Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2003 4:37pm

Style: 70's Funk

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah yeah, san shou is great, just that the people who practice it along with their kung fu are few and far between

Hole in one.

Posted On:
    11/17/2003 4:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do all you Supermen even care?

Wushu is definatley a performance art and is not particularly the fighting kung fu. Still, most here don't have the physiacal conditioning some of these guys have.
    Give to Haiti relief. text "haiti' to 90999
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TeacherMonkey?feature=mhee

Posted On:
    11/17/2003 4:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We are not supermen.. we are the X Files.... Ya know the truth is out there and all that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2003 4:55pm

Style: 70's Funk

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i care because i am part ethnic chinese and i know that kung fu at one point in history was a great MA, combat effective and with a lot of depth.
    however chinese MA development today simply sucks compare to some of the newer trendy arts and it is a damn shame. too many people are bastardizing it, that and the lack of focus and selfish nature of a lot of teachers. you want to know what's wrong with kung fu today?
    1. a lot of old chinese teachers keep their edge by not passing the complete , true art down to any "outsiders", often only passing to their sons/family, who are often spoiled rich kids who ended up working as real estate agents
    2. chinese governement's effort with wushu resembles thinking of the ching dynasty, "lets make it really flashy and scare off the westerners, never mind the combat effectiveness"
    3. from what I heard, most younger folks in China/Taiwan/Hong Kong are more interested in Britney spears and MTV, the percentage who want to develop chinese MA and heritages is smaller than small compare to the % of people practicing MA in the west, they consider discipline and MA too old fashion for them and are more than happy to see it rot away into a dance or nothing at all
    4. kung fu teachers in the west are more interested in bashing each other and showing off fake flashy stuff rather than developing the combat part of the art
    I wish this weren't the case but that's how it is, combat effective kung fu instructions is few and far between and I am not interest in learning how to dance. as far as I am concerned it is a damn shame that things are the way they are
    Last edited by akamai; 11/17/2003 7:13pm at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/17/2003 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone needs to create a national consumer advocate type organization for legit chinese arts. That is, for CMA schools that can demonstrate realisitic training and the results thereof. No forms-only or forms-mostly schools allowed.

It seems that right now most CMA schools are interested in their solo forms and the utterly useless concept of lineage. A reputable organization in the know needs to exist to blow the whistle on these defective schools.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/17/2003 4:59pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Repulsive Monkey, dude did you even look at the video he linked??? THAT IS WUSHU!!!11 I don't care who you know that knows that fag in the video that ain't fightin'.

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    11/17/2003 5:28pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by ronin69
    We are refering to the MA not the sport arts, and I don't know of any clips showing the "military" version of San Shou, do you? even the civilian version would be cool to see.
    um, that is the civilian version on that site. click on "san shou".

also, i'm not aware of any clips showing that you are not gay, do you? even a clip suggesting hetero status would be cool to see.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/17/2003 5:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's obvious that the clip discussed is competition wushu, but in most traditional cma schools the focus is, often overwhelmingly, on the questionable practice of solo forms.

While I have nothing against forms, there are many schools that teach forms almost exclusively. This practice does not generally produce skilled martial artists.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/17/2003 5:41pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    White Shark, no, I wasn't able to watch the video for some reason. However, I'm not contesting that it was ridiculous--it may well have been. I'm just saying that, having seen it, that's not the entire side of what these guys train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2003 5:54pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that video was funny, i looked at the other videos of the "point style" fighting and beleave me that is by far NOT kung fu, or at least the kung fu that i practice. Spinning jump kicks/spinning back fists, maybe he was just giving the people a show or something but you try that with someone who really knows KF and youll find out how the floor tasts... Anyway thoese matches are dumb most of the time they are just throwing eachother (with bad form lifting witht thier back instead of thier legs) makes no sense to me..
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast