232694 Bullies, 3619 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 11:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tangent. I liked your kicks early in the fight....I need to force myself to commit like that. I suck too much myself to offer further critique or commentary.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    4/04/2008 12:49am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangent
    Thanks for the input so far, guys. First I'd like to ask Steve about his decline of the shin checking. I thought that was pretty standard? And actually, that's one of the things that I do CONSTANTLY in training, but didn't do at all in this fight. Who knows?
    My bad, I was thinking of absorbing (basic leg lift to change the surface of the kick landing on from being perpendicular to parallel). Too many drills lately on defending and stepping off the line to counter...

Checking wise, as Osiris mentioned, is very effective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv90DtpHTj4
    Last edited by Steve; 4/04/2008 1:02am at . Reason: ug, long night.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2008 8:12am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Um shin checking is the most effective way to block leg kicks. It obviously requires a level of shin conditioning, in a healthy individual that is fine.

Steve I could post hundreds of youtube videos showing a shin check to a leg kick with no negative results. I could show maybe 3/4 showing a shin break. I have seen several fights and have failed to see a shin break yet.

This is hijacking tangents thread though, maybe you should start a thread in YMAS is you wish to dicuss this or use the search function I'm sure this subject has been broached many times before.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    4/04/2008 9:23am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakmongkol
    Um shin checking is the most effective way to block leg kicks. It obviously requires a level of shin conditioning, in a healthy individual that is fine.

Steve I could post hundreds of youtube videos showing a shin check to a leg kick with no negative results. I could show maybe 3/4 showing a shin break. I have seen several fights and have failed to see a shin break yet.

This is hijacking tangents thread though, maybe you should start a thread in YMAS is you wish to dicuss this or use the search function I'm sure this subject has been broached many times before.
    Huh, I didn't realize that answering a DIRECT question that Tangent posted in this thread to ME was hijacking a thread.

Fucking dumbass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2008 5:12pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sakmongkol, when Steve posted that video, he was trying to show that shin checks ARE effective, and that he was misunderstanding what we were talking about when he made his original post about them NOT being effective.

Anyway, my hands DO drop, but that's another thing I did that I don't understand. Mind you, I'm not trying to make it sound like I spar perfectly in training, but it's just weird - in training, I tend to keep my hands up, check kicks, and kick a LOT. I didn't do any of those things in this fight, and it still astounds me. My buddy's girlfriend kept yelling at me from the crowd to "KEEP YOUR HANDS UP!" but I just wouldn't do it. Maybe you guys are right, and there's too much TKD in me.

KempoFist, thanks! They were alright in the beginning, don't know why I didn't keep it up.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    4/04/2008 5:32pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangent
    Sakmongkol, when Steve posted that video, he was trying to show that shin checks ARE effective, and that he was misunderstanding what we were talking about when he made his original post about them NOT being effective.

Anyway, my hands DO drop, but that's another thing I did that I don't understand. Mind you, I'm not trying to make it sound like I spar perfectly in training, but it's just weird - in training, I tend to keep my hands up, check kicks, and kick a LOT. I didn't do any of those things in this fight, and it still astounds me. My buddy's girlfriend kept yelling at me from the crowd to "KEEP YOUR HANDS UP!" but I just wouldn't do it. Maybe you guys are right, and there's too much TKD in me.

KempoFist, thanks! They were alright in the beginning, don't know why I didn't keep it up.

Keeping your hands up is just one of those things thats hard to remember to do under pressure. Even in training I remember my coach yelling at me to keep my damn hands up, and I'm yelling "they are up!" meanwhile they're at waist level.

Its just one of those things you have to drill and drill until you do it without thinking.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234