Our Sponsors:

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 10:02am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wallace is bitter- there was a time when, if you wanted to talk about an American full contact fighter, his name always came up. He had it like that for 20 years, and now, people talk about Liddel, Jackson, GSP, Gracie, etc, and no one mentions him anymore. I think he thought he was going to be like Ali or Sugar Ray Robinson, and it just didn't happen. Almost, but time marches on. I'm sure sales of his how to tapes are down, and all the hip surgery makes his training advice questionable (tons of static stretching, marathon kicks, backfists, etc) and he's just lashing out.

Something else comes to mind. When the whole krotty movie thing was happening, he got very few roles- compare him to Don Wilson. He missed the gravy train, so now the whole seminar/tape thing is going way down. Kids are starting to say "I want to take BJJ" not TKD. Eventually, it'll be "Bill who?" I see this all the time in business- old farts saying "back in my day, we didn't have blah, blah, blah" what they leave out is that the people today can't get their clients drunk, have fat expense accounts and write offs and don't have to compete against the fact that everything is on the web. Things are more intense and competitive now, not less. Being an older guy, I wish I could say it was harder and I **** nails, but that's just not the case. Watch some of those old PKA matches- it was like point karate with a bunch of flailing "ridge hands" and you had to make rules so that people would kick- otherwise some grade B boxer would come out and knock the **** out of the world champion (That's what happened to Joe Lewis, the PKA heavyweight Champ and Wallace's buddy). Boy, that was a run on sentence. anyway, back to work.
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

:)

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 10:38am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he was fighting "full contact" american kickboxing rules, with no leg kicks...then that's bullshit too. My first fight was without clinch or leg kicks...and from that vid...it looked like that's what they were doing. No clinching allowed, and no kicks below the waist....it's a bunch of ****, for him to be judging mma.

Kickboxing, especially fc...is a wholly different animal than mma. A smaller, less dangerous animal, with less teeth and claws.

Any moderately good thai boxer would likely destroy, with certainty...mr wallace if he wasn't conditioned to get kicked in the legs. It's just the way the muscles react, if it's a new sensation.
    I think he's bitter, because bjj, and wrestling have had such a great impact on the sport. He doesn't find everyone asking him for permission to be good at combat...and it burns him up, I guess.

And...he's no Andy Hug (RIP)

EDIT...plus, because of his injury (right knee during judo) he couldn't even take one kick to that leg...and it's not krotty...a thai guy can find that leg, and make it pay.

He also was the WORST commentator they've ever had on the UFC, perhaps that didn't help.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 11:02am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My entire opinion of Bill Wallace is based on that Chuck Norris flick he was in.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 11:22am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    My entire opinion of Bill Wallace is based on that Chuck Norris flick he was in.
    That would be ' A Force of One '
    But the best fight scene he had was in the 1985 lesser-known Jackie Chan flick 'The Protector'. This movie also features Big John Studd as a coked- out armed robber and has Danny Aiello in it as well. It showcases some great Jackie Chan stunts - long before he became famous for them like he is now.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 11:24am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, he played a fucknuckle in that one too.

As an actor, he does arrogant cocksucker real well.

That one scene where he put his side kick up to Chuck face during the cocktail party...yeah...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 11:28am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108

That one scene where he put his side kick up to Chuck face during the cocktail party...yeah...
    " A perfect fit. " lol
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 11:34am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't discount Wallace's fighting as quickly as some of you. The "American Kickbixing" ruleset for the early years of US kickboxing, as I understand it, is full contact from the waist up. To say that Wallace wasn't very tough because he never took/threw legs kicks is just a side-effect of the rules that govern the sport. That said, I'm sure there were others in his time that were much better than he, but maybe not under those rules. In my opinion, he was just good at his sport.

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 12:10pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bottom line, he was undefeated and beat everyone they put infront of him...he used his left leg like a jab and could follow up with punches.

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 12:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    Bill Wallace used his lead leg primarily for speed He can change the elad elg kick into a roundhouse, hook, or side kick in mid kick. Also he can use combos easier from it without retracting the foot.

I have quite a few of his videos and this is why he said he uses the lead leg. Its in Dynamic kicking or something like that. From Panther Video.
    That is all true, but the other guy was correct. Wallace fucked up his rear leg's knee in Judo and can't kick with it. He has to wear a brace on it while fighting just to allow him to use it as a support while he kicked with the other leg.
    Last edited by maofas; 3/27/2008 12:20pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 12:20pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, the bottom line is he is upset about becoming a ghost unlike Ali, Marciano, Bruce Lee or even Chuck Norris.

He is now writing one sided bitter articles. That's what the thread was about before it went into his fighting prowess.
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast