Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 9:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Along the wannabe train of thought..I am noticing more and more of them at the gym as well. At least three guys who wear those goddamn UFC hoodies work out at the Goodlife downtown. Funny thing, one of them is a Slavic guy who is so obviously concerned with his appearace it isn't even funny, he tries walking around like he's a hard ass with his stupid red UFC sweater on and a towel slung around his shoulders. One day I decided to do a little bag work and I noticed him watching me through the glass while he's on the bike. Now the guy puts his head down every time he walks by me.
    I'm not trying to sound tough or anything, but I find **** like that funny.

As for the fight - one other tactical comment : When Serra was exposing his back to St.Pierre I kept thinking 'rear naked choke, choke, put him in a choke..why doesn't he choke him out?' Then I realized that although Serra had his back to GSP on several occassions he ALWAYS had his head low and one arm protectively near his jaw to prevent GSP from snapping on a choke without taking the arm with him. Then he's left with a head and arm, which is little good in MMA. Just an interesting little thing that makes you realize how different things can appear when watching the fight from afar. What seems easy or apparent is not always so.
    Goju, if the ON Government gets its act together sooner than later we will make a night of it with Hank and some other TO bullies for sure. I hope we see UFC at Air Canada within a year or so...
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 9:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe
    The Affliction shirts were INSANE and all worn by wannabes

Me and my friend met Eric Shaffer in a restaurant, and my friend is wearing a Koral shirt. And Shaffer's like "You must train" (my bud trains at Joslins)

Not one single person I spoke with who trains was wearing an Affliction shirt

Here's my thing

MMA fans I love, UFC fans - not so much. Affliction I HATES IT.

And the Affliction wannabe drunken idiots yelleing at girls on Cresent street - who were probably from Toronto. Were sooo embarrassing.

Luckily it wasn't so bad except the guy behind me knowingly said to hos friend during the Doerkson fight. "He's going for a chicken wing (kimura)" Which was an Oy Vey moment.
    Were you there alone? I thought you had a buddy coming with you?
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 10:09pm

Style: No gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ

As for the fight - one other tactical comment : When Serra was exposing his back to St.Pierre I kept thinking 'rear naked choke, choke, put him in a choke..why doesn't he choke him out?' Then I realized that although Serra had his back to GSP on several occassions he ALWAYS had his head low and one arm protectively near his jaw to prevent GSP from snapping on a choke without taking the arm with him. Then he's left with a head and arm, which is little good in MMA.
    i've been re-thinking my jits game after rolling with a new instructor covering for my coach.

he gives his back up all the time and goes for crazy sweeps while he turtles.

after the fight serra mentioned that he was going for a sweep he'd been training a lot.

could it be that he was going for a sweep from turtle?

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 5:41am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Along the wannabe train of thought..I am noticing more and more of them at the gym as well. At least three guys who wear those goddamn UFC hoodies work out at the Goodlife downtown. Funny thing, one of them is a Slavic guy who is so obviously concerned with his appearace it isn't even funny, he tries walking around like he's a hard ass with his stupid red UFC sweater on and a towel slung around his shoulders. One day I decided to do a little bag work and I noticed him watching me through the glass while he's on the bike. Now the guy puts his head down every time he walks by me.
    I'm not trying to sound tough or anything, but I find **** like that funny.
    There are guys like that at my gym too. I see them lifting and flexing and then doing jabs and **** in the mirror.
    Then they see me run 800m, do 20 burpees, 20 pushup, and 20 situps and run 800m more. They just watch me run the track over and over.
    They dont have heavy bags at my gym, but I have one at home I use. I wouldnt use theirs anyway. Despite my internet persona, I keep my training to myself.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 7:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Hippo
    after the fight serra mentioned that he was going for a sweep he'd been training a lot.

could it be that he was going for a sweep from turtle?
    I believe Serra might have been talking about sweeps from guard. The consequences for turtling in MMA are much more severe than turtling in pure submission grappling, something I'm sure Serra's ribs can attest to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 7:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    I believe Serra might have been talking about sweeps from guard.
    I'd have to watch it again, but he was getting his feet in GSP's hips a lot and shrimping out, thought at the time he was setting something up. Very hard to sweep a guy with GSPs level of wrestling skill, though.

I really like what Hermes Franca and Demian Maia have been doing in using leg-lock attempts to get the sweep.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 7:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Were you there alone? I thought you had a buddy coming with you?
    No my friend was there.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 8:33am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    I really like what Hermes Franca and Demian Maia have been doing in using leg-lock attempts to get the sweep.
    On a much more minor level, I train with another member here, Zapruder, who's been working the **** out of that. It works well for him, but then again he was a leg lock guy beforehand.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 9:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ironically today my UFC Fight Club T-shirt (joined it to get tickets to Montreal) arrived in the mail today.

So now I officially own a posser T Shirt, and am wearing it now.

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 11:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe
    Ironically today my UFC Fight Club T-shirt (joined it to get tickets to Montreal) arrived in the mail today.

So now I officially own a posser T Shirt, and am wearing it now.

Yes, but have mastered the poser-posse waddle?

It was much in evidence in Montreal over the weekend. You know the walk: arms held out wide like they're heavily-muscled, even when--as was almost always the case--they were more like spaghetti than guns. Hands clawed an' ready to grab, even though there's nothing to grab. Big wide steps, the side-to-side sway as if the back is just one big injury, and the monobrow glare, like they're trying to figure out why they're walking like hypertrophic giants even though they're 180-pound shrimps...or even shrimpier than that.

I carry 229 at last measure, am a bit over six feet tall, work out from four to seven-thirty AM, and don't eat much. So why the **** do I not walk like that? Why is it that not one serious trainer I know walks like that...unless they've put their back out--and then it's only until they're better? The best thing was, the more midget-like they were, the more they did the poser-posse waddle--stoopid glare included.

We duh reel gorrillaz, we iz...no insult to actual gorillas intended: these idiots have a long way to evolve before they can claim to have reached gorilla-level. Duh, yuh-huh-uhuh.
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 LastLast