Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 5:45am

Style: BJJ, bad MT, ringworm fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Nick Diaz out of EliteXC/Strikeforce without even testing positive?

I saw this on Sherdog and some other sites. I cut off a little at the end that wasn't about this issue.

From Sherdog.com
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=12018

Diaz Speaks on CSAC
    By Danny Acosta

[3/27/2008] SAN JOSE, Calif., March 27 -- With the showdown between Frank Shamrock and Cung Le two days away, the focus of Thursday's EliteXC/Strikeforce news conference gravitated toward Nick Diaz's removal from Saturday's card.

EliteXC President Gary Shaw expressed an enormous amount of discontent with the situation. He explained that he had spoken to Armando Garcia earlier in the week and said the California State Athletic Commission executive officer mentioned no issues.

"Nick Diaz was the single first fighter that was medically cleared and had every medical in from the EliteXC side. He had all his medicals in," said Shaw, refuting Garcia's claim that the information was not received in time. "He did them roughly up to two and a half weeks ago."

Shaw said Diaz's trouble stems from his use of medical marijuana, which is legal in California and which Shaw believes Garcia is unjustly holding against Diaz. The longtime promoter compared Garcia's actions to issuing a speeding ticket to the driver of a Ferrari after assuming the driver would break the speed limit.

"Armando Garcia overstepped his boundaries, in my humble opinion," Shaw said. "I am a former regulator, and he had no right to pull Nick Diaz off this card. Nick Diaz did not test positive for drugs, was not offered any pre-fight drug test or any other type of screening."

Shaw believes Diaz -- who will not receive his $50,000 purse -- has legal recourse. The promoter has already contacted his own legal team on the matter.

"It's wrong what [Garcia] did to Nick," Shaw said. "It's wrong what he did to mixed martial arts. It's wrong what he did to Scott Coker and myself. It's wrong what he did to the opponent of Nick's, who trained to fight Nick. It's wrong for everybody they advertised that Nick would fight on this card."

As Shaw began closing out the news conference, Diaz arrived along with trainer Cesar Gracie. He made the following statement:

"I want to thank Gary Shaw for having me up here and being so good to me. I want to apologize for not being here fighting today. I was looking forward to fighting Mr. Ice Pick, but you know it doesn't look like it's going to happen this time. I apologize. I was looking forward to a good performance -- training hard, in shape, still on weight. I come to fight. I trained to fight, but unfortunately it's not going down. Hopefully see you next time, and I just want to apologize to everybody for not pulling it off this time and making it in there to fight. Thank you."

Diaz started away from the microphone, but he returned quickly to reiterate points made earlier by Shaw. He said he would have tested clean and that his marijuana is prescribed, legal and treats his ADD/ADHD.

The CSAC was well aware of this ahead of time, according to Diaz and Shaw. Shaw likened the commission's actions to entrapment.

"I just feel like everybody in the state of California who has a legal cannabis club card should be able to have their choice," said Diaz, who will compete on EliteXC's June 14 card. "The way I see it is, [it's] one alternative to Ritalin or anti-depressants or something like that. I'm not going to take carcinogenic chemical drugs."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This seems like total crap. Regardless of whether he smokes marijuana on a regular basis, he claims that he is 100% sure he would test clean for the fight. So CSAC is allowed to guess whether you smoke weed during training, and can bar you from fighting for it?

And 2nd, they claim his medical forms weren't submitted in time, even though EliteXC says Diaz was the first fighter to submit all his information.

I don't even smoke marijuana, but I think this is incredibly unfair and stupid. I like Nick Diaz as a figher, even though he acts like a jerk sometimes, but it seems like he did everything on the up and up this time and got screwed. Fortunately it seems like EliteXC is sticking up for him in this situation.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 10:16am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no hope in dope, kids, no hope in dope.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 10:47am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was really looking forward to Diaz, one of my favourite fighters.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 10:56am

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fully support medical marijuana. I hope Diaz sues the **** out of the CSAC. But this

"and treats his ADD/ADHD"

made me giggle like a schoolboy after his first puff.

:)

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 11:09am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not unheard of to self medicate with the chiba....I can't get a card for it though, I think, in today's world...it's still better to keep that on the DL....all you need is some asshole with an attitude, who's also in a position of power.

Sad, really...he's one of my fav fighters.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 11:16am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Armando Garcia is what's wrong with MMA here in California. Without evidence he shuts down shows, he manipulates the systems and essentially he's an asshole. Either you're in with him or you're screwed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 2:36pm

Style: PTK / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out of curiosity, what exactly is the problem with smoking weed during training? It's not exactly a performance enhancing drug, and if it's legal, what basis do they have to exclude him?

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 2:47pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    they say it increases pain tolerance and decreases reaction time. Also, it's actually grouped under "Drugs of Abuse." It's the governments way of sneaking in a chance to make sure you're not breaking a stupid law.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 2:55pm

Style: CAR-AH-TAY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm no doctor, but how is smoking weed a treatment for ADD? Treating a quasi-disorder =/= smoking ganj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 3:00pm

Style: PTK / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    they say it increases pain tolerance and decreases reaction time.
    Umm.. yeah, but only if you're stoned during the match. Now THAT would be interesting:

Rogan: You know Nick has really strong BJJ
    Goldberg: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?
    Rogan: No, Bong Jiu Jitsu. He totally smoked me up before the fight. He always has the best ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    It's the governments way of sneaking in a chance to make sure you're not breaking a stupid law.
    Ah yeah, that makes more sense.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast