Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 12:36pm

Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with everything in your second post, thanks for clarifying and adding insite.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/08/2008 8:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Searching

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like my shotgun. It has been a good friend for both pheasent and trap shooting. I load mine with #6 shot. It's what I have laying around. I do keep some slugs and buck shot around for the zombie invasion, though.
    In my state you can only have three rounds in the tube so reloading is a concern.

Police response time is always a concern. They are mostly around to protect property. At the NIU shooting they had a little over a 1 minute response time, which is amazing. They did not stop the shooter. You better know your gun, your environment, and your law. We all don't live in Texas. I hope this makes sense.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 7:59am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kubili
    I like my shotgun. It has been a good friend for both pheasent and trap shooting. I load mine with #6 shot. It's what I have laying around. I do keep some slugs and buck shot around for the zombie invasion, though.
    In my state you can only have three rounds in the tube so reloading is a concern.

Police response time is always a concern. They are mostly around to protect property. At the NIU shooting they had a little over a 1 minute response time, which is amazing. They did not stop the shooter. You better know your gun, your environment, and your law. We all don't live in Texas. I hope this makes sense.
    Yeah...that particular incident just shows you that the exact opposite can also occur given the circumstances when dealing with police response times. Being a police officer for 16 years, I can tell you that it always one of those situations where when you need one, our response time is going to be high because we're halfway across our district, fighting traffic and assholes who won't "make a hole" for use to get there in a super-quick manner; especially in a true emergency. In this case, there happened to be cops nearby and I believe that the campus police made a quick response as well. In the end...it goes to show you that even with a one-minute response time, people who can't protect themselves are going to die. It just pisses me off to see some #$!$*&$ idiot of a populace or governor effectively sign the death warrants of so many without giving them the benefit of defending themselves. They go to the media and say----"You remember what you were like in college---would you want a bunch of doped up and drunk kids carrying guns around your campus?!?---that's why there are no weapons on campus." Convienently omitting the fact that we're only talking about 21 year olds here (seniors) who have legal CCW permits and have had training (not to mention that most states have prerequisites on age (21), training, and classes before you can get a CCW.

Let's be realisitic here...a room full of unarmed victims about ready to be executed, can be no worse off if there were 2-3 people in there with concealed weapons. It could ensure that nobody dies and all we end up with is a dead gunman. At least they would have a chance versus no chance....
    Last edited by Lord Skeletor; 4/09/2008 10:27am at .

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 7:54am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I apologize for the thread Necro, but I have a question along this vein, and this is the first thread on a similar topic that my search found.

I'll be moving into an apartment in the next few months, and would like to purchase a shotgun. Primarily, I am purchasing this shotgun to shoot for fun. I do not intend to hunt with it. Home defense is kind of a secondary concern, though I suppose it is something to consider. My primary experience with shotguns is 8" breeching shorties, which are great for that, but not really what I'm looking for. I'll be farting around at the local gun stores in the next few weeks, but I thought it'd be good to ask here as well. Asking my coworkers for their opinions is annoying, because they are all far too opinionated to be of any use to me.

My requirements are as follows:

12 gauge
    Durable
    Not high maintenance
    Preferably 500 dollars or less, though I am willing to spend up to 700 if I get an amazing deal.

It can be ugly, though I would prefer something that looked like a shotgun as opposed to something from HALO. I would prefer a buttstock to a pistol grip. I don't think it's going to be all that hard to find something I like, but any recommendations would be appreciated.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 8:17am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't go wrong with the old police work horse, the Remington 870. While they're pretty stiff when new, the broken in ones are smooth as glass and rarely suffer from FTF or ejection issues.

I had a Mossberg on loan for several years when I was younger. It also worked well, but was never as smooth as the 870.

I bought a Benelli Supernova last year and am still pleased with it.

Those are the only three shotguns I am qualified to speak about so that's it for me.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 11:13am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I had a Mossberg on loan for several years
    this is currently what I have and it's fine for pretty much just sitting there if I need and and shooting it on the occasional weekend.
    howerver:

I bought a Benelli Supernova last year and am still pleased with it.
    that black synthetic is beautiful.
    I like.
    I might need an upgrade.

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 12:23pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    My primary experience with shotguns is 8" breeching shorties, which are great for that, but not really what I'm looking for.
    Was that a typo, or have you really been using shotguns with eight inch barrels? I know the military doesn't have barrel length restrictions like us civilians, but a ten inch delta (the civilian minimum is eighteen inches) is surprising.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 1:46pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Was that a typo, or have you really been using shotguns with eight inch barrels? I know the military doesn't have barrel length restrictions like us civilians, but a ten inch delta (the civilian minimum is eighteen inches) is surprising.

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/870mcs.htm Robstafarian, hope this answers for you.

I also run an 18" 870 for home defense. That is my preference.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 2:16pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    that black synthetic is beautiful.
    I like.
    I might need an upgrade.
    That is the one I have. It is a very attractive shotgun.

The only thing I'm not entirely comfortable with is that mine has both a butt stock and a pistol grip. It feels weird. However, I purchased it that way on purpose because the grip+stock version is much easier for my wife to handle versus either model with only one of those features.

I'm taking her to the gun range next weekend in fact. She goes every two months. She's not crazy about it, but realizes the necessity of being familiar with the armament available to her.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 2:45pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    I guess this is one of the few times us Canadians have got you guys beat:
    http://www.canadaammo.com/product.ph...3&cat=0&page=1

There are plenty of short barrels here and there are no restrictions :)

On the subject, I agree with more of what Lord Skeletor was saying. Get a gun, hold up in a room and wait for cops. There's a reason people hate campers in video games. As long as you're using a reasonable caliber (no .17, no .458) I wouldn't worry too much about it. A gun is a gun and will serve you well. You can't plan for every scenario.

For a shotgun, can't go wrong with the 870. I had one and it was nice but I discovered that I prefer old style guns better so I sold it and bought one of these:
    http://www.canadaammo.com/product.ph...7&cat=0&page=1
    :D
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast