Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 2:45pm

Style: Xing Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Apparently, there was a bogus interview saying he spent 10 years in prison. I don't know because, I really never looked into the matter.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a planted to push his "streetfighter" image.
    Regardless, he is still profiting off of the “streetfighter” image. That is the crux of the issue, that image is very bad for the future of mma as a publicly accepted sport. If elite xc is going to continue to promote Kimbo as a thug, true of false, it will go to further the idea that fighters are thugs and that mma events are little better that illegal street fights. As for Kimbo as a person, I don’t know the man and I don’t know that he should be penalized for his past but it seems like he is being rewarded for it and that is just insane. My respect for him is lessened by his reluctance to distance himself from his past and his willingness to cash in on it as well as the fact that he has never really been tested in the ring.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 3:05pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kimbo seems to be the victim of irrational hate or irrational nut-riding. He has a lot of potential and his management is making it known, unfortunately, the internet's existence has made a lot of idiots believe that there's a big tough black guy that knocks people out real fast and that as such, he's UFC champion material. Right now, he's not, as everyone's said.

Two fights come to my mind:

Houston Alexander vs. Thiago Silva and Rameau Sokoudjou vs. Lyoto Machida;

Two big muscl-y black dudes with quick knock-outs against big name fighters hyped and nut-ridden until their moments of defeat when their lack of skill and training became very clear. Both destroyed by smaller, undefeated Brazilians that spend more time training than most of us do breathing.

I also wish Kimbo luck, but if he does gain success, it will be for, potentially, three reasons:

1. Bas Rutten is his trainer.
    2. He adapts a more eclectic game.
    3. He keeps taking on has-beens and nobodies.

Eliminate #3 and I'm all for it. I understand Chuck's jealousy/concern/whatever, but he's wrong for the wrong reasons. Kimbo is working hard (see his youtube training videos) and hasn't had an illegal street fight filmed in quite some time.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 3:25pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by anguirus
    Regardless, he is still profiting off of the “streetfighter” image.
    That is the crux of the issue, that image is very bad for the future of mma as a publicly accepted sport.
    Right MMA was considered full of Choir Boys until Kimbo arrived.
    I was actually addressing the felony or not issue.

If elite xc is going to continue to promote Kimbo as a thug, true of false, it will go to further the idea that fighters are thugs and that mma events are little better that illegal street fights.
    They are selling his popularity. This guy was famous BEFORE he was signed by EliteXC. He brings an entire different demographic to MMA. Not saying it is right but, the Bad Boy image has been selling things forever.

Funny how the EliteXC promotion is his fault.

As for Kimbo as a person, I don’t know the man and I don’t know that he should be penalized for his past but it seems like he is being rewarded for it and that is just insane.
    He claims in the interview it was a planted story. He says he has never been a felon. They say he has only been paid for one of those illegal fights? So, what exactly is he being rewarded for?

Really, the only benefit is for elitexc. They took an internet sensation signed him and are reaching an entirely new demographic. How they sell him is entirely out of his control. You know just like the UFC giving brand new fighters scary nicknames.

My respect for him is lessened by his reluctance to distance himself from his past and his willingness to cash in on it as well as the fact that he has never really been tested in the ring.
    He has fought two times. Seriously, if he immediately received a title fight people would cry. He is picking so called easy opponents people are crying. They say he is a streetfighter OMG illegal people are crying.

According to this post, you should have never had any respect for him in the first place. So, how can your respect be lessened?

MMA=Thugs existed before Kimbo even got to elite/xc PAID status.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 3:37pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.elitexc.com/fighter/show/kimboslice
    Quote Originally Posted by EliteXC Web Site
    Kimbo Slice is a throwback to the early days of organized mixed martial arts in the U.S. during a time when you didn't need necessarily need a black belt in Jiu-Jitsu, amateur wrestling credentials, or a K-1 striking background in order to be a major player. While many fighters in MMA have paid their dues in the gym, Slice paid his on the street by fighting for cash in unsanctioned street fights, many of which were filmed and distributed via the Internet on YouTube.

Through the power of the Internet, Slice went from being an anonymous backyard brawler to being a multi-media superstar almost seemingly overnight. With a rabid fan base that was growing exponentially, many of Slice's fans would go to mixed martial arts message boards proposing "dream matches" against legitimate fighters from the world of sanctioned fighting. Slice's legend grew and promoters became intrigued by the idea of luring him into MMA.

A star varsity football player at Miami Palmetto High School, Slice eventually began working in the security field as a bouncer and also as a bodyguard. It was while working as bodyguard for RK Netmedia in which he would get his big break at Internet stardom.

RK learned that Slice was fighting in scheduled non-sanctioned street fights for cash. Soon after hearing about Kimbo's fights an idea was born to record a fight and show it on the Internet. These fights involved little technique and were primarily brawls but Slice showed tremendous proficiency with his hands and dominated many of his on-camera opponents. The Internet clips became a hit and more fights were arranged as Kimbo's legend grew.

Kimbo now trains full time under renowned fighter and coach, Bas Rutten, who has transformed him into a professional mix martial artist on his pursuit to become EliteXC Heavyweight champion.
    EliteXC definitely is cashing in on his image as a former street-fighter in this surprisingly badly-edited fighter profile. However, they don't mention his criminal record at all. Whether or not you approve of unsanctioned, mutually agreed-upon street fights is a matter of opinion, not the law. As IIF pointed out, MMA already has a bad boy image, and promotors don't exactly try to discourage that. That's not Kimbo Slice's doing, it's part of the business. If you disagree with the way MMA promotors run their business, don't give them your money.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 3:42pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Side note: If I could pull off what Kimbo is doing right now, I'd be seriously tempted. Whether or not he is successful is largely up to him at this point. Sure, he has a long way to go before he is taken seriously by experienced MMA fighters, but he seems to be sincere in his effort to do what it takes to get there.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 4:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a bunch of whiny bitches.

Kimbo is fun to watch.

He actually seems like a decent guy, who is fairly articulate.

His street fights are real. Say what you want about them, but most of you bitches would be shitting your pants if you had to fight Kimbo on the street. Or if you fought some of the people that he fought. It's ok. Admit it.

And, just because it was on the street, doesn't mean that he doesn't have skills. That dude can fight...and we'll see if he can translate that into MMA.

I like the guy. I think he is fun and brings some good energy to the fight.

I have seen a bunch of interviews with him and he is always very humble, so I really can't find a reason to dislike the guy.

Who cares what he did in the past? ****, I'm sure a lot of us have done **** in the past we are not proud of.

He seems to be training hard, I've heard him mention his kids on several occasions...what the ****? Give the guy a break.

He's not the one doing the over-the-top promoting.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, well, well, if the felony thing and being in prison and being a POS is not true, then a lot of people are going to be dissapointed.

Hell, most likely they'll hate him more because they won't have someone to point their pristine-n-manicured colonoscopic fingers at anymore.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 4:59pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One more thing. Kimbo street fights weren't illegal. They were matches in private property by consenting adults. There is nothing illegal about it (sans betting or making profit from those fights, something which I won't speculate about since I know nothing of it.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 6:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kimbo has always been extremely respectful to his opponents in every bareknuckle fight I've seen him in(this is the main reason I won't hear a bad word against him), and he has carried that into mma with him, as a high profile fighter for whatever reason, he serves as a positive example to others.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    4/04/2008 11:42am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, well, well, if the felony thing and being in prison and being a POS is not true, then a lot of people are going to be dissapointed.
    That was my main problem with him. If it's not true... *shrug* Still don't like the "image" he's cashing in on, but that's just part of the game.

Hell, most likely they'll hate him more because they won't have someone to point their pristine-n-manicured colonoscopic fingers at anymore.
    Wow. What a bitch you're being, Macho.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast