Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 1:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I think I'm in the wrong martial art...

I just finished reading most of the insanely long thread about Poekoelan Tjimindie Tulen, and I must say, you have me worried.
    I've just started training, and I've been doing my best to ignore the more spiritual elements that I've noticed. However, as I'm advancing, I'm worried that they'll get harder to ignore and I'll have to quit (or pretend that I believe martial artists can light things on fire with their minds and communicate with the dead).

So, I've got a question. Is it even worth my time staying there? I live on sunny Cape Cod, and I train because it's a good workout and I like it, not so I can learn to kick the **** out of people. A lot of the posters had problems with Tulen because they wanted to punch people in the face. I don't really want to do that. I just want something that's gonna keep me in shape, motivate me, and let me taunt people (no fighting, remember, just taunting).

What does your Ouija board from the grave tell you? Should I stay and focus on the physical aspects while ignoring the bad mystic vibrations? Or should I switch to a different style?
  2. BJJbot

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 1:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BULL RUSH ON gabrielsama!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 1:33pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ/Boxing/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gabrielsama
    I just finished reading most of the insanely long thread about Poekoelan Tjimindie Tulen, and I must say, you have me worried.
    I've just started training, and I've been doing my best to ignore the more spiritual elements that I've noticed. However, as I'm advancing, I'm worried that they'll get harder to ignore and I'll have to quit (or pretend that I believe martial artists can light things on fire with their minds and communicate with the dead).

So, I've got a question. Is it even worth my time staying there? I live on sunny Cape Cod, and I train because it's a good workout and I like it, not so I can learn to kick the **** out of people. A lot of the posters had problems with Tulen because they wanted to punch people in the face. I don't really want to do that. I just want something that's gonna keep me in shape, motivate me, and let me taunt people (no fighting, remember, just taunting).

What does your Ouija board from the grave tell you? Should I stay and focus on the physical aspects while ignoring the bad mystic vibrations? Or should I switch to a different style?
    What do you mean by "taunting and not fighting"? Martial arts are about fighting, not taunting, where I am from taunting gets your ass kicked. Now with that said if your only looking for a workout then you could do a number of things, join a workout/cardio gym, try Cardio Kickboxing or Tae Bo. Now from how you have said what you said in your post, it seems as if you are trying to get in shape through martial arts without actually doing or learning martial arts, so to me it seems you just want to sound cool to yoru friends when you say I do martial arts. When in reality your not learning anything that could help you in a fight nor do you have the intention or mindset of using it in a fight. So i would say get a personale trainer at a regular gym, and drop martial arts. Now if you are doing it for self defense reason then fine by all means keep doing martial arts, just not that one. If no then yea you should deffinatly give it up.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 1:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where on the cape are you?
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 1:41pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes where on the cape are you?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 1:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are plenty of good MA schools that you can go to get a good workout at and save yourself the "spirituality" BS that is behind Poekoelan Tjimindie Tulen.

Christ, if you read the Bullshido thread and the brief wiki on it ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poekoelan_Tjimindie_Tulen ) why would you want to get involved in it.

If all you are looking for is a good sweat and some comradery you can do much better MA wise and not have to mess with the whole danger of indoctrination you'll face at Poekoelan.

http://www.capecodfighting.com/index.php

here is large listing of MMA schools in Massachusetts...you DO NOT have to be a fighter to train MMA, many of the people at my gym which is American Top Team simply train to stay in shape and not to fight or compete.

http://www.mma411.com/

Good luck

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 8:31am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me rephrase.

About not fighting-I'm being realistic. I live on friggen CAPE COD, the chances of me actually ever having to fight in any situation is about 1 in a million.

You all go on about self-defense, but unless you guys all live in the ghet-to and walk around on the street in a pink tutu with hundred dollar bills hanging off you, you're never going to use 95% of the self-defense you learn. People don't just get randomly attacked. I've lived 22 years and have never been attacked. So, yes, martial arts teaches self-defense. However, I understand that chance is good I will never use it for that purpose. And no matter how macho you are, you're probably never going to either (unless you go around trying to start fights to prove your a high and mighty martial artist).

As far as the taunting goes, that was a little tongue in cheek. I'm a very unimposing type person, and I like to tease people that I may look weak, but I'm totally a ninja. I am no such thing. It's about poking fun of myself in front of my friends rather than robbing little kids' lunch monies.

I'm in it for more than the workout. I like learning things, and it doesn't take a friggen genius to raise and lower a heavy bar. I gain flexibilty, strength, and wind in one fun set of exercises. There is a sense of camaraderie to it as well. Plus, it's fun. I'm doing martial arts and learning them...I'm just not kicking the crap out of people-apparantly the definition of a "twue" martial art by some people's definition.

I live in Dennis, and I've seen several martial arts schools in the area.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 8:49am

Style: Monkey-See-Monkey-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you live in Cape Cod, you might have to use self defence if one of the Kennedy's gets drunk in close proximity to you. Especially Ted. You might end up in a lake somewhere.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 9:14am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you would probably be happier at this site.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 9:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kicking Bulimia Victims

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gabrielsama
    Let me rephrase.

About not fighting-I'm being realistic. I live on friggen CAPE COD, the chances of me actually ever having to fight in any situation is about 1 in a million.

You all go on about self-defense, but unless you guys all live in the ghet-to and walk around on the street in a pink tutu with hundred dollar bills hanging off you, you're never going to use 95% of the self-defense you learn. People don't just get randomly attacked. I've lived 22 years and have never been attacked. So, yes, martial arts teaches self-defense. However, I understand that chance is good I will never use it for that purpose. And no matter how macho you are, you're probably never going to either (unless you go around trying to start fights to prove your a high and mighty martial artist).

As far as the taunting goes, that was a little tongue in cheek. I'm a very unimposing type person, and I like to tease people that I may look weak, but I'm totally a ninja. I am no such thing. It's about poking fun of myself in front of my friends rather than robbing little kids' lunch monies.

I'm in it for more than the workout. I like learning things, and it doesn't take a friggen genius to raise and lower a heavy bar. I gain flexibilty, strength, and wind in one fun set of exercises. There is a sense of camaraderie to it as well. Plus, it's fun. I'm doing martial arts and learning them...I'm just not kicking the crap out of people-apparantly the definition of a "twue" martial art by some people's definition.

I live in Dennis, and I've seen several martial arts schools in the area.
    So whats your point? You like the school?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast