Registered Member

Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 11:09pm

Style: Hiatus: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The formalities are simple at my gym. We bow to the mat, and bow to the instructor before we start class. That's about all the bowing we do. Before we roll we shake/slap hands but not so much afterwards.

No sparring the higher ranks without asking? I'm typically the only White belt in class, or at least the only one who stays to spar. I'd kill to have some whites to spar against. Don't get me wrong I learn tons of great moves from the higher belts and I probably would still be flailing around if it wasn't for all the patience at time they give me, but sometimes I just want to spar someone around my level. Where I'm at now I'm just trying to get through a round without getting subbed.

United States Marine.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 11:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by a100
    Where I'm at now I'm just trying to get through a round without getting subbed.
    now, wait till you can get through the round without being subbed.

Wait till its not as difficult.

wait till you can start threatening higher belts with submissions.

wait till you get one...

That will all happen faster since you train with them, rather then idiots at your level. Sure, it feels damn good to tap someone, but its sorta like arguing with an idiot, even if you win, you still kinda lose...

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 11:52pm

Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My instructor is brazilian, as are a number of our blackbelts. i ask them to roll all the time, sometimes even declaring im going to castrate/steal there womenz/take there shoes if i win(wont even come close to happening). they never seem to get mad. except for one guy, who trys to kill me everytime and hurts me alot. hes the least english speaking brazilian, so maybe he is following this doctrine, and i just dont know. i like to give one of our instructors judo chops in the neck when we are rolling and hes not paying attention. i like to have fun, so i have found a good place. we do bow in and out of class, and sometimes get hit with a bambo sword thing (shinai sp?) if we mess around to much. thats about it

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 12:03am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never heard of any of the rules in this thread anywhere I've rolled. Never heard anyone mention them until now either. We do the line up in order and bow thing at the end of class at my current school. No rules about who rolls with who or who gets out of whose way that I've seen. Seems sort of elitist to me.
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Injury Waiting To Happen

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 12:54am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rules are for suckers.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 3:10am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bowing? What is this, karate? The whole point of BJJ as a MA was here was a martial art that didn't give into the mumbo jumbo of "teacha disciprine." It was effective, and straightforward.

I think a deferential "respect" heirarchy is stupid, especially if it's just based on belt color. There were plenty of people I knew at the place I trained who were skilled well above what their belt color was, and to have a rule like "you can't ask higher belts they ask you" is totally contrary to being able to learn from people better than you.

Instead of respect, it should just be about professionalism. A white belt asking to roll with a purple belt isn't being disrespectful. Everybody's there to learn, whether it's a little or a lot. When they roll they roll with professionalism. No ego, no honor crap, just about learning the skills, as two adults.

To me, that's what the "American" way of doing things is really about. Otherwise, I guess we should all start rolling up our gi sleeves and training in mystical mountain dojos in Japan while washing our sensei's car.

Featherweight

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 3:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We bow at the start and end of class and we shake hands with one another (everyone) at the end of class. But it's still extremely friendly, familial, and casual.

And in comment to the poster above me, I respect pretty much everyone I train with, but I especially give merit to my instructors and the ones who spend so much time and energy in making my game better. I respect their accomplishments and the time they put in and the skill that they have. I don't magically give respect to anyone who comes in the door with a belt, but if they show themselves to be a decent human being, technically skilled, and especially if they want to try to share some of that with me, thats worthwhile of some appreciation.

I agree that a lower ranked belt should be allowed to ask a higher rank to roll (and I sometimes do) but at our school everyone tends to get thrown in the mix with everyone anyway.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 3:45am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We slap hands with the partner before rolling and shake hands with everyone after each class, and that's it, when it comes to BJJ specific rules.

The only strange rule comes from training at mainly Jujutsu gym.. No drinking inside the gym. You have to go to the hall for that. Don't really see the point, but I can live with that.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 3:48am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When we're told to change partners, I just grab the nearest person, whether they're White, Blue or Purple belts. Never knew that it was considered 'rude'.

I've noticed, in my limited experience that the BJJ guys who bow tend to also be Judoka.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

How do elenchus?

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 4:00am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think we're supposed to bow in, but I never do. We bow out though, and clap or something.

One thing we definitely do each class is line up, then go around the line doing manly hand-grab-shoulder-slap maneuvers.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast