8/18/2010 3:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gopu View Post
    I guess this is one of the few times us Canadians have got you guys beat:
    http://www.canadaammo.com/product.ph...3&cat=0&page=1

There are plenty of short barrels here and there are no restrictions :)

On the subject, I agree with more of what Lord Skeletor was saying. Get a gun, hold up in a room and wait for cops. There's a reason people hate campers in video games. As long as you're using a reasonable caliber (no .17, no .458) I wouldn't worry too much about it. A gun is a gun and will serve you well. You can't plan for every scenario.

For a shotgun, can't go wrong with the 870. I had one and it was nice but I discovered that I prefer old style guns better so I sold it and bought one of these:
    http://www.canadaammo.com/product.ph...7&cat=0&page=1
    :D
    Nice Lupara you got there.

That supper-stubby is pretty cool too, but why even bother with the shoulder stock? It just looks funny, and it's not like you'll be aiming that at anything beyond 10 yards anyways...

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 3:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    That is the one I have. It is a very attractive shotgun.
    Excellent taste, it is beautiful. I have a soft spot for shotguns and that one just 'does it' for me.

The only thing I'm not entirely comfortable with is that mine has both a butt stock and a pistol grip. It feels weird. However, I purchased it that way on purpose because the grip+stock version is much easier for my wife to handle versus either model with only one of those features.
    excellent point.
    Shotgun are intimidating and the missus just doesn't want to mess with it, although there is a pink Mossburg I might be able to purchase and convince her to shoot. She agreed to a handgun, provided it was pink. She agreed to a rifle, provided it was pink. This has gotten me thinking about entry for a shotgun. I think the pistol grip feature, coupled with it being pink, would make it more accessible for her.

I'm taking her to the gun range next weekend in fact. She goes every two months. She's not crazy about it, but realizes the necessity of being familiar with the armament available to her.
    smart man.
    have fun.

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 4:25pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Was that a typo, or have you really been using shotguns with eight inch barrels? I know the military doesn't have barrel length restrictions like us civilians, but a ten inch delta (the civilian minimum is eighteen inches) is surprising.
    No, 8" is correct.

jnp: The Remington 870 looks just about perfect for my purposes. Thanks.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2010 4:51pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Nice Lupara you got there.

That supper-stubby is pretty cool too, but why even bother with the shoulder stock? It just looks funny, and it's not like you'll be aiming that at anything beyond 10 yards anyways...
    It needs the stock to be overall 26.5" long otherwise it falls into a different category of firearm and has more restrictions.

Posted On:
    8/19/2010 7:28pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gopu View Post
    It needs the stock to be overall 26.5" long otherwise it falls into a different category of firearm and has more restrictions.
    Fair enough!

Posted On:
    8/19/2010 8:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I just got back from the local gun store, and I got exactly what I wanted for roughly the prices I was hoping to get.

Brand new Gen 4 glock 19 w/ night sights (military/leo edition) + Remington 870 Express (black polymer) + 2 boxes of shells + a box of 9mm + sales tax = $851. They also threw in a 6 month membership to their gun range (I can go and shoot there anytime I want for free, and 5 free gun rentals, if I want to try something out. I can bring my own ammunition, or buy theirs. I also get a 5% discount on anything in the store for the next 6 months, including ammunition.) I paid full price for the Remington ($325), but obviously got a good deal on the glock. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with my purchase, and can't wait to shoot both weapons this weekend. Especially the glock. It feels perfect in my hands.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 1:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You sure you didn't....tactically acquire...that Glock?

I'm curious, why did you go with the 19? Glock has several options available that are the same size, but higher caliber. I'm personally not a fan of 9mm, unless its hollow points, but I think that's more personal preference then anything.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 2:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad credit View Post
    I'd like to know what the shooters on this forum think of the revolver pistols that can chamber .410 shotgun rounds. It would be easier to move around in a crowded house than a long gun, but for a shotgun it's underpowered, isn't it? Espicially considering the pistol .410 round is smaller than the actual shotgun shell. The old guy at the gun store told me the spread is a lot wider and the range much shorter than a shotgun 'cause the barrel is so much shorter. Wouldn't it be good for room to room or down a hallway, though? It'd be hard to miss, I imagine. I'm just wondering if it would put someone down quick. Can you get slugs and different types of shot in pistol .410?

Garbage. Look into them, I've yet to see a decent review. I guess if you put it up to someone's head and squeeze, it'd work. But ****, at any sort of stand off between you and joe schmo, **** sucks dick for crack.

Also, why is everyone bitching about the size of shotguns for home defense? This isn't 1955, shotguns are tactiCOOL now. With pistol grips, fancy buttstocks and even minimum barrel lengths. I have a shotgun that is literally a little longer then my arm.

It doesn't have a buttstock on it, just a pistol grip. Its tactiCOOL. I also have a shotgun with a buttstock and a pistol grip, and will admit that is a bit bulky for going in and out of rooms. But lets be real, if someone breaks into my house, I'm not gonna solo stack on the door and buttonhook in...I'm gonna post up down the long axis of the hallway and wait for a target of opportunity...

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 4:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    I paid full price for the Remington ($325),
    That is a killer deal on the Remmy 870. They usually go for twice that much around these parts.

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 5:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    You sure you didn't....tactically acquire...that Glock?

I'm curious, why did you go with the 19? Glock has several options available that are the same size, but higher caliber. I'm personally not a fan of 9mm, unless its hollow points, but I think that's more personal preference then anything.
    1.) My woman will be shooting it as well as me, so I want something that I know she can control. To be completely honest, I even prefer shooting 9mm out of a polymer handgun to anything bigger.

2.) I will be keeping a couple magazines loaded with a JHP/FMJ combo. Hollowpoint works just fine for stopping power.

3.) 9mm is almost always easier to get than .40 S&W and .45ACP. On top of that, it is generally a good bit cheaper, too. I would rather be able to shoot more often, since I won't be carrying, and plan on shooting this weapon as a hobby. I'm thinking about picking up a .22 plinker for the same reasons, actually.

4.) 9mm is what I'm used to shooting. Go with what you know.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 89 LastLast