Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 8:09pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ Norms

A couple weeks ago when Royce was in town giving a seminar, he gave us the instruction to pair up and roll. One guy there, a blue belt, asked a purple belt to roll and Royce yelled "you can't do that!" It was obvious that he was having fun with it, but he continued "a lower belt can't pick a higher belt, a Brazilian would send you to the hospital for that."

The other day, I mentioned that to my buddy who is a purple belt who I usually seek out to roll w/ because he is close to my weight and I learn so much from him, and I jokingly apologized for my past 18 months of indiscretion.

He laughed and said to "forget it" because "we don't care about that ****."

We don't bow and are generally about as non-traditional as you can get. But...it made me wonder, what other kind of 'traditional rules' do I not know of?

Can anyone give me a quick run down of any traditional norms around bjj?

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 8:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have a rule that lower belts must give way to higher belts if two pairs are grappling and getting too close.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 9:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always try to seek out higher belts to roll with.

I dislike rolling with my fellow whites...

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 10:10pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw
    A couple weeks ago when Royce was in town giving a seminar, he gave us the instruction to pair up and roll. One guy there, a blue belt, asked a purple belt to roll and Royce yelled "you can't do that!" It was obvious that he was having fun with it, but he continued "a lower belt can't pick a higher belt, a Brazilian would send you to the hospital for that."

The other day, I mentioned that to my buddy who is a purple belt who I usually seek out to roll w/ because he is close to my weight and I learn so much from him, and I jokingly apologized for my past 18 months of indiscretion.

We don't bow and are generally about as non-traditional as you can get. But...it made me wonder, what other kind of 'traditional rules' do I not know of?

osu and bow into and out of the mat and the class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 10:22pm

Style: Crappling (BJJ Hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    I always try to seek out higher belts to roll with.

I dislike rolling with my fellow whites...
    Racist. ;)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 10:37pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw

In some schools around the world you just CAN'T challenge a higher belt to a fight and the main reason behind that is that, in same places if you trash the higher belt you get his belt and he gets demoted and ****. Crazy brazilian **** for sure, but true since I saw it a couple of times. The higher belt can call you out for a roll, if you do the same to him it turns into a challenge of sorts and if he brakes you too bad for you, no one will give it a second tought!
    From what I see it, this stunt doesn't play well with the american psyche, along with bowing or getting belted or such. Something to do with authority, etc...but the point is that, all of these behaviours were created out of simple alpha male mentality and a certain desire to maintain a simple hierarchy and respect in a injuries rich sport and art!

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 11:32pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been to places where the rule is 'You don't ask to roll with a senior belt. They ask you.'

Whatever. Some of the whites are aware of this protocol where I train, despite the fact that there is no rule like that. I tell them protocol be damned, ask me to roll whenever you feel like it.

Doesn't mean I'll say yes, but you can ask me regardless of your rank.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 11:38pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    I've been to places where the rule is 'You don't ask to roll with a senior belt. They ask you.'

Whatever. Some of the whites are aware of this protocol where I train, despite the fact that there is no rule like that. I tell them protocol be damned, ask me to roll whenever you feel like it.

Doesn't mean I'll say yes, but you can ask me regardless of your rank.
    That, to me, is stupid. How are you going to get better by rolling people around your skill level?

I love rolling with purples. Just tonight i rolled with a purple belt, he smashed me. Oh dear lord he destroyed me, but he neglected to get water during the down time (probably because he didn't need it, lol!) to help me with the mistakes i was making.

I don't know, maybe its just the attitude at my academy, everyone is nice as ****, and willing to help.

Plus everyone rolls everyone.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 11:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we line up in belt order at times, bowing in when coming on the mat, not blatantly instructing new techniques to beginners when there is an instructor on the mat, etc.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 11:51pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    not blatantly instructing new techniques to beginners when there is an instructor on the mat

thats just common sense...

otherwise, your a douchebag. lol
Page 1 of 13 1 234511 ... LastLast