Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 3:38pm

Style: Chinese martial arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    First Post you clearly say "CMA for the Win."

Which is not what the post said. It said it can't be discounted. Huge difference.

Nowhere near claiming "mainly" nor "most" anywhere in his post.

Like I said here we sit arguing semantics.

You said it twice.
    sorry, you're being inaccurate. this isn't about semantics; its about not throwing around baseless claims, and being factually correct in one's statements. i am not denying, in any way, shape, or form, that Cung Le is a well-rounded MMA fighter with a background that includes CMA, as well as BJJ, MT, TKD, and wrestling. what i am saying is that Cung Le's STRENGTHS are in the stand-up fight, and his stand up fighting is primarily from CMA, particularly Sanshou. the post you provided gave some quotes from Cung Le, and it was followed by the poster's conclusion. i have used the same quotes, as well as reading up on Cung Le's bio times before, to come up with a similar conclusion with my own take on it.

i claim CMA for the win, not because Cung Le is a pure CMA fighter, but because that's what is represented the most in his fighting style, and that's where his strengths lie. Le didn't really become an experienced full contact fighter until he studied Sanshou.

from http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/print.php?article=263 :

After winning grand champion in several smaller local tournaments, Le heard about full-contact sparring in Shawn Liu's U.S. Open tournament in Mobile, Alabama. The full contact sparring was called sanshou, which Le had no familiarity with. "I had never heard of sanshou Ń all I knew was that it was full contact. I sent away for the rules, and found out that besides punches and kicks it involved sweeping and throwing - and I said wow, thatŐs for me."

...Fresh from his victory at the U.S. Open, Le went on to win the sanshou and become National Champion in his weight class. He now began to train for sanshou exclusively.

...Le clearly felt at that point that sanshou had given him fighting skills that would translate into other martial arts arenas. To test these skills he entered the NBL USA International World Championships in Las Vegas and won the Continuous Sparring World Champion Title. He was then invited to enter Chicago's Shidokan event, a tri-athlon of martial arts full-contact fighting including aspects of bare knuckle fighting, kickboxing, Thai boxing, boxing and grappling, where he fought and closely lost to Tony Otero in the semi-finals. It was one of Le's toughest fights, but one that proved his skills were equal to or superior to other high-level martial arts competitors.

read the entire article for the full context.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 3:58pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by juszczec
    Speaking of goofy **** in karate (I've done karate for 25 years, so I know goofy ****)

favorite block - kaki waki uke, that's pronounced cocky wocky ookeee. You cannot say cocky wocky ookee without cracking a smile unless you have no soul.

favorite kata - Wankan, are people who train exclusively in Wankan called Wankers?

There used to be no karate gi, people often worked out in their underwear.

So, imagine this scene:

The garden at the Master's house. The students are gathering for the evening workout. The Master appears and says

"Ok. Everybody take your clothes off and start Wankan."

:lol:
    Oh Snap, that was good, many thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 5:59pm

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas
    Lol. Good ole' kake wake uke!!! >.<

But...did you or anyone in your class ever have to do pushups for blocking a partner's nihan nukite Three Stooges style and going "Nyuck nyuck nyuck!!"?
    No. I'm fortunate that i had common sense teachers who didn't advocate using a spear hand like a jab.

Although one of them was a really big 3 Stooges fan. He'd have probably laughed himself into a spasm.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2008 8:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere
    AGAIN CUNG LE DID VIETNAMESE MA (Its been called kung fu to help pple get the idea but thats like calling MT karate) NOT CHINESE!!!!
    Um...no. Cung Le has done SOME training in a variety of martial arts (including high school wrestling), but far and away his main style is San Shou (aka San Da). For simplicities sake, consider San Shou to be a variation of kickboxing that, in addition to allowing full strikes to all areas of the body, awards points for throws, sweeps, and takedowns.

This style is...CHINESE! Technically, one might claim that it is a style of Kung Fu, though i think people who do that tend to be TMA holdouts who want to do anything they can to grant legitimacy to anything related to Kung Fu. I think calling San Shou "Kung Fu" is dramatically stretching the truth.

However, Kung Fu or not, it is still a CHINESE style! It is the backbone of Cung Le's training, and, indeed, the vast majority of his pro fights are in this CHINESE style.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2008 2:41pm

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fight of the year.
    - Shamrock did a little to much showboating for his own good, but its his style.
    - Why the hell did shamrock not shoot on him? Why on earth would he try to stand the whole fight practically with Cung Le?
    - Is anyones stand up in MMA as nasty as Cung Le's?

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/07/2008 2:44pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar42Ox
    - Why the hell did shamrock not shoot on him? Why on earth would he try to stand the whole fight practically with Cung Le?
    - Shamrock did a little to much showboating for his own good, but its his style.
    I think you answered your own question.

Also, Cung has good striking ability and he did prevent the one shoot.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/07/2008 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fight of the year.
    On planet mediocre.

- Is anyones stand up in MMA as nasty as Cung Le's?
    Yes. Ask Rich's plastic surgeon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2008 7:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    On planet mediocre.

Yes. Ask Rich's plastic surgeon.
    Mediocre! Yea maybe not match of the year, but you gotta be kidding me, that was such an exciting fight. As for Rich and his plastic surgeon, elaborate it went over my head

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2008 7:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mediocre! Yea maybe not match of the year, but you gotta be kidding me, that was such an exciting fight. As for Rich and his plastic surgeon, elaborate it went over my head
    I think he was talking about Anderson Silva rearranging Rich Franklins face in their first fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2008 11:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic
    I think he was talking about Anderson Silva rearranging Rich Franklins face in their first fight.
    Thanks for the clarification.

I wish Cung Le would fight Silva someday.