Sponsored Links Spacer Image

blotter art.

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 7:36am

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon
    he's just being Dana's propaganda puppet again.
    Yeah, thats my vote. Anyone outside of the UFC who gets popular has to get the Fedor treatment, I suppose.

I wonder how long until Liddel starts shitting on Cung?

That would be kind of Ironic, no?

"He's just a striker with good takedown defense! ...Oh, wait."

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 8:06am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsampras3
    Wow I didn't know Chuck was a purple belt.
    How can this fact (and the fact that he's a former wrestler) escape people when it gets announced over and over as if Chuck were some obscure fighter coming out of nowhere?

Oh well.

I see Chuck's point regarding Kimbo, but I hope it's not hate. Reservations about his skills, reservations about the negative impact it could have in MMA, I could understand that. Hate? No, I could not, and I honestly don't think "hate" is the right word for describing what Chuck is saying regarding Kimbo.

There is nothing to hate about Kimbo and I hope he does well (and I hope he starts fighting more upper-level fighters to really test him... as it should be.)
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 4/03/2008 8:09am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 8:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chuck Liddell's a playa hater? Chuck Lidell is a motherfucking playa hater?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 8:29am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Much as I would like to see Kimbo respond with "Chuck Liddell is just famous for thumbing a bunch of people in the eye", Chump has a point.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 8:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Domite
    I wonder how long until Liddel starts shitting on Cung?

That would be kind of Ironic, no?

"He's just a striker with good takedown defense! ...Oh, wait."
    Except that Liddel's takedown defence consists of good hips and a supernatural sprawl, whereas Cung's consists of a greasy wad of bill thrust into the hands of his opponents.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 8:50am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada
    The thing is Kimbo is'nt exactly good for the sport of MMA.

MMA has enough stigma attached to it already and many people have been working hard to distance the sport from any association with street brawling.
    That's an asinine statement. MMA will always be stigmatized with our without Kimbo, and that in no way, shape or manner should condone disaproving of Kimbo (or anyone for that matter) who wants to participate and compete.

A man should not be judge for how he has conducted himself in the past. And to be honest, what exactly has Kimbo done that is so wrong and stigmatizing?

Let's understand exactly what street brawling is - it is looking for fights, starting fights, attacking people, assaulting people, initiating disorderly conduct, harassing people and getting them into a physical confrontation against their will.

Kimbo has not done that. He has organized bare-knuckle fights where two men have agreed to participate. They come, they agree to the rules and location, they bang, a winner is announced and they go home. This is far better and acceptable than the famous dojo stormings of Gracie fame.

That some people may disagree with that? **** that ****. People disagree with MMA. ****, there is people who disagree with boxing, or even children playing fucking tag!!!

So, **** that ****. I'd say entering into MMA is the best thing Kimbo could to do formalize - not legitimize - himself as a fighter. I'd also say that Kimbo formally entering MMA is a good thing for MMA. It brings an image, appeals to a greater audience, and so far, his demeanour as a MMA fighter, however novice he may be, has been exemplar.

(For this reason I dont think Dana will ever sign Kimbo to the UFC.)
    Dana will sign Baal and Beelzebub to gangbang his grandma if it is in the UFC's interests. Bizness is bizness. He won't sign him today, but there is no telling what would happen 3, 4 years from now.

Besides knocking out a bunch of nobodys and out of shape ageing fighters is not a big deal and should'nt be treated as such.IMO
    The fact that he was willing to bang is to be respected. And the fact that those nobodies as you call them stepped up and took their beatings, that deservers far more respect and has a lot more to do with what martial arts are about that what many keyboard warriors out there think.

One should only get to call someone a nobody if he is a somebody. But that's not the way of the interweebz, so, here we are.

It is a big deal because it happened, in a controlled environment (rather than in a brawl), upon mutually agreed rules (rather than assaulting people), for the sake of competing or simply for the sake of banging. In this time and age of wimps, it is a big deal.

And now Kimbo is stepping onto MMA under formal training. Fucking great for him.

Kimbo has'nt fought a quality opponent yet and until he does we dont really know how good he is.
    The more reason to applaud his willingness to train MMA and compete in MMA.

I would like to see him up aginst one of these guys:
    Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Fedor Emelianenko, Randy Couture, Tim Sylvia , Josh Barnett, Andrei Arlovski, Frank Mir, Fabricio Werdum, Gabriel Gonzaga, Mirko Filipovic,Heath Herring
    Name dropping FTW!!!!!

No. I'd actually would like to see him fight one of the many heavyweight MMAers that may not be on the top, but who are still legitimate treats to him. That would be a more reasonable spectacle, and a more reasonable progression for him.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 4/03/2008 8:53am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

blotter art.

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 9:03am

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Except that Liddel's takedown defence consists of good hips and a supernatural sprawl, whereas Cung's consists of a greasy wad of bill thrust into the hands of his opponents.
    Yeah, except no.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 9:03am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you guys are reading a lot more into Chuck's statements than are actually there. From my reading of it his primary issue was not with Kimbo, he didn't say Kimbo was a jerk, or a bad fighter or anything. He said that Kimbo was being promoted beyond his current accomplishments. Which I think we all agree is true. His org is going apeshit billing him as some unstoppable killing machine. Kimbo himself is very humble and understands that he's new to the MMA game and has a lot to learn, but the promoters of EliteXC are nothing of the sort. According them he's the baddest MOFO on the block. My reading of Chuck's interview indicates that he has more of a problem with the promoters than with Kimbo personally.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 10:59am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA will always be stigmatized with our without Kimbo, and that in no way, shape or manner should condone disaproving of Kimbo (or anyone for that matter) who wants to participate and compete.
    I don't believe it always will be stigmatized. Either way, the fact that the uninformed stigmatize it for WRONG reasons doesn't mean we should just say, screw it! Let's let whatever POS thug that wants to jump in the cage do it!

Also, real keen on letting that POS nazi Costa compete, are ya, Macho? Because that's what you just said.

A man should not be judge for how he has conducted himself in the past.
    Really? What the hell else are you gonna judge someone on? What they _say_ they're going to do in the future? lol If he's "changed" he's gonna have to show it before I believe it.

what exactly has Kimbo done that is so wrong and stigmatizing?
    He's a criminal who has been in and out of jail and prison his whole life. He's admitted some of his incarceration was for violence and he's most likely also stolen from people and done who knows what else.

Look, here's the simple truth of the matter. Kimbo sux as a fighter and is a criminal who has acted like a POS for most of his life thus far. Frankly, I don't know why any educated fight fan would want him in the sport.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 11:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kimbo may or may not suck but until he fights decent competition we'll never know.

Elite is in a tough position, on one hand there's a buzz around Kimbo on the other he's vastly in experienced.

They need him but how do you build a franchise around someone you're not sure can beat a decent B level fighter.

I respect Kimbo's work ethic but he's in a tough position I don't think he can live up to.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast