228167 Bullies, 4674 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 9:16pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How Do Sprawl: Kung Fu version

Rooted means in control of your balance (especially at the hip). Typically people sprawl because they lost control of their ability to stay standing. So they are uprooted and sprawl as a counter. These types prefer to stay standing and not end up in the dirt.

Other types, sprawl on purpose. They sprawl early and often as a primary technique. They maintain their root as a sprawl because thats how they fight. They want to be in dirt.

So a sprawl can be to maintain your root or it can be a counter to losing your root.

As usual you posted a picture of a technique at its conclusion. Was this initiated from standing or from on the knees? Did he pull the guy down and then kick his legs back or did he hip bump a low takedown to kick his legs back as a save? At that point in the pic he is very "rooted" and stable (but so is the other guy). However, he is laying on the ground, so he has lost all mobility and he requires his opponent for a support to keep from falling forward.

Our fellows have gone on about the post-modern idea of rooted meaning "balance". Great and well done. It does nothing to help elaborate on WHY we have a term "rooted" and don't just say balanced to begin with. Rooted is a type of balance .

Rooted as I learned it means stable via the flat of the foot and not requiring stabilization from your opponent. So in one way of looking at rooted he has lost ALL ROOTING because without his opponents structure, the stance he is in would fall over (any sprawl really). The soles of his feet are not touching the floor so again he is not rooted, he is balancing on his groin and the face of his thighs and knees. Most sprawls have the insides of the feet down to the mat and are leaning into the opponent with the hip to drive them down. Even if we ignore that they are not touching the mat with their soles, they are giving up their root to gain a leverage advantage.

Generally, I just refer to root as the point of control with the floor which you use as the fulcrum or anchor. If you have to move that to maintain your stability and control you have lost your root. You may just be switching to a different root or you may be getting tossed.....

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 9:30pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    Rooted means in control of your balance (especially at the hip). Typically people sprawl because they lost control of their ability to stay standing. So they are uprooted and sprawl as a counter. These types prefer to stay standing and not end up in the dirt.

Other types, sprawl on purpose. They sprawl early and often as a primary technique. They maintain their root as a sprawl because thats how they fight. They want to be in dirt.

So a sprawl can be to maintain your root or it can be a counter to losing your root.

As usual you posted a picture of a technique at its conclusion. Was this initiated from standing or from on the knees? Did he pull the guy down and then kick his legs back or did he hip bump a low takedown to kick his legs back as a save? At that point in the pic he is very "rooted" and stable (but so is the other guy). However, he is laying on the ground, so he has lost all mobility and he requires his opponent for a support to keep from falling forward.
    The parts in bold are just plain wrong. The underlined sentence confuses me. "Hip bump a low takedown to kick his legs back"? What?

Just so you know Dr. TT, sprawling isn't an applicable technique when starting on the knees. The sprawl is a move done from the standing position. If done on the knees, it's not really a sprawl anymore.
    Last edited by jnp; 2/23/2008 9:32pm at .

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 9:36pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh dear. This thread was actually mildly interesting but now we're gonna get several hundred posts of people trying to explain to DTT how he has no real idea what he's talking about.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 9:44pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic
    Oh dear. This thread was actually mildly interesting but now we're gonna get several hundred posts of people trying to explain to DTT how he has no real idea what he's talking about.
    No we won't.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 10:16pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rooted means in control of your balance (especially at the hip). Typically people sprawl because they lost control of their ability to stay standing. So they are uprooted and sprawl as a counter.
    Dude. Just, no.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 10:42pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

However, he is laying on the ground, so he has lost all mobility...
    Seriously, are you retarded or something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT8giLQa8mQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIUWH-tuGGk

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 11:00pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy **** that guy has teh real Jits! I am not sure why you posted that though besides to show DTT that he doesn't know ****.

Why hasn't this thread ended with EyeBeams enlightened posts?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 11:04pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    ^^ 3:45 == soooo fucking badass.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 11:16pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmetShamash
    Holy **** that guy has teh real Jits! I am not sure why you posted that though besides to show DTT that he doesn't know ****.

Why hasn't this thread ended with EyeBeams enlightened posts?
    You wouldn't have been able to say "Holy ****......"

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 11:18pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    ^^ 3:45 == soooo fucking badass.
    For me, it's the scramble ending with mount at 2:27 that's the awesomest.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast