Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2008 1:40pm

Style: Aikibujutsu, Shinkendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shotguns for the house

I've been thinking that I might get a shotgun. They seem like fun, and I like the idea of having heavier firepower on hand if, you know, WWIII breaks out or something.

I've heard lots of people advocate shotguns for home defense. They point out that it's easy to hit your target (when firing shot), packs a punch, and makes a real scary noise when chambering a round in the dark.

I mentioned this to a military friend of mine, who scoffed and told me to stick with my handgun. His points were that a handgun turns corners faster and packs plenty of 'punch'. He also reminded me that 00 buckshot, while devastating, is not ideal for use in a house with people you care about.

Military types with experience in CQB, FISH, CQC, or <insert equivalent acronym here> what are your thoughts on using a shotgun indoors?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2008 7:44pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not military, but something you also want to keep in mind is bullet penetration. 00 buckshot will have less individual kinetic energy that will be more likely to be stopped by walls than a handgun bullet. The last thing you want is for your stray shots to go through the walls of your house hitting your family and neighbors when you weren't even aiming for them.

Also, though a handgun will turn corners, you'll still need to either be lucky with where you hit your target for immediate incapacitation, or pump several rounds into them first before they stop. A shotgun blast ANYWHERE on the body will be taking a big chunk of flesh out, that I guarantee will drop them in their tracks. And even if they were wearing body armor, a full shotgun blast to the chest will completely smash their ribcage.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2008 8:32pm

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are really concerned about penetration, don't shoot a gun in the house. Maybe you could try birdshot. But not penetrating walls alsom means not piercing enough flesh.

One cool thing to keep in mind about a shotgun, is buckshot for the close encounters, and slugs for when battling it out with your neighbors during civil insurrection.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/04/2008 8:43pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to say a few things. None of which make any sense. So treat me as... a random internet poster whose advice should never taken in place of a professional...errr wait.

Your military friend suggests a handgun over a shotgun in a house? Ask him if he has ever cleared a building or room before. Might give you some indicator right there. Either answer he gives - ask him this - when clearing a room or house would you rather clear it with a handgun or a shotgun. (Because that is essentially what you are doing in home defense)

This is a no brainer.

In terms of over penetration...if you live in an apartment it won't matter which you use. Your neighbors are gonna be in trouble. Frangible rounds mitigate some of the danger but lets be real...it's fuckin sheetrock. If you live in a house I wouldn't worry so much.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2008 8:59pm

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I Will sum up what every instructor who had two brain cells has repeated over and over and over again. The hand gun is there to get you to a shot gun. the shot gun is there to a long gun. The long gun is there to get the **** out of there. or in internet words. Bare hands < Hand wielded weapon < Hand Gun < Shotgun < Long gun < Out of danger.

Infidel

Posted On:
    4/04/2008 9:03pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Innis

Military types with experience in CQB, FISH, CQC, or <insert equivalent acronym here> what are your thoughts on using a shotgun indoors?
    Are US soldiers allowed using shotguns on people?
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 12:42am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah. But we mostly use them for breaching.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 1:04am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Innis
    ..//..Military types with experience in CQB, FISH, CQC, or <insert equivalent acronym here> what are your thoughts on using a shotgun indoors?
    Good for removing doors at their hinges ;-)
    Bad for self inflicted collateral damage
    Good for low skill/high hit probability
    Bad(ish) for mobility in confined space
    Good for pwnage factor
    Bad for self pwnage of own family (depends upon the construction of your home)
    Good value for money
    Bad for street cred
    Good for not having to wait for a gun licence
    Bad for not being able to conceal it on you

--Dave

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 1:45am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which would you recommend I load up if I heard a suspicious noise downstairs/outside and was concerned about defending my home? 00 shot or slugs?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 7:05am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i've heard some fairly persuasive arguments in favor of #1 buck for sd. big enough to go through one person, not big enough to go through two. puts more net surface area (lead) in contact with the target than #00.

my shotgun's loaded with #2, but then, mine's a 20ga...

unless you're acutely concerned about home invasion bear-ery, slugs are pretty significant overkill.
    Last edited by pauli; 4/05/2008 7:08am at .
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast