Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 4:08pm

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slindsay
    I mean seriously guys, this is what, his fourth mma fight?
    Sixth, actually.

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 6:13pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Think of muay thai with the life sucked out of it and you get an idea.
    What a flattering discription :laughing1

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 6:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    My thoughts exactly- this might be a career ending injury as well.
    This implies he had a career to end.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2008 8:22am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KenshinBt10
    6th. Cung is an amazing wrestler and his side kick keeps people at distance so they can't shoot effectively. Try to shoot and catch a knee/roundhouse kick, try to clinch and get thrown. The only good way to get Cung on the ground is to catch a kick and he's engineered his kicks specifically to be less powerful but way harder to catch.
    Oops, I just looked up the two fights I missed and can only see highlights of one of them (The fight with Sam Morgan) but again, I'm not seeing any takedown attempts. I'm not saying that Cung Le should be easy to takedown.

I'm saying that if someone with a rep for being a dangerous striker steps into MMA and goes against opponents who all have most of their wins on the ground (Except Mike Altman who Cung Le has previously beaten in san shou so knows he can't beat Cung Le on the feet) and it only occurs to two of those six people to even attempt one takedown in the match, well then I think somethings a little amiss.

Lets put it another way, Cung Le is Strikeforces biggest draw at the moment, are the promoters (Who in general have such a reputation for honesty and integrity let's not forget) really going to risk having their new rising star taken down and subbed by some nobody BJJ purple belt?

Again, I'm not saying that Cung Le won't be hard to takedown, I'm not saying I could do it, I'm saying that the absence of attempts to take him down is highly suspect.

Oh and the whole "Shamrocks pride won't let him try to take down Cung Le" is in fact so blatant an attempt to excuse the fact that the fight was staged (Not fake necessarily, I'm sure Shamrock did get pretty badly beat on, just staged) that I can't believe no one else is commenting on it.

blotter art.

Posted On:
    4/01/2008 10:08am

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shamrock only really had one chance to get a takedown that he didn't capitalize on; When he had cung against the cage and was trying to get the KO. Other than that, there weren't any visible openings from what I could see, and just blatantly shooting in on Cung isn't gonna do much except get you tired. He hasn't really fought a capable takedown artist yet, and when he does we will all see if he can adapt to MMA as a spraw and brawl type of guy, or if his groundwork is too big of a weakness.

As for if the fight was staged, personally I don't really see shamrock saying to himself "I want to throw this fight by blocking kicks until my arm breaks."

Just seems like there would be an easier way.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/01/2008 10:16am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Oh and the whole "Shamrocks pride won't let him try to take down Cung Le" is in fact so blatant an attempt to excuse the fact that the fight was staged (Not fake necessarily, I'm sure Shamrock did get pretty badly beat on, just staged) that I can't believe no one else is commenting on it.
    Sorry, staged is fake even with the caveat. Accidents happen in staged fights. For the most part debilitating injuries do not. That arm injury can possibly put the rematch off for 6-7 months or up to a year.

Also, he did try a couple of attempts. I think Shamrock thought he was such a badass he could out strike Cung Le. Go watch his science of beating Cung Le video. He didn't take him seriously and got hurt.

Watching the fight video I think his arm was hurt earlier. You are not attempting any subs or take downs with a jacked up arm.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/01/2008 10:21am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I'm intrigued by this new form of kickboxing with 4oz gloves that's going on, not quite sure what the exact rules are but it seems to have something to do with at least one of the competitors being called Cung Le?
    Not new.

I mean seriously guys, this is what, his fourth mma fight? In all those fights, all against people who's only hope of stopping him was on the ground we've seen all of two take down attempts.
    Yes debated extensively. I actually agree with this and is one of my problems with Cung Le.

That's clearly in no way suspect.
    Well I agree his fight selection left much to be desired. I said that on another thread somewhere. I still think those were ducking fights to build up a buzz. Can't fault that because it happens in many sports.

Kickboxing
    Boxing
    MT
    College Football
    College Basketball
    College Baseball.

You pick and choose to inflate your record. If it was a work Frank looks like an idiot. I'd be more inclined if he wasn't a champion to believe your argument.

Maybe I'm hoping Cung is more like Bernard Hopkins.

Posted On:
    4/01/2008 10:23am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's true. Takedowns are so awesome and work all the time and are so imminently available at any and all points in a match that if a fighter doesn't just instantly take down a kickboxer like it was 1993 and Royce Gracie was in the octagon against some Twinkie-filled kempo player the fight is obviously a work.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/01/2008 10:25am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm talking about his early fights. I don't think those were credible fighters any longer.

Frank was so, now people are going to say it was work.

blotter art.

Posted On:
    4/01/2008 10:26am

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too bad I can't give rep on this forum.
    It's true. Takedowns are so awesome and work all the time and are so imminently available at any and all points in a match that if a fighter doesn't just instantly take down a kickboxer like it was 1993 and Royce Gracie was in the octagon against some Twinkie-filled kempo player the fight is obviously a work.
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast