--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, what?

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 9:42am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what does panic exactly mean in this situation?

i've never gone like batshit oh **** oh ****... i just end up blanking out and throwing punches.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 11:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vinhthekid
    what does panic exactly mean in this situation?

i've never gone like batshit oh **** oh ****... i just end up blanking out and throwing punches.
    I think the panic stems from her *knowing* what she wants to do yet not being able to pull it off as quickly as she *thinks* she should and before he opponant acts.

This will lead to frustration and, possibly, panic about her inability to act.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 12:09pm

Style: Escrima n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've hit the nail right on the head aardvarks.

Having been unpleasantly attacked numerous times I'm nervous of men aggressively entering my personal space to begin with, so I'm already a bit on edge even before sparring begins. This isn't really the problem here, but doesn't help the issue when I'm not able to defend properly or pull off what I want or know I should be able to do quickly enough either.

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 12:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    think less, hit more?

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 12:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katje

Having been unpleasantly attacked numerous times I'm nervous of men aggressively entering my personal space to begin with, so I'm already a bit on edge even before sparring begins. This isn't really the problem here, but doesn't help the issue when I'm not able to defend properly or pull off what I want or know I should be able to do quickly enough either.
    I think vinhthekid is right. Blank out and start throwing. Stop fucking around and throw. Take a few to the face, and throw. Getting hit and hitting back, exchanging shots will do wonders for your confidence.

May I ask what the format of your sparring is? What kind of gear do you wear, what are the rules, and what are the targets?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 12:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katje

Sometimes "Sparring" turns into spazzfucktardery.

Then let me suggest this to you and if anyone else has additional/better suggestions please let me know:

Try 'reaction' drilling with a partner first at whatever speed YOU feel comfortable. Opponant comes at you with "X" strike (kick/punch/tackle/whathaveyou) you react with what your immediate instinct is at equal your partner's speed....they go half-speed you go half-speed.

Have a higher rank or instructor watching you and your reaction and have them either reinforce your choice or reaction or suggest a better reaction (katje, instead of "X" perhaps you should try "Y") and then restart with the exact same strike and you counter with what your instructor suggested. This will help install 'reactions' to what you see and may begin getting you to think of other alternatives.

Then begin adding second/third/fourth reactions on both your and your partners part, each working off the other.

Then begin speeding it up and playing around with it. You will find some bread-and-butter moves, we all have them....things you just seem to do well for whatever reason. What you want to do is use these drills to work on the things you know *should* work but you cannot make them work, yet.

Soon your reactions and instincts will begin to sync up and your "panic" will disappate because your trust both your instincts and reactions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 1:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you aardvarks, that's an excellent idea. Will try doing that with martial arts friends around here before I join a new school, even if I only build up a little bit of confidence and co-ordination it'll be worth it.

Question: I'm not sure we're on the same page here. When I said unpleasantly attacked I mean on the street, one incident of which was severe enough to land me in hospital. So it's not really a case of fucking around or 'just going into the zone and throwing punches' because in order to do that you have to be fairly comfortable with the situation in the first place. It's always more awkward when there's trauma involved, but it's sadly true. What I was driving at when I started the thread was more how to deal with the overstimulation before the panic point is reached so that confidence can be built up and I can reach that point of comfort, focus and (slightly more) effectiveness again.

Sparring gear is usually fairly minimal - gumguards, boxing and/or sparring gloves and shinpads if we were going to be kicking. We usually sparred medium contact (occasionally fairly hard) but there were no defined rules that I knew of besides the 'no brainers' like trying not injuring each other, not bringing sexual **** into it and basic respect for each other. There might have been a defined ruleset aside from the code of conduct but if there was I didn't hear of it. Not entirely sure what you mean by "targets", can you elaborate?

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 1:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that's the thing though... when you're sparring you should just swing more, think less... what will eventually happen is that you'll build that as an instinct to attack when **** hits the fan, which is a better response than freezing up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 2:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's very true. I really like aardvarks's idea of reaction drilling to build up my comfort zone and reactions at slower speeds and slowly increasing the speed and level of contact. That way I'd be able to build up a solid foundation of moves/techniques so that letting go and letting my instinct take over doesn't just descend into panic and random flailing.

Getting thrown in the deep end with proper sparring when one is really nervous and trying to keep calm and then letting ones instinct take over can lead to panic attacks and other forms of spazzing out that are unpleasant and potentially unsafe for everyone. What you say has a lot of merit, it's just probably not the best option to go for right away when you've come off an 8 month layoff or are a newbie and are unfit and out of condition to start with.
    Last edited by Katje; 4/02/2008 2:06pm at .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast