Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2003 6:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you saying I'm wrong and not worth responding to, or you don't understand what I'm even trying to say? I don't care if you disagree, but I'm trying my best to be concise and impersonal with my *own* rationale. :(
    Last edited by Nid; 11/19/2003 6:46pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2003 10:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't powerlifters do cleans and other similar lifts though?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2003 10:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well yeah. Cleans are part of the clean and jerk. You'll also notice that some do train for hypertrophy more than others. Kinda depends on the training philosophy. The heavy weight swedes, last I saw, looked like sloppy bastards compared to some other teams who undertook more general strength training in addition to their sport lifts.
    Last edited by Nid; 11/19/2003 10:37pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2003 10:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And aren't powerlifters supposed to have high amounts of explosive or practical strength, which is desirable for MA? I got confused somewhere along the way.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2003 10:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course they are. But refining the "explosive" strength (which hinges on nervous system adaptations) is extremely task specific. Developing strength across any activity does not hinge so much on the nervous system as it does the general ability of the muscle tissue.

"Explosive strength" is not a tissue characteristic, and it hinges mostly on the specific tasks in which you undertake for your sport. Yes it's important, but it's task specific. The explosiveness one hopes to achieve in punching, for example, is not developed through fast push ups. It's through actual punching (for example; and the degree to which it's actually achieved is also debatable).

Practical strength, and I think I know what you mean, is achieved by putting muscle meat on your frame...a few caveats, perhaps, notwithstanding.
    Last edited by Nid; 11/19/2003 10:48pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2003 10:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, keinhaar, I think I get what you're saying now. Deadlifts are more desirable than power cleans because the cleans focus on the nervous system, which builds strength in the movement that is used to recruit the nervous system. Deadlifts create more muscle ability that is applicable to any movement involving the back. Correct?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2003 10:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Deadlifts are a more efficient way to do so, yes.
    Last edited by Nid; 11/20/2003 12:31am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2003 2:12pm

Style: Chu-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Power cleans don't simply "focus on the nervous system". Any strenuous exercise you do has an effect on the nervous system.

Power cleans develope nearly the entire body with one fluid motion. They are explosive but so is fighting / sparring. Power cleans "teach" your body how to move as a whole (there again alot like sparring) . Not just one limb at a time but the whole body moving at once.

Power cleans develop strength and size in many different parts of the entire body. For anybody seeking lower back strength, upper back strength, leg strength, trap strength,....... Or if your simply interested in teaching your body to move as a whole unit, then powercleans are indispensible.

Posted On:
    11/20/2003 2:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take it, power cleans and deadlifts should NOT be done in the same workout, they same to be using the same muscles. I did 320lbs on the deadlift for 10 reps yesterday, god I love that feeling :)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/20/2003 2:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you die, have your hamstrings bronzed. :D
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast