Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 9:04pm

Style: Boxing/MMA (Ex. Shotokan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Bowflex

Just out of curiosity, I have heard people say that the bowflex supposedly makes you more ripped then building strength/size (This guy was an idiot though to be honest), I have heard people say it doesn't matter it is just resistance, but still I imagine the force curve (More resistance as you continue the motion) affecting you somehow.

How do you guys think bowflex/crossflex/whatever with rods or those circle things compare to more classic exercises?

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 9:45pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is an opinion not fact! I hated it! I'll stick to free weights. I have never tried the adjustable dumbells they look kind of cool.

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 10:21pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chuck Norris dissapproves of the Bowflex. Buy the Total gym instead.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 11:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The bowflex is a piece of crap. The only use of a bowflex is to find out who suckers are. If you know someone who owns a bowflex, they are in fact a sucker, that will pay absurd amounts of money for a gimmick. Exploit this knowledge for the sake of gambling and borrowing money.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 11:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you find a cheap one at a Garage sale or somethin' then you can pull it apart and make mini-catapults and self-spanking rigs and semi-automatic meat tenderizers an'stuff like that.

about all it's good for...
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/01/2008 12:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: sleeping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i bought and sold one to a fellow sucker after having it for a month back in 2004/5ish (i have a memory span of a gnat). it was cool looking but the most unsturdy piece of crap. and i had it sitting on a concrete floor. at least with free weights even a fucknut knows to at least pick up and put down the weight. the bowflex was the most uncomfortable/confusing thing ever, i couldnt adjust any of the pulleys to a proper angle for me. and i dont care what they say, i kept feeling like something was going to snap and fuckin bitch slap me.

with the bowflex you sit in the middle of this machine thats supposedly does everything... knowing what i know now... but does everything shitty. it's the same as machines in a gym, its for beginners, once you have enough strength not to brain yourself with a weight you move over to the free weights **caveat** generally speaking.

IMO save yourself the $1600 and buy 1-2 possibly 3 years gym membership at a nice gym. or if you're considering a bowflex, possibly 1 year membership with a few months of a personal trainer.

that said, if you're really bent on getting it... go for it, excercise is excercise. speaking as someone who cycles through being a slob and fit, anything that gets you motivated for working out is a good thing.

Posted On:
    4/01/2008 8:19am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    If you find a cheap one at a Garage sale or somethin' then you can pull it apart and make mini-catapults and self-spanking rigs and semi-automatic meat tenderizers an'stuff like that.
    Whoa! Self-spanking rigs?? Think of all the money I would've saved if I had a self-spanking rig!

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/01/2008 9:00am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The very premise that the bowflex is based on is flawed. The resistance is least through the range of motion where your muscles are weakest, and greatest where your muscles are strongest. This means that the resistance changes based on the HEIGHT of the user. I, as a short person, can put every single bit of resistance on the BowFlex and push it out to full extension. My friend who is 6'8" ,and benches more than I do, can't push out half of the resistance because his arms are so long.

It does make one badass ballista though....

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    4/01/2008 10:40am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to work at a sporting goods store, and the manager had a deal that if any of us could sell a bowflex, he would take us out to lunch anywhere we wanted. We all failed.

I was actually in charge of dismantling the store display bowflex back when they all got recalled for having resistance bands that would snap mid workout. That was fun.

My buddies and I boiled it down. For the price you'd pay for a bowflex, you could get a powercage, olympic bench, 600lbs of free weight, as many bars as you wanted, and still have about $300 left over for supplements or other odds and ends.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/01/2008 7:26pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The bowflex is the essense of everything that's wrong with the health industry today. The only redeeming part could be the chest pressing parts, but that's about it.

Everything else forces you to work your muscles in isolation. Now, this is the thing - a person that's very out of shape will get benefits from using this machine... if he/she sticks to it and uses it consistently.

But therein lies the problem. Such a person is at the beginning of his quest for being in shape, and as a result, he will have questions, he will need motivation, he will need some sort of guidance. There is no way that such an intimidating piece of star trek equipment will be of much help for him.

A person at such level of fitness will be better off signing to a local gym and go to the weight aerobic classes, seriously. Or better yet do the free weights, or even the machines, in an environment that is much more stimulating that being at home. Even better, join a crossfit affilate if one is within driving distance, or a bootcamp.

Who could have the motivation and discipline to use this machine? Someone that already has a certain level of fitness and perhaps with better defined goals. But that person is at a point where this thing is nothing but a piece of ****.

That person is at a point where he, more or less, knows precisely what to do, with machines and/or free weights. Such a person, again, is better served by joining a gym, a crossfit affiliate, or better yet, as Emevas pointed out, build his own free weight gym.

Also, there is no logic in the 'convenience factor' of working at home. A person as mentioned in the last paragraph that is in a financial position to buy this crap can also afford to go to a health club/gym or buy his own free weight equipment.

In summary:

1. it is expensive,
    2. it's strictly an isolation machine (yikes, not functional!),
    3. it is too much for someone just starting,
    4. it is nothing for someone with experience,
    5. there are better, cheaper alternatives.

In other words, it sucks more than the Mighty Sarlacc.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 4/01/2008 7:36pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast