Thread: Wikipedia

Style
    Karate, Krav Maga, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wikipedia

The Martial Arts articles on wikipedia are in sorry shape. Because everyone on there defends their own pet system, nothing ever gets fixed. With enough of you working on the articles, it would be easy to force change upon these articles. I ask you all to come and help fix them.

Just a few weeks ago, they tried to delete the page on bullshido. But when I try to delete pages on unknown wing chun masters, I get dogpiled.

Please come, and help fix the internet.

Style
    Karate, Krav Maga, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As an example, from the Bruce Lee page:

* Lee's striking speed from three feet with his hands down by his side reached five hundredths of a second.
    * Lee could spring a 235 lb (107 kg) opponent 15 feet (4.6 metres) away with a 1 inch punch.
    * Lee's combat movements were at times too fast to be captured on film at 24fps, so many scenes were shot in 32fps to put Lee in slow motion. Normally martial arts films are sped up.
    * In a speed demonstration, Lee could snatch a dime off a person's open palm before they could close it, and leave a penny behind.
    * Lee could perform push ups using only his thumbs
    * Lee would hold an elevated v-sit position for 30 minutes or longer
    * Lee could throw grains of rice up into the air and then catch them in mid-flight using chopsticks.
    * Lee performed one-hand push-ups using only the thumb and index finger
    * Lee performed 50 reps of one-arm chin-ups.
    * From a standing position, Lee could hold a 125 lb (57 kg) barbell straight out.
    * Lee could break wooden boards 6 inches (15 cm) thick.
    * Lee performed a side kick while training with James Coburn and broke a 150-lb (68 kg) punching bag
    * Lee could cause a 300-lb (136 kg) bag to fly towards and thump the ceiling with a side kick.
    * In a move that has been dubbed "Dragon Flag", Lee could perform leg lifts with only his shoulder blades resting on the edge of a bench and suspend his legs and torso perfectly horizontal midair.
    * Lee could thrust his fingers through unopened steel cans of Coca-Cola, at a time before cans were made of the softer aluminum metal.
    * Lee could use one finger to leave dramatic indentations on pine wood.

Style
    Boxing, Mom-Jitsu
    Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Telum
    The Martial Arts articles on wikipedia are in sorry shape. Because everyone on there defends their own pet system, nothing ever gets fixed. With enough of you working on the articles, it would be easy to force change upon these articles. I ask you all to come and help fix them.

Just a few weeks ago, they tried to delete the page on bullshido. But when I try to delete pages on unknown wing chun masters, I get dogpiled.

Please come, and help fix the internet.
    For those of us who would help if we had a bloody clue what we were doing - can you expand on this? What type of help are you looking for exactly?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, this is why we created Bullshido.org.

If you want to put effort into factual articles on the Martial Arts, do it there. Reality doesn't adhere to democracy or who has the most free time to spend wikilawyering.

Style
    Karate, Krav Maga, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroChick
    For those of us who would help if we had a bloody clue what we were doing - can you expand on this? What type of help are you looking for exactly?
    Cleaning up the various style and practicioner pages. Deleting the ones that are not notable or unsalvageable. Deletion is espically hard because there are both the rabid style defenders and also the people who hate deleting pages in general.

Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Telum
    As an example, from the Bruce Lee page:

* Lee's combat movements were at times too fast to be captured on film at 24fps, so many scenes were shot in 32fps to put Lee in slow motion. Normally martial arts films are sped up.
    Stretching my memory back to my days as a teenage Bruce Lee fan, when he first started doing fight scenes (as Kato in the Green Hornet series) he realized that he had to slow his movements down (or rather, do a more obvious prep.) so that viewers could follow what he was doing. This is one of the basic differences between real MA and movie/TV fight scene performance. He undeniably did have fast hands, but not so fast that they were literally invisible to a camera.

* Lee could perform push ups using only his thumbs
    I've seen pictures (and, IIRC, black and white film footage) to confirm that one - actually, it's not that uncommon a skill. I could do at least a few of those when I was younger.

* Lee performed one-hand push-ups using only the thumb and index
    finger
    Can't recall if I've seen pix for that one, but it's not unbelievable. He had a huge strength to weight ratio.

* In a move that has been dubbed "Dragon Flag", Lee could perform leg lifts with only his shoulder blades resting on the edge of a bench and suspend his legs and torso perfectly horizontal midair.
    I've seen a photograph of him doing something like this, but the detail that may have been forgotten is that he's also holding two handles (fixed onto the surface behind his head) for leverage. It's still an impressive feat of strength and body control, but not as impressive as the wording of that description implies.
    Last edited by DdlR; 4/01/2008 8:45pm at .

Style
    Injured for 1+ years
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you will meet with more success if you choose a specific page to take issue with, then post the original and your edits and ask members to support you with their numbers during the voting process.

Otherwise you're just making a useless general complaint about something we all know. I mean what do you expect to incite a random disorganized bullrush onto wikipedia? Noone's gonna waste their time doing that.

Now insofar as the Bruce Lee page is concerned. At least some of that stuff is most likely true. Doesn't mean **** in terms of martial arts, but it's just impressive physical feats that he accomplished. In fact, that page has actually improved alot recently. It used to be much worse.

I know alot of it is questionable, but Bruce is a special case. The mythology surrounding him is so widespread that it's very easy for nutriders to buttress their wikipedia edits with numerous more legitimate looking 'non-internet' sources. Documentaries, articles and webpages all repeat the same fables about him, likely propagated by a few of the people close to him.

For example, one man's (John Little's) comments on his amazing physical feats have been the basis of so many other nutriding texts and documentaries that it seems there's a whole library of evidencing documenting their validity. But it's just a bunch of hollywood people repeating what one guy said about him.

What i'm trying to say, is that unless you're willing to put in some serious effort, Bruce is a special case. His page is pretty much a lost cause and the only victory we can hope for is organizing the page as it is, so that his physical feats are listed as spectacles rather than proof of martial prowess.

Style
    Karate, Krav Maga, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh noes! I am doomed. I just challenged a wikipedian who is;
    * 1st dan (Blackbelt) in Ju Jitsu
    * 1st dan ( Blackbelt) in Judo
    * 1st dan ( Blackbelt) in Karate
    * 4th dan ( Blackbelt) in freestyle street defense,
    * 3rd dan ( Blackbelt) in Tae kwon do
    * A Muay Thai Kickboxing Instructor
    * A Instructor in Mixed martial art
    * Competed in Mauy Thai and Cage fights and Judo
    * Is a ABA Boxing coach and has fought as a unlicenced boxer
    * Fought as a Bare knuckle Boxer
    * Has fought on the KickBoxing circuit
    * Street weapons coach
    * Is Head coach at the valhalla combat mma Club (http://sfuk.tripod.com/clubs/valhalla_kent.html)

I will probably be beaten so hard, I wont even exist any more!

Style
    Kenpo Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Can't recall if I've seen pix for that one, but it's not unbelievable. He had a huge strength to weight ratio.
    There is a video of him at a seminar performing one handed push ups on this thump and index finger along with a demonstartion of the one inch punch.