had spelled my middle name wrong. I was able to find it after that.

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 11:40am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Such a list would comprise about 40,000 pages. Every small town in my area has an 8th dan TKD master teaching out of a 12 by 24 ft room, they are everywhere.
    So who gives these dans, if the master has no living teachers left?

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 11:53am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your specific Master isn't the only one that can rank someone within a style. If that was the case all arts would cease to exist.

Most styles have people similarly ranked to your teacher/master. You just move on.

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 11:58am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, so a 6th Dan may have to travel to someone else's school they didn't train under and take an exam for seventh dan? And Kukkiwon accepts one master's opinion on such high rankings? That surprises me, I've always thought at that level it should involve a team of people judging the exam.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 12:17pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, you are inferring much from my post. My point is you can train under someone else. Teachers die, move, quit, get arrested etc etc etc it is called life.

Also, are you under the impression that each school teaches a completely different form of TKD?

Seriously, unless you go to a different federation why would there be a huge difference?

Your training doesn't end just because life happens. When the others come back they will explain it better. As I understand the higher up you go the more it is about politics not so much techniques.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 12:57pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gfhoward
    OK, so a 6th Dan may have to travel to someone else's school they didn't train under and take an exam for seventh dan? And Kukkiwon accepts one master's opinion on such high rankings? That surprises me, I've always thought at that level it should involve a team of people judging the exam.
    Look, I'm not a fan of TKD. I've been in the middle of a lot of bullshit when it comes to stuff in TKD. You are being an asshole with your line of questionings. I suggest you go curl up in the corner and suck your thumb and contemplate the accusations you're insinuating. Then when you become enlightened you'll realize you'll only need some vaseline to remove your head from your ass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 6:15pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Btw, for KKW dans after... 4th? I believe that you have to be tested by a panel of Masters in Korea. This might have changed. But it's my understanding it does require a board of examiners, not just some random dude going 'yeah him passes'.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 7:51pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DSL
    Btw, for KKW dans after... 4th? I believe that you have to be tested by a panel of Masters in Korea. This might have changed. But it's my understanding it does require a board of examiners, not just some random dude going 'yeah him passes'.
    Or you can buy one from Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Martial-Arts-W...QQcmdZViewItem

# Great Quality Vellum Paper
    # Suitable for Framing
    # 10.5 x 14.5 inches
    # Official WTF Certificate
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 5:18pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That one looks slightly different than mine...

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 10:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys, most you were helpful. I know people can train under others when their teachers pass away, I was asking about those who don't, how they continue to move up. The idea that it is political is interesting. I read somewhere that after 4th dan, promotion has more to do with teaching and spreading the art than it does with physical advancement. I'm happy to hear that one of you thinks it takes a panel of judges in Korea to promote at those levels. I guess we don't have anyone here who knows for sure. Apparently, at lower dan ranks, one master can certify another, and some have pretty lax standards.
    Last edited by tkd-worker; 4/06/2008 10:33pm at .
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast