Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 3:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Re: "1) Always stretch & warm up before class"

Actually, there is some research which says that (static) stretching before exercising does not help prevent injuries (yes, I should post links....).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 5:01pm

Style: Hapkido/BJJ(newb)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by evil_e
    Re: "1) Always stretch & warm up before class"

Actually, there is some research which says that (static) stretching before exercising does not help prevent injuries (yes, I should post links....).
    Stretch and warmup does not necessarily mean static stretches. I do agree that static stretching should probably be after the workout. I think the general sentiment of that rule is to prepare oneself for the upcoming activity. I am more of a fan of a parisi-like dynamic warmup with bodyweight movements and some rehab stuff, but without a lot of the lower back twisting stuff.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 5:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Seriously just go to class.
    Yes. This is the best advice in the thread. Go to the motherfucking class and stop worrying about bullshit. Your coaches will tell you when the right time is to get your gear, and they will also tell you what you need.

Trust your coaches, not clowns on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 7:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai (beginner)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyph
    I wanted to add to this a bit more. All that is posted here is awesome advice, and much of it is stuff I tell new students.

What I wanted to add was on the LDS running. When I was training hard, my coach always made us mix sprints in. Said it would help us with burst endurance and and generaly make us quicker. I just did it because he told me too. I later read books that also added to this theory. And just took it for granted.

Well, my son started wrestling this year ( he is 11, had a late start). He went from one program with the rec that was intense, lots and lots of running with sprints mixed in heavily. The kid became fast, really fast and explosive on the mat. Then he went to an off season program where they are not a tough on the kids. Running, but no sprints, really very little cardio. I have seen his speed and burst endurance decreas in this time. So I guess the proof is in the pudding as they say.

Take it or leave it, if you are going to run, mix in sprints.
    Thanks for the input. I think that what you are describing is not lsd, but interval training. I hadnt thought about incorporating intervals into my regiment, but I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and do it. Anyone know what the target time is is? Isn't it like 20 sec sprints with 2 min jogging to rest or something like that?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123