Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 6:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Warriors of God Martial Arts

I did a search and found nothing on Warriors of God Martial Arts in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. If anyone has any info please post it. If you want to look at their website it's
    http://www.godsmartialarts.com/index.html

1. Is this for real?
    2. Anyone in Ottawa ever been?
    3. Too many ????s

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 7:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JJJ/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oooooook ?

Old School DM

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 7:38am

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh god. I'm in Ottawa, so I'm going to look into it a little. I'm clinically allergic to evangelical morons though, so I may break out in hives.

I'll dig a little and then post some more details later. I'm dying to know who is instructing the MMA Charity Training Camp.

Ugh, I need a shower and I only glanced at the website.
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 7:49am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by grapplex
    I did a search and found nothing on Warriors of God Martial Arts in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. If anyone has any info please post it. If you want to look at their website it's

1. Is this for real?
    3. Too many ????s
    I dont mean any offence here, but could you please tell us why you think it is suspect? (other than the god thing, some people are very religous- you know...)
    Eg, point out where on this website gives you a red flag and post the content if you can. What you know about them, etc...

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 8:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by syberia
    I dont mean any offence here, but could you please tell us why you think it is suspect? (other than the god thing, some people are very religous- you know...)
    Eg, point out where on this website gives you a red flag and post the content if you can. What you know about them, etc...
    If you have to ask...

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 8:08am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, we do. This is MABS, and we expect a certain calibre of posting here. We expect you to explain to us what you think the problem is with this group, preferably in an educated manner, rather than just posting a link & saying "Teehee Jesus karate!"

Posting a school in this forum is a near accusation of bullshido on their part, and stating that they deserve an investigation.

So...do they?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 8:09am

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a lot of christian martial arts schools. Mostly in Middle America.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 8:11am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And your point is?

Old School DM

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 8:30am

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to say, it doesn't look like the kind of place you'd go for serious instruction. A few red flags I think.

Warriors of God Martial Arts of Ottawa appears to be run by Sensei Mike Carrier. Based on its address, I’m going to guess that it is run out of his house. Training takes place at Algonquin College. The website has no information that I can find about Mr. Carrier, although simple google-fu turns up some info (more below).

Warriors of God has this to say about itself:
    Warriors of God Martial arts is unique to the Ottawa region. We are the first of its kind. We have a desire to reach men and women of all ages with the message of God's unfailing love realizing that we may be the only church some will ever see. Societies growing concerns towards violence has created a need for self-defense training. Through the practice of Jiu-Jitsu along with developing a relation with God we have captured the true essence of balancing the Mind, Body and Soul.
    Standard for the type – Sounds like Karate for Christ. It is important to note their mission statement, which includes the fact that their goal isn’t to train fighters:
    Warriors of God Martial Arts is a group of men and women of all ages who have one common goal. To spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ through martial arts training. Our focus is not to teach people how to fight but how to discipline the Mind through the studying of scripture, the Body through the practice of martial arts and the Soul through prayer and meditation.
    Warriors of God teaches Jiu-Jitsu, kickboxing, and MMA. No instructors are listed, but there is a picture of “Sensei Mike” in the galleries. No info is offered on the site about Mr. Carrier’s credentials. The descriptions of these three martial arts don’t really inspire me much – the kickboxing and MMA descriptions go out of their way to trumpet the fitness benefits - lose weight etc. No information is available about who teaches these different arts.

I did find some info on Sensei Mike here: http://www.selvforsvar.info/www.selv...e_Carrier.html

It says he is a “3 dan ju-jitsu”[sic] and that his styles are “Ju Jutsu International”, “Combat Ju-Jitsu”, and “Self-Defence”.

Under “Services” on the Warriors of God site it includes a section on the “Streetwise” program which is available to businesses, schools and groups. This is basically a two hour seminar (over lunch so employees don’t lose productivity!) to promote self defense. Ugh.

In their photo gallery there is an interesting set of pictures for a black belt graduation:
    http://www.godsmartialarts.com/html/...d/gallery.html

There is a good picture of the certificates being handed out to “Michel Carrier”:

Anyone know anything about “Jiu-Jitsu International”, the body that seems to be recognizing this certificate? I know nothing about Jiu-Jitsu so I have no idea whether this is legit or not.

The website for Jiu-Jitsu International is here: http://www.jiu-jitsu-international.info/ and oddly enough features a prominent picture of Soke Morris getting punched in the nuts:

It appears to be run by Soke Richard Morris out of London, England.

The only possible redeeming feature appears to be that they hosted a seminar from someone with an actual SHERDOG record, Claude Patrick:
    http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...FighterID=4114

Someone with some grappling or jiu-jitsu knowledge should speak to Sensei Mike and drop by for a class. I'm not competent to make any judgements on his abilities.
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 8:31am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by grapplex

1. Is this for real?
    3. Too many ????s
    Never heard of them before. Other than the fact that excessive religion combined with MA training always raises my hackles, the site seems okay. Their explanation of MMA makes me say "hmmm" - just sounds a little like they're jumping on the bandwagon, but without much to back it up.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast