Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 12:27pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thinking of Becoming a Fight Promoter

I have been pondering some changes in my lifestyle in regards to how I earn my income.

The idea of becoming a Promoter/ Event Organizer sounds appealling. Heres the catch, while I have an Extensive backgroung in Marketing and Sales I have no background in Being a Fight Promoter.

So I turn to Bullshidos combind knowledge to give me some input, Spare nothing, Fire at Will.

Sharkonis

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 12:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Learn to speak promoter in 3 easy lessons.

Promoter speak "Yeah, the kid did a little boxing or something"
    Translation: Golden gloves champ

Promoter speak "I think he wrestled in high school"
    Translation: Former Div I champ in college/olympic alternate

Promoter speak "He's got some decent jits"
    Translation: Trains at ChuteBoxe
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 12:44pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe you should start by talking to your state's athletic commission. The AC would give you all the licensing info you need. As far as practical stuff, KhunKao and Omega know a thing or two about fight promotion. Are there any promoters already in your area? You should be able to get their info from the AC as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 1:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Naszir
    Maybe you should start by talking to your state's athletic commission. The AC would give you all the licensing info you need. As far as practical stuff, KhunKao and Omega know a thing or two about fight promotion. Are there any promoters already in your area? You should be able to get their info from the AC as well.

All are great suggestions, many thanks. I've also been looking at the military bases, I have a few connectons with the base service support group and there putting together a package for me. In regards to other promoters, there a few local small timers, but there not talking. There afraid to lose something.

I however see alot of potential for breaking into a business thats still on the ground but is destined to take off in ways the public has never conceived.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 2:44pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As someone pointed out, I promote combat sports events.

My advice:

You have to fully understand what you're getting into. There's a lot involved and you want to be sure you are doing things right, and before you read any further, you should first make sure you are INTIMATELY familiar with the sport/s you are promoting! I promote Muay Thai & MMA matches. I have been involved in the sport of Muay Thai for 16 years. I have been a student, fighter, coach, fight official (judging & refereeing), author, and now a promoter. I am intimately familiar with almost every single facet of the sport. While I do not have the same level of expertise in MMA fighting, I've been around the sport and participated in it enough to have the familiarity needed as a promoter.

What these sports do NOT need is another "Johnny Come Lately" who just sees the recent popularity of MMA & related combat sports and has dollar signs in his eyes.

So, if you're still reading, here is a very short list of things for you to keep in mind:

1. Find out everything you can about what the local laws are in regards to combat sports events. For instance, do you need a promoters license? What requirements does your state have in regards to medical staff on hand? How do you handle injuries and/or blood in the ring? What are the expectations in regards to insurance? Does your event need to be sanctioned? Are there certain types of techniques that are not allowed in your state?

2. Some of the expenses you need to bear in mind: The arena or venue. The ring. Tables & chairs. Advertising. Staffing (they can't all be volunteers). All manner of ancillary (sp?) items. Santioning costs. Insurance. Ring doctor and medical staff. Officiating crew. Trophies. Hotel & travel expenses for out-of-towners.

*some of the costs may be combined with your sanctioning fee, depending on what organization you do (or do not) go with. Some sanctioning bodies offer many of the above as part of their services, but you have to KNOW! Don't assume!

3. The most important piece of advice I can give you is that, no matter what, your event should be about the fighters and the sport. What I'm saying is that even though you are trying to make money off of the event, you can't only be looking out for your bottom line. Take good care of your participants. Be open and honest with the fighters and coaches. Be as fair in your matchmaking as you possibly can. While a mismatch can often be entertaining for the crowd (they get to see a knockout, or at least an ass-whupping!), in many cases it leaves feelings of resentment amongst the fighters involved, and they *will* talk! Don't be *that* promoter! (For an example of what I mean when I say: "that promoter", see Emevas' post above. That kind of thing is FAR TOO COMMON in our sports)

3a. My personal suggestion is to look at what the local standards that you are required to adhere to are, then raise that bar. My approach to the way I promote is that I want to be sure that when I wake up the next morning, I can look myself in the mirror and know that I did the right thing by everyone.

So, if you're still with me, then I wish you good luck! We need good, honest promoters who aren't out there merely looking to line their own pockets. We need people who are going to do the right things to properly groom the local talent and improve the sport.
    Last edited by Khun Kao; 4/02/2008 2:58pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 3:30pm

Style: Panda Punch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't be a conniving, two-faced bastard and you'll be better than some of the other promoters in and around NC.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 5:11pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get a couple hundred grand and a $50,000+ dollar line of credit just to start.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 9:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Khum Kao, if I didnt know any better, I,d say you just layed out a micro-business plan for me. Im highly impressed and could not thank you enough. Some of the items you mentioned i,e... accomodations, security, medical staff and so forth had presented itself in some of my early research discoveries.

All costly, agreed, That of course is one of the reasons I have looked into the Military bases.
    I have seen civilian held events on base before and the bottom line is they provided much of what is needed with the exception of accomodations.

Have you looked into this yourself ?

Sharkonis

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 9:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Get a couple hundred grand and a $50,000+ dollar line of credit just to start.
    That would be a sweet cushion but I belive it can be done with less. I dont plan on doing alot of outsourcing, only for services that would be beyond my capabilities..i..e.. the broadcasting capabilities or rather lack of.

If it has to be built, Im a contractor, my crew will build it. If it needs Selling, then Ill sell it.
    If I need security. My crew is already bonded and ready to go. Now I understand this is not all it takes and is only a small fraction of what needs to be considered but I trully belive that having the ability to not outsource for those services alone saves a fortune.

Peace, Sharkonis
    Last edited by Sharkonis; 4/02/2008 9:57pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 10:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Panda
    Don't be a conniving, two-faced bastard and you'll be better than some of the other promoters in and around NC.
    Happy Panda, how are you. Funny you post on this thread. I was thinking about Jacksonville or to be more exact Camp Lejuene or MCAS New River for an event. Are you not from there ?

Sharkonis
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast