218358 Bullies, 5707 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 28
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Happy Panda is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    398

    Posted On:
    4/02/2008 10:42pm


     Style: Panda Punch

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am, though I'm currently going to school in Asheville. Let me know if you do end up doing this, I and probably some of the other fighters may be interested in making the trip (assuming it's an amateur event).

    Also, I didn't mean any offense by the comment about promoters. I had my first run-in with one a month ago and wasn't too impressed, but I'm sure you'll do a lot better than him.
  2. Khun Kao is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    638

    Posted On:
    4/03/2008 9:16am


     Style: MuayThai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkonis
    Khum Kao, if I didnt know any better, I,d say you just layed out a micro-business plan for me. Im highly impressed and could not thank you enough. Some of the items you mentioned i,e... accomodations, security, medical staff and so forth had presented itself in some of my early research discoveries.

    All costly, agreed, That of course is one of the reasons I have looked into the Military bases.
    I have seen civilian held events on base before and the bottom line is they provided much of what is needed with the exception of accomodations.

    Have you looked into this yourself ?

    Sharkonis

    You're welcome. You can "thank" me by following my advice regarding what kind of promoter you become.

    One thing I will add to my advice.... Most fighters/coaches/teams are (and *should* be!) distrustful of promoters. There has been a *lot* of shadiness in our sport, and savvy participants will be on guard when dealing with you. This is why I *insist* on being as open & honest as I possibly can.

    However, I demand the same in return from the participants. Do yourself a *huge* favor and DEMAND FULL DISCLOSURE of the participants fight experience, including:

    1. # of years training experience

    2. belt rank (mainly for MMA participants BJJ/Judo background, doesn't really apply to sports like Muay Thai)

    3. TOTAL ring experience, including Boxing, all styles of Kickboxing, and MMA. Be sure they understand that this includes both sanctioned and non-sanctioned matches, such as "smokers".

    These items are of utmost importance if you're going to provide fair matches. There are a number of fighters and/or teams out there that try and "hide" their fighters full fight experience in order to get favorable matchups. You need to require the above information from all participants and that you share this with the other camp.

    To answer your question, I have no experience with promoting on military bases. I really don't have any military connections, so I would not even know where to begin.
  3. Sharkonis is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    398

    Posted On:
    4/03/2008 2:42pm


     Style: Tae Kwon Do, MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Panda
    I am, though I'm currently going to school in Asheville. Let me know if you do end up doing this, I and probably some of the other fighters may be interested in making the trip (assuming it's an amateur event).

    Also, I didn't mean any offense by the comment about promoters. I had my first run-in with one a month ago and wasn't too impressed, but I'm sure you'll do a lot better than him.
    Thats what Im talking about brother, you have the right idea. I know a few there myself as well as here in Wil.

    Ill keep you posted as things progress.


    Peace, Sharkonis
  4. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,923

    Posted On:
    4/03/2008 2:46pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkonis
    Thats what Im talking about brother, you have the right idea. I know a few there myself as well as here in Wil.

    Ill keep you posted as things progress.


    Peace, Sharkonis
    Check your personal messages.
  5. Devil is offline
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,363

    Posted On:
    4/03/2008 4:03pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm from NC, as well. Keep in mind that you're going to have competition that's already entrenched in the area. I'm not saying that to discourage you. Just be aware. I don't know who you've talked to, or who you know. You described the competition as small timers. That may be the case to an extent.

    MMA is legal now in NC largely because of local fighters/promoters that have pushed for it. They've got connections and some money. They've also got experience putting on shows in other states. I've heard they're planning about six shows in NC over the next year. Maybe there's room for more dogs on the porch. They're in the Raleigh area. But, my guess is that they've got the jump on you, and they can expand out easier than you can.

    Another thing is that the MMA scene around here is pretty cliquish. They're nice guys, but everybody knows everybody. That'll work in your favor if everybody knows you already and you're not a dick. It will work against you if you haven't really accomplished much or if you're perceived as somebody that doesn't have much to offer. Just don't be surprised if all the local instructors don't get all excited about your business.

    Again, I'm not trying to discourage you. Just wanted to offer my two cents as a guy who has had to shitcan business plans over things I didn't know until after I had done a load of work. Good luck.
  6. Sharkonis is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    398

    Posted On:
    4/03/2008 4:06pm


     Style: Tae Kwon Do, MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To all those who have posted on this thread and readers, I would like to share my appreciation for all of your great input on what I feel will be something Great for all involved.

    I must give a special thanks to Omega and Khum Kao whom gave me more insight in 2 days than Ive been able to achive for myself in 8 weeks, many Thanks.

    I think I have what I need to start rolling but please feel free to continue to post, it is always appreciated.

    So now that Ive posted what sounds like a Freakin Acceptance Speach for Oscars, Ive got some reading to do.


    Peace Sharkonis
  7. Sharkonis is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    398

    Posted On:
    4/03/2008 4:15pm


     Style: Tae Kwon Do, MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    I'm from NC, as well. Keep in mind that you're going to have competition that's already entrenched in the area. I'm not saying that to discourage you. Just be aware. I don't know who you've talked to, or who you know. You described the competition as small timers. That may be the case to an extent.

    MMA is legal now in NC largely because of local fighters/promoters that have pushed for it. They've got connections and some money. They've also got experience putting on shows in other states. I've heard they're planning about six shows in NC over the next year. Maybe there's room for more dogs on the porch. They're in the Raleigh area. But, my guess is that they've got the jump on you, and they can expand out easier than you can.

    Another thing is that the MMA scene around here is pretty cliquish. They're nice guys, but everybody knows everybody. That'll work in your favor if everybody knows you already and you're not a dick. It will work against you if you haven't really accomplished much or if you're perceived as somebody that doesn't have much to offer. Just don't be surprised if all the local instructors don't get all excited about your business.

    Again, I'm not trying to discourage you. Just wanted to offer my two cents as a guy who has had to shitcan business plans over things I didn't know until after I had done a load of work. Good luck.
    Compition is what Pollen is to Flowers, without each othe neither can trully florish. Compition drives the soul and Is part of our Inner Core.

    I dont I plan on re-inventing the Wheel, Just adding a new spoke making what is already strong even stronger.

    What Im trying to say in English is what I have in mind involves those already organized. How is Plan.

    Im going to start a new thread in a few weeks to keep everyone a float as to whats unfolded. Thanks for your input and please feel free to PM any other usefull info you might want to share.

    You sound sincer and that is alwaya good in my book

    Peace Sharkonis.
    Last edited by Sharkonis; 4/03/2008 4:23pm at .
  8. beachfront71 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    78

    Posted On:
    4/03/2008 7:31pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do not want to step on any toes but from a pure business standpoint would it not make more sense to get your feet wet and work for a promoter before deciding to mortgage your house on an, at best, 50/50 chance for success.

    If you want to be a plumber, you do not go to home depot and buy a bunch of copper pipe and put a ad in the paper... most likely you go and work for a plumbing company, learn the rules and regulations, establish some contacts, and eventually break out on to your own with a handful of solid relationships...

    I am not sure what your financial situation is, your experience, nor your age but I would look at this in the same manner of if you wanted to open a restaurant ... your chances of success will somewhat be based upon the contacts and experience you have in the business, as well as the reputation you have/have created... Everyone has heard that 9/10 restaurants fail in the first year of business and I can tell you that that will apply to just about any type of entity you are looking to start up.

    Taking into consideration Kuhn Koa's posts and applying those interests with an established employer, then evaluating your options down the road seems like it would be worth more in experience than any money you might might make or lose as you learn the ropes...The bonus would be you would have some type of postive income flow as an emplyee...

    Dont take this in a negative way but rather another point of view...
    Last edited by beachfront71; 4/03/2008 7:35pm at .
  9. Sharkonis is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    398

    Posted On:
    4/03/2008 8:51pm


     Style: Tae Kwon Do, MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by beachfront71
    I do not want to step on any toes but from a pure business standpoint would it not make more sense to get your feet wet and work for a promoter before deciding to mortgage your house on an, at best, 50/50 chance for success.

    If you want to be a plumber, you do not go to home depot and buy a bunch of copper pipe and put a ad in the paper... most likely you go and work for a plumbing company, learn the rules and regulations, establish some contacts, and eventually break out on to your own with a handful of solid relationships...

    I am not sure what your financial situation is, your experience, nor your age but I would look at this in the same manner of if you wanted to open a restaurant ... your chances of success will somewhat be based upon the contacts and experience you have in the business, as well as the reputation you have/have created... Everyone has heard that 9/10 restaurants fail in the first year of business and I can tell you that that will apply to just about any type of entity you are looking to start up.

    Taking into consideration Kuhn Koa's posts and applying those interests with an established employer, then evaluating your options down the road seems like it would be worth more in experience than any money you might might make or lose as you learn the ropes...The bonus would be you would have some type of postive income flow as an emplyee...

    Dont take this in a negative way but rather another point of view...
    Hey and thanks for your response. You know I could not agree with you more in regards to starting as an employee. Good way to get wet and seasoned.

    I was kinda riding on my background in business. In the past I have taken small business ops and start ups and turned them into National Franchises. In 1996 I grew tired of watching every one else banking off my work, read a book, started a Contracting business, with $20.00 bucks, no ****.

    And of course I realize that this is much more complex and might take more than $20.00 lol.

    Fortunatly though, money should not be to big of an issue, I run In a variety of cirlces of relationships I have built over the years. They just wanna see my crazy plan first.

    Again, thank you for taking the time to post. Peace Sharkonis
    Last edited by Sharkonis; 4/03/2008 8:55pm at .
  10. Devil is offline
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,363

    Posted On:
    4/04/2008 7:42am

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkonis
    Compition is what Pollen is to Flowers, without each othe neither can trully florish. Compition drives the soul and Is part of our Inner Core.

    I dont I plan on re-inventing the Wheel, Just adding a new spoke making what is already strong even stronger.

    What Im trying to say in English is what I have in mind involves those already organized. How is Plan.

    Im going to start a new thread in a few weeks to keep everyone a float as to whats unfolded. Thanks for your input and please feel free to PM any other usefull info you might want to share.

    You sound sincer and that is alwaya good in my book

    Peace Sharkonis.

    That's cool, man. I really hope it works out for you. More MMA in the area is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

    I was thinking last night and realized I may not have gotten my point across in my post. I guess the biggest concern I would have is this: where do you plan to pull your fighters from? Do you expect most of your fighters to come from out of state, or are you going to depend mostly on local fighters? The vast majority of good fighters in the area are trained by your primary competitor and their affiliates. They train the fighters, and they organize the events the fighters compete in.

    Are you looking to organize pro fights, amateur fights, or both? Pro fights would be great, because money talks. But the local amateurs already have a way to get in the ring or cage and compete in a show organized by people they trust. I just think it's important to have a good picture of who will be fighting in your shows.

    You said your plan involves those already organized. I think that's a good idea. Their cooperation will make pulling in the fighters much easier. But in an earlier post you said the other promoters in the area weren't talking to you. Or maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. But if they're not talking now, why are they going to talk to you later?

    The bottom line is that I don't know what motivates your competition. They may not even really BE competition. They're the guys that got MMA legalized. Maybe to them it's just all about developing the sport. Maybe they'll be all for more shows in the area and do everything in their power to help you.

    Or maybe it's all about making a profit after they've spent the time and money getting the legislation passed, and they'll fight you tooth and nail the whole way. That will make your life much more difficult, because they've got a death grip on the local talent. Without their support, you'll have a hard time filling cards for multiple shows with decent fighters without relying heavily on out of state fighters.

    It sounds like you've done a lot of work on your plan already. There's a good chance you know all this already and have it all sorted out. Just a little more food for thought.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.