Posted On:
    4/09/2008 7:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Liddell trashes Fedor

From the Sun.co.uk:

CHUCK LIDDELL has savaged Fedor Emelianenko following the news the Russian superstar has become a free agent.

Widely regarded as the finest mixed martial artist in the world, Emelianenko parted ways with Russian promotion M1-Global earlier this month.

The news has been greeted with excitement by mixed martial arts fans around the world, with thousands of them desperate to see him fight UFC legend Randy Couture in a dream match up.

And Liddell claims he would love to see the fight happen so that the hype surrounding Fedor can finally be dispelled.

‘The Iceman’ said: “I’d like to see Fedor fight Randy because I don’t think he can beat Randy.

“He’s good on top – a good ground and pound guy but I think he’d have a real hard time getting on top of a guy like Randy.

“He’s not going to be able to throw him because Randy’s a Greco-Roman wrestler and his shot’s pretty poor so he’d have to submit him from the bottom.

Liddell claims the Russian’s failure to face any big name fighters in the last two years is proof heavyweight grappler Emelianenko is overrated.

Liddell added: ““I truly believe he’s overrated. I’ve heard he picks and chooses some of his fights.

“You’ve got to wonder why he chose to fight a guy like Matt Lindland – who weighs 185lbs!

“I heard he was negotiating with some other people who were heavyweights who would have been more of a challenge to him and he turned those down.

“He doesn’t have a great shot, he doesn’t have one punch power and to my knowledge he’s never knocked anyone out from his feet standing up.

“So I think anybody that can stop a takedown is going to be a good fight for him if they can strike.”
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...icle944485.ece

More Dana White propaganda or does the Iceman raise valid points? Discuss.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 7:59am

Style: GJJ beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He does make some valid points--Fedor doesn't have great wrestling and hasn't knocked a lot of guys out standing--but I think Liddell is missing at least one of Fedor's key strengths: IIRC he gets a lot of his takedowns in the transitions from striking to grappling. When Randy beat Chuck, he softened him up with boxing and clinch work and then proceeded to take him down. Fedor has had a lot of success unbalancing and distracting fighters in close range boxing and then smoothly switching to takedowns. These two facts (if I'm both remembering and interpreting them correctly) suggest a definate approach for Fedor if he fights Liddell. Coutures greatest strength is controlling the clinch, and from there deciding where he wants the fight to go, and his choices aren't good: Fedor clearly outstrikes Couture, he is dangerous on his back (though this is probably Couture's best bet, but it's not great as his GnP is not very powerful however more consistent), and Fedor, again due to his transitions, is very dangerous in the clinch.
    Yeah, that's right: I understand fighting better than Chuck Liddell.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 8:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree it is time for Fedor to get back to fighting top competition. He's forcing people to speculate about him and question him.

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 8:33am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me it seems like he is following the path of Rickson Gracie....

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 12:03pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fedor is pretty slick at escaping from the bottom. His cardio is good. His armlocks are all top notch. His takedowns certainly aren't bad. He beat Nogueira pretty decisively. His record against competition is good, but could be better. I don't know that he would dominate Couture, but I'd think it would be a pretty fair fight.

I don't think Liddell would do very well against him. I don't think he has the size or power to **** his day up. Not sure if he should be talking ****. Except for the Fujita fight, Fedor has never really been rocked badly, and he recovered quickly from that. He took a full on cro cop kick to the dome and it didn't even shake him.

Perhaps the Sylvia fight will show us something.
    Last edited by Cassius; 4/09/2008 12:06pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 2:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Tim's arm raised in victory!

Anyway...

Fedor has had a lot of success unbalancing and distracting fighters in close range boxing and then smoothly switching to takedowns.
    Yes, and Couture is better at that.

Also, when's the last time Couture got armbarred? Inoue? Yep, I checked, Inoue. TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 3:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard Fedor went all the way with the whole football team!

God damn, Liddell is worse with the rumors than a teenage girl.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 3:43pm

Style: Crappling (BJJ Hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would like to see Fedor in the UFC, but it would make me sad if he got his little Russian ass handed to him. I think he would be a great matchup for RANDYTEHNATURAL1!!(Not a big Randy fan here) I honestly think Fedor would come out on top via submission.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 6:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    Fedor is pretty slick at escaping from the bottom. His cardio is good. His armlocks are all top notch. His takedowns certainly aren't bad. He beat Nogueira pretty decisively. His record against competition is good, but could be better. I don't know that he would dominate Couture, but I'd think it would be a pretty fair fight.

I don't think Liddell would do very well against him. I don't think he has the size or power to **** his day up. Not sure if he should be talking ****. Except for the Fujita fight, Fedor has never really been rocked badly, and he recovered quickly from that. He took a full on cro cop kick to the dome and it didn't even shake him.
    Yeah, I understand the whole "Fedor hasn't been challenged lately" argument, but the anti-Fedor backlash as of late is a bit annoying. He's a phenomenally well-rounded fighter with one of the best resumes in the business, last year or two notwithstanding. Also one time I had a dream his car broke down in front of my house and he came inside to use my phone and he was very nice and polite about it.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 10:01pm

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't call it "trashing" Fedor, he makes points, and never says fedor isnt good, just over rated.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast