Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/25/2008 3:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Tsun, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Master Sken

Looking to start MT, does anyone have any experience of training in one of his schools in the UK, his Stockport gym is the only MT gym close to me and would like to know what its like before i decide whether to start or not.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2008 4:10pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I go/Used to go Master A's. I currently have a herniated disk and rotator cuff problems.

I knew a couple of people who trained at Master Skens, they said as a beginner you will not train with Master Sken himself but with his pupils. He also said they covered things such as knife defence etc its not exclusive Sport Muay Thai. I don't know whether this interests you or not.

That said, Master Sken is well renowned in the Muay Thai world and effectively brought Thai Boxing to Britain in the 80's. I'm pretty sure you should learn some good stuff, but there are plenty of options elsewhere around the stockport area if you are not happy with the training there.

Master A's is excellent training but a little bit of a commute away.

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 5:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've no knowledge of Muay Thai beyond watching it on the Telly - although I know/knew a couple of stylists. However, Master Sken is frequently featured in COMBAT, MAI mags (check you local newsagent) and both praise him mightily. Give it a go.

Cheers

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 4:29am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so where else is there near stockport? I understand Master Sken has put up the class price to 9 a lesson ... 9!

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 8:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The classes may be a little higher than what you were expecting. But if you want the best it costs more.
    If you were to train with Roger Gracie BJJ, I reckon he would charge more than yer average black belt in BJJ. So the choice is yours.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 10:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah you end up having to pay alot for lessons with famous ass people like sken.. if you just want sport muay thai and don't feel the need to gain imaginary grades (in thailand there is no such thing) then you can go elsewhere.

Posted On:
    8/14/2008 12:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muaythai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I travelled 400 miles round trip to train with him, because he is the best. His gym is over 5000 SQF. He must charge at right price. He charges for unlimit training at 20 a week. I think it is very reasonable.
    I know one of Muaythai Instructor from London is travelling to stockport every Tuesday in order to train with him.
    I saw people from Greece, USA, Autralia, Holland and many countries to train with him.
    Why? Because he is very good person and very good teacher.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/14/2008 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Other than the fact that Master Sken is a big star in the muay thai world, I don't really know much about him or his training. However, it seems silly, especially for a beginner, to pay an arm and a leg for someone because they're famous. Maybe after you have a decent amount of experience and are able to get some idea of how to judge good training from a less expensive gym, check out some of Sken's classes with some objectivity. Anything you hear here is most likely going to be very biased.

Just make sure to find a school with active competitors in muay thai (not just MMA) and you'll probably be good to go.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2008 7:33pm

Style: Muay Thai MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are cheaper clubs in the Manchester area to train muay thai. Are you in Stockport or the Manchester area?

Famous doesn't always mean best

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 2:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muaythai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are many Muaythai Clubs in Manchester and Stockport area why not visit them, at Master Sken's is free introduction class, you do not need to join until you think it right for you. Many Muaythai Clubs will concentrate on Ring sport, others concetrate on keep fit,Self-Defense and confidence. Find out what is real benifit and your Goals.