218283 Bullies, 8931 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 10:03pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangent
    I definitely was kind of worried about the clinch. There are a bunch of videos from the previous Muay Thai match they had in the area, and there were a lot more MT fights that night than on the night that I fought. Anyway, 50% of those fights consisted of almost 75% clinch. I really didn't want my fight to turn into that, because at his height, he probably would have owned me.

Hahaha you know, about the cage... that was another thing that threw me off. The entire time I was training, we thought I was going to be fighting in a ring. We showed up or the fight and saw a cage, and found out right then that I wasn't fighting in a ring. It was kind of intimidating, to be honest, but the floor was really grippy and there was a lot of room. It was just mentally weird to find that out right before the fight.

Thanks for that last part. It's really only hitting me just now that I really, actually did this.
    Here:

I'll give you idea what I was talking about in my last post.

I'm the guy in the camo trunks getting owned. I'm not putting this up here for critique, because its a miserable performance, but I thought you might get a kick out of it.
    This is me freaking out.

Oh. My coach stopped this fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yH-dpe6mMA
    Last edited by JP; 3/28/2008 10:07pm at .
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 8:21am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangent
    Also, I'm not sure why Khun Kao thought I wasn't in good condition for this fight. I actually worked on my conditioning a lot during my training, and used a lot of stuff from Ross Enamait (the guy behind Infinite Intensity), and I really felt like it helped me a lot. After the fight, if I hadn't taken that last leg kick, I could have gone two more rounds to be honest, both in muscle endurance and cardio.
    I will grant you that. I'm just giving you my gut impression, as you seemed to be getting fatigued. As the fight went on, I saw instances of you getting "sloppier" with your technique which led me to believe you were getting winded. However, I acknowledge that fighting a size mismatch like you did will make most people look "sloppy".

But its funny you mention that, I once had my ass handed to me in a match, and my coach insisted that I was out of condition, but I felt the same way as you! I could have gone a few more rounds! My body was in great shape... it was the pounding my jaw took in that fight that made me look like crap. LOFL! While you definitely didn't get your ass handed to you, I come back to the size mismatch that can give a misleading impression....
    Last edited by Khun Kao; 3/31/2008 8:23am at .

blotter art.

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 11:00am

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Here:

I'm the guy in the camo trunks getting owned. I'm not putting this up here for critique, because its a miserable performance, but I thought you might get a kick out of it.
    This is me freaking out.

Ooh, rough one jp.

The funny thing about that fight is that you actually look pretty good outside the clinch, but as soon as he gets you in it, it's like you have no idea what to do. Was it just a psychological thing?

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 7:00pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Domite
    Ooh, rough one jp.

The funny thing about that fight is that you actually look pretty good outside the clinch, but as soon as he gets you in it, it's like you have no idea what to do. Was it just a psychological thing?
    I was actually thinking the exact same thing, you look good, but once you get in the clinch it gets rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Khun Kao
    I will grant you that. I'm just giving you my gut impression, as you seemed to be getting fatigued. As the fight went on, I saw instances of you getting "sloppier" with your technique which led me to believe you were getting winded. However, I acknowledge that fighting a size mismatch like you did will make most people look "sloppy".

But its funny you mention that, I once had my ass handed to me in a match, and my coach insisted that I was out of condition, but I felt the same way as you! I could have gone a few more rounds! My body was in great shape... it was the pounding my jaw took in that fight that made me look like crap. LOFL! While you definitely didn't get your ass handed to you, I come back to the size mismatch that can give a misleading impression....
    Yeah, I see what you mean. Everything is weird when you have to punch UP to hit the guy...

Achievements:

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 10:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Domite
    Ooh, rough one jp.

Yes. I was temporarily (or permanently, depending on who you ask) retarded. My only consolation is that he went pro shortly after and then went to thailand, and defeated a professional fighter there.
    and listen to others,

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 12:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tangent a lot of what people may be saying is based on your reaction the the nerves of getting in there.

JP' looked nothing like the guy who was training for the fight, and was way more affected by jitters then he was for MMA fights . In training his clinch was strong. His opponent was very good and was a title holder for a reason but that was not Justin in there that night. It happens to everyone

But Justin you had cool shorts. And the good thing about being retarded is we are always happy

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 5:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dunlap
    Tangent a lot of what people may be saying is based on your reaction the the nerves of getting in there.

JP' looked nothing like the guy who was training for the fight, and was way more affected by jitters then he was for MMA fights . In training his clinch was strong. His opponent was very good and was a title holder for a reason but that was not Justin in there that night. It happens to everyone

But Justin you had cool shorts. And the good thing about being retarded is we are always happy

Thanks Phil. It really is all about the cool shorts. And being retarded.
    and listen to others,

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 9:24am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Here:

This is me freaking out.

Holy crap! You were fighting Ben Case. He can make just about anyone look ridiculous in the ring. Ben's a top-freaking-notch opponent! I worked his corner at one "Battle of Brooklyn" event a few years back. Great fighter with an awesome clinch!

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 1:17pm

Style: Muay Thai - Sub Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The hand position starts good but in (all to familiar) TKD style they drop when you launch the kick and, therefore, you have no real defense when he backs you up afterwards. Having moved myself from TKD to MT and this is a real pain in the ass to get rid off. Work on mid range punch covering too and keep your hands up when you kick, so when you drop out just after, in to mid range, you feel stronger and prepared.

If your hands are up, he won't see an opening, and won't be so keen to back you up, and you won't feel that familiar (too me as well) sense of dread that makes you sometimes bend and turn away to cover.

Basically I'm having trouble with this too and was thinking all the way through watching the video "uhuh, uhuh.. when I'm under pressure I do that.. damn.. damn ...that's why!".

If I were you I'd study thai hand positions during kicks, I certainly am! :)
    Last edited by prs1002000; 4/03/2008 1:19pm at .

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 2:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khun Kao
    Holy crap! You were fighting Ben Case. He can make just about anyone look ridiculous in the ring. Ben's a top-freaking-notch opponent! I worked his corner at one "Battle of Brooklyn" event a few years back. Great fighter with an awesome clinch!
    I think "fighting" might not be the most accurate way to describe what I was doing in that ring. But we're hijacking tangents thread and I don't wanna do that. Ben was an absolute gentleman about the whole thing and it was an honor to stand across from him.
    and listen to others,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast