Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Don't mess with the Mega-Buster

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 2:40am

supporting member
     Style: A+B, D-Pad

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The chinese MA community was ravaged by two things the damn Japanese and the god damn communists. Who ever said the only place to find good CMA is Taiwan is right, all the nationalists set up shop there with Shang Kai Shek. I don't know how the CMA got so soft, and I don't mean soft as in soft power (as in the internal styles) i mean weak. I feel like alot of schools have lost the Shuai (throwing) aspect of the art and not just that but the no quarter skills (clinch) to excute said throws, which IMHO is what directly precipitates victory (or at least is sound strategy) with out the in fighting and the free style practice to develop it, how is one supposed to learn fighting? In the old days Tai Chi people beat the piss out of one another constantly during training, how else would they learn to fight? Nowadays its all geriatrics swaying drunkely in the park. WTF! I think the san shou people, and all full contact fighters, MMA, NHB shidokan and the like have the right idea, we need a re-attachment to the reality of the thing, reinvent the MA so one day we can rediscover the old ways and fully understand how to apply them.
    Secret moves such as hitting a thing with your hand and hitting a thing with your leg have been stolen and degenerated by arts like karate, boxing, muay-thai, Kung-fu, and basketball. -Epicurious

I for one welcome our new Ninja overlords.
    -Whiteshark

I figure fighting a group of chunners would be like water torture, its not the force as such, just the constant trickle of chain punches wearing down your sanity. -The Juggernoob

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 8:00am

Style: fumoffu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by JBliss
    The chinese MA community was ravaged by two things the damn Japanese and the god damn communists. Who ever said the only place to find good CMA is Taiwan is right, all the nationalists set up shop there with Shang Kai Shek. I don't know how the CMA got so soft, and I don't mean soft as in soft power (as in the internal styles) i mean weak. I feel like alot of schools have lost the Shuai (throwing) aspect of the art and not just that but the no quarter skills (clinch) to excute said throws, which IMHO is what directly precipitates victory (or at least is sound strategy) with out the in fighting and the free style practice to develop it, how is one supposed to learn fighting? In the old days Tai Chi people beat the piss out of one another constantly during training, how else would they learn to fight? Nowadays its all geriatrics swaying drunkely in the park. WTF! I think the san shou people, and all full contact fighters, MMA, NHB shidokan and the like have the right idea, we need a re-attachment to the reality of the thing, reinvent the MA so one day we can rediscover the old ways and fully understand how to apply them.
    Agree wif u~~~~;)
    If a TCMA school were to practice a lot of techniques application how would u rate it?
    "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
    - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 8:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could somebody please tell me what the REAL KUNG FU actually is then?
    I would really like to see the REAL ****!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 10:09am

supporting member
     Style: Shnizzletodawizzle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Real Kung Fu involves extreme "iron" conditioning of the body and especially of the hands.

No one in modern society is willing to literally destroy their hands and fingers to achieve this goal. In the past people would literally drive their hands into buckets of rocks etc.

So basically "modern" Kung Fu does not work since the finger / hand strikes will not work with "normal" hands and no one is willing to undertake such drastic training methods.

Two other factors destroyed kung fu in China. One was the introduction of guns by the European colonial powers, culminating in the collapse of the boxer rebellion. The other was the Cultural Revolution carried out by the Communists. If the true traditional styles still exist they are likely kept very secret. All we have now is fragments.

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 10:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The boxer rebellion didn't help either.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 10:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It kind of makes me wonder if “real kung fu” is basically what survived on the island of Okinawa since it was somewhat isolated from those events?

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 10:29am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come on! The Boxer Uprising was NOT some kind of martial artist revolution. The Yihequan were a magick-practicing cult. The basis of the movement's ebing unarmed was their practice of rituals that supposedly made them impervious to harm from "Western" weapons. They were simply an anti-modern movement. Next someone's going to claim they were out to overthrow their own government.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 10:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Greg
    Real Kung Fu involves extreme "iron" conditioning of the body and especially of the hands.

No one in modern society is willing to literally destroy their hands and fingers to achieve this goal. In the past people would literally drive their hands into buckets of rocks etc.
    What are you talking about? The whole point behind the medicine is to stop from mutilating your hands.

So basically "modern" Kung Fu does not work since the finger / hand strikes will not work with "normal" hands and no one is willing to undertake such drastic training methods.
    You do not NEED hand training for Kung Fu to work. It is a big plus though, but only in terms of striking power.

Two other factors destroyed kung fu in China. One was the introduction of guns by the European colonial powers, culminating in the collapse of the boxer rebellion. The other was the Cultural Revolution carried out by the Communists. If the true traditional styles still exist they are likely kept very secret. All we have now is fragments.
    Also World War II was probably the biggest hit when it comes to loss of Kung Fu throughout time. Thousands of masters were killed.

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 10:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The BS Mysticism of the boxer rebellion din't HELP the CMA at all, is what I am saying.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 10:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come on! The Boxer Uprising was NOT some kind of martial artist revolution. The Yihequan were a magick-practicing cult. The basis of the movement's ebing unarmed was their practice of rituals that supposedly made them impervious to harm from "Western" weapons. They were simply an anti-modern movement. Next someone's going to claim they were out to overthrow their own government.
    Either way they lost and the colonial era fully introduced modern weapons. Takes a lot less time to learn how to shoot a gun.

What are you talking about? The whole point behind the medicine is to stop from mutilating your hands.
    That depends on the level of training.

You do not NEED hand training for Kung Fu to work. It is a big plus though, but only in terms of striking power.
    So you are saying that single finger strikes will work without conditioning? More than likely you will just break your finger.

I’ve been to open competitions where the kung fu people were a joke trying to poke people they were fighting constantly, with no effect whatsoever, it was hilarious if it was not so sad. Even the TKD people would wipe the floor with them.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast