Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 11:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing, swashbuckling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Trouble with high kicks

I'm a southpaw, and recently I've started trying to utilize my left high kicks more. Unfortunately, it seems like every time I spar a taller opponent and try them they end up being awkward and without power or I end up off-balance. I don't think it's an issue of flexibility, since I've got a 170-175 degree range of motion, and I never have trouble kicking at head height or higher with power on the heavybag, so I don't think it's an issue of poor technique. Maybe high kicks just don't work on opponents that're taller than you? Or am I missing something here?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 11:34am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The higher you kick, the more power you lose. If the guy is taller than you, it doesn't make any sense to try & kick at his head. Use your kick where it will have the most bang for your buck.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 11:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have that range of motion in your lags and you lack power in your kicks, it is a question of technique!
    Ask your coach to watch you when you spar, I think he will find the problem. In most cases people do not turn their hips when they kick, so they block themselves and lose power and range of motion. Also remember you are only going to kick as high as your knee points. So if your knee is pointing towards his hips you are only going to kick with full force up to the hips, everything else will be a trade of, power+speed for more hight.
    Also make sure that when you kick your hip is driving "through" the target and does not stop when you are about to hit it. This is another common mistake.
    For everything else, see my first advice, ask your trainer because he knows you, he can show you the technique and most important, he can see your kicks, we don't.
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 11:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A good part of the problem is this:

the bag is a relatively stationary target that isn't trying to not get hit and is the exact same size and dimension in its entirety.

A person isn't.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 4:03pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will probably lay down money betting you don't rotate your kicks. Additionally if you want help you need to:

a. Tell us what fucking kick you're having problems with.
    b. Video bitch!!!!!

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 4:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    I will probably lay down money betting
    What the ****? This is like saying "I definitely consider this option as a maybe in the rare case that if happens..."
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 4:43pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm gonna second the rotating the hips bit. Sounds you are trying to pick up your knee, balance on your foot and point your kick at his head like a ballerina. No insult intended.

You need to swing for the fences, boyo. Regardless of the human not being stationary like a bag argument, if you can hit it that high on a heavy bag there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to do it to a person, so long as you practice proper distancing.

Anyways, personally- if I'm sparring a taller guy, I don't generally go for head kicks unless he bends his head down alot and I see an opportunity for him to step right into it. If you can kick as high as his head, but don't hit him it's because he has the reach to keep some distance between the two of you, and you are then correct in assuming this puts you off balance and makes you susceptible to sweeps. My strategy against a taller opponent is to chop at them with leg kicks so they fall like a tall tree, than once they get weak, some sharp boxing and clinchwork to seal the deal and end it.

Did your instructor specifically say to work on high kicks during this sparring session?
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 5:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP,

You may also want to consider WHEN you are throwing your high kicks and what you are doing immediately before . You should not be throwing high kicks right off the bat , you need to mix them up with your hands .

and as Omega nicely stated :

VIDEO BITCH !

and kindly asked

WHAT FUCKING KICK ARE YOU USING ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 10:22pm

Style: Hapkido/BJJ(newb)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Assuming that you are using your hips (kick type would help), you could be screwing up your distancing and trying to kick too close-in. Videos would help too....

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 11:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    You need to swing for the fences, boyo. Regardless of the human not being stationary like a bag argument, if you can hit it that high on a heavy bag there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to do it to a person, so long as you practice proper distancing.
    Miss enough times and you can lose confidence in the kick which will make you hesitant.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast