Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2008 9:44pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some techniques aren't really incorporated into the MMA game. The chasse-bas from savate isn't really used, or at the very least I haven't seen it. Same goes with the kick used in Muay Thai (I forget the name of it) that's similar to a front kick except that you drive your opponent backwards similar to the chasse-bas. One of the guys that teaches Muay Thai at my school has remarked on several occasions that the kick isn't used that often by American practitioners of Muay Thai, but is used rather extensively by Thai and Dutch practitioners. For whatever reason, certain techniques from lots of arts aren't incorporated by the majority of MMA guys.

I think one of the reasons that savate isn't used very often is that it's just not as popular or as easily accesible to the majority of guys who want to do MMA. It's much easier to find a boxing gym, karate studio, etc. than a savate school. I don't think I've ever actually seen a savate school, except in France. I'm sure there are a bunch of them, but once again they're simply not as popular.
    Last edited by Kikuchiyo; 4/04/2008 9:48pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2008 9:53pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At some point the majority of the Western world decided to hate/mock France, for this policy to be maintained people couldn't be seen to openly admire a French martial art. It's a really dumb reason but I think it has something to do with this. The issue with the shoes is much more relevant to why we don't see Savate in modern MMA, but there weren't clear standards for equipment when the sport started out. Now it's boardshorts & gloves but there was Pancrase which had no gloves. I personally find it interesting to imagine what the sport would look like if different gear was standard: if the UFC didn't use gloves, or if the gi was worn instead of shorts, or if Savate shoes were the norm.

P.S. In addition to Savate, the French also invented Greco-Roman wrestling. Crazy, I know, given the name but Greco was originally a form of French folk wrestling. When it started to spread & become more popular it was given the name Greco-Roman because someone noticed that ancient histories state the Greek wrestlers never gripped below the waist (however, actual ancient Greek wrestling did allow active sweeping of the legs like in Judo).

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    4/04/2008 11:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We hate france because france sucks. Period. The debate as to why france sucks, will be had another day (unless this thread is lost...then its flame france time)

And gerard gordeau was dutch, and was barefoot in his mma fights...

Its just, i wonder if ANYONE has really thought about trying more savate style striking instead of the ZOMG muay thai sweeping the world...i mean, the distance might do some good...

Just some thoughts...

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    4/04/2008 11:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found Savate to have more chambered kicks than Muay Thai, in fact I found the kicking to very similar to my GoJujitsu.

Also the kicks used the instep and balls of the feet a lot more.

Which when wearing shoes is a good thing. Bare feat though?? Maybe not.

I do think from Karate or savate chambered kicks for quick painful inside leg strikes is a good thing and underutilized in MMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 12:03am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You just do not see Savate offered as a style to study in the US. The outfits do not help, either.

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 12:05am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to make a unitard joke but then I thought about rash guards and fight shorts, especially the "Hey Look at My Balls" tight ones and uhh you know glass houses and bricks and all that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 12:16am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe
    I was going to make a unitard joke but then I thought about rash guards and fight shorts, especially the "Hey Look at My Balls" tight ones and uhh you know glass houses and bricks and all that.
    Good point, I forgot how ridiculous I look in my MT shorts. I would like to say sorry to Savate and unitards.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 2:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe
    I found Savate to have more chambered kicks than Muay Thai, in fact I found the kicking to very similar to my GoJujitsu.

Also the kicks used the instep and balls of the feet a lot more.

Which when wearing shoes is a good thing. Bare feat though?? Maybe not.

I do think from Karate or savate chambered kicks for quick painful inside leg strikes is a good thing and underutilized in MMA.
    I mean, i know that the shoes would protect your feet, but those savate kicks come out of no where it seems...

And i'd think a good one to the head would be all she wrote...

If there was more Savate instruction in the US, do you think savate would have a bigger role in MMA?

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 8:32am

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wasn't one of the early UFC champs a Savate guy?

From what I have seen it is a perfectly competent striking style with bad uniforms. Savate was a bit shakey in the past- compare the videos of old savate fights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[yt]OZaNtm-5mCo

To old tyme boxing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[yt]to363U0L6os

Old Judo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[yt]n0f7_krKN5Q

Of course looking at it now:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[yt]k5rwNA-1__E

It has improved a lot (as have all arts to a degree). I think the lack of access to savate gyms keeps people from knowing about it.

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 8:49am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's been a few K-1 fighters who have trained in Savate
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast