Posted On:
    4/15/2008 3:50pm

Style: Tai Chi,BJJ,knife-dueling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

TKD is Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    What exactly is your point?
    I guess now my only point is that the only full contact rule sets that encourage Wallace kicking are TKD (though apparently not all forms of TKD where these kind of kicks do not "award points,") and that's the only place we ever see it in 2008 (besides karate light-contact point fighting,) so that if you want to learn the r3@l Wallace, some style(s) of TKD is the place to go.

Someone said "not ITF because they allow face punching", but most my youtube references in this thread are ITF (including the most important one.) Face punching was also allowed in the full contact competitions Wallace participated in, so "leg kicks" are more important than "face punching" when it comes to preventing Wallace technique. (Even in WCL - founded by people who like Korean martial arts, and where there are plenty of ax kicks and spinning kicks to spare - we don't see the Wallace technique, since there are highly restricted leg kicks allowed.)

What this has to do with Wallace is that if you want a style to practice his technique in, ITF (and perhaps other forms of) TKD may be for you, because it's similar to the ruleset Wallace used: face punches, no leg kicks, and points for using Wallace kicks. His technique has been successful in ITF TKD recently:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A69tR66qIc
    Last edited by BFGalbraith; 4/15/2008 4:08pm at .

Posted On:
    4/15/2008 7:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    um. No.

A full speed rush against a timed back kick gets you KTFOed. Time & again. That video is one of about 20 of that same kid doing it to countless opponents, timed perfectly to their incoming motion. I used that tactic all the time in Olympic-style. & was still able to pull it off when I switched to Gyeoktugi & Jun Fan Kickboxing. If that doesn't work for you, how about GSP pulling it off perfectly against a rushing opponent & droppping him?

That's what that kick is used for.
    Um, yes, well.

If anyone can make that work on a consistent basis, more power to them. My reticence in this matter comes from my own experience at nightclub door dealing with the skinny kids that try this in order not to get thrown out for being assholes. The most recent time I dealt with it, however, was not a club: it was at a TD (it's videoed but I don't know how to embed it; it's the last Toronto one). The turn of the hip that telegraphs this kick was warning enough, and the usual happened: I went straight into his back as he turned, he went down and I was in a place where I could have gone either side-control or rear-mount. Then I remembered it was only supposed to be stand-up. Oops, my bad. (It was a genuine mistake on my part: pure standup isn't a staple of mine--as is obvious from the vid--and the instincts aren't there).

As for club door, even if some pirouetting idiot caught me somewhere (arms in boxing-defensive or whatever) with the foot before I went into their back, I was on two legs and they were on only one. Given the size and weight differential between yours truly and most of them, the harder they kicked me as I came forward, the further they sent themselves flying. "Rushing" may mean something different in standup, I don't know.

Anyway, kansamnida for the pointers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2008 8:33am

Style: TKD, wrestling, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Early TKD . . . yup looks like Wallace has the influence.
    Attached Images  

Posted On:
    4/16/2008 12:24pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He used his front foot like a jab to set up his punches. Due to the speed of his kicks, it was extremely difficult to penetrate it. When he lifted his knee, he could do any of three kicks:side, round, hook, and he can do them high or low. I don't think lot of you realize how effective and how fast he was....

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    4/16/2008 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGalbraith
    I guess now my only point is that the only full contact rule sets that encourage Wallace kicking are TKD (though apparently not all forms of TKD where these kind of kicks do not "award points,") and that's the only place we ever see it in 2008 (besides karate light-contact point fighting,) so that if you want to learn the r3@l Wallace, some style(s) of TKD is the place to go.
    Are you fucking stupid? This thread isnt about where to find t3h r34l Bill Wallace. Take your point changing ass to antoher thread.

Posted On:
    4/17/2008 8:09am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    Are you fucking stupid? This thread isnt about where to find t3h r34l Bill Wallace. Take your point changing ass to antoher thread.

Right. I don't get how these guys associate Wallace and TKD.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 11:15pm

Style: Tai Chi,BJJ,knife-dueling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wallace and TKD suck for the same reasons

Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    He used his front foot like a jab to set up his punches. Due to the speed of his kicks, it was extremely difficult to penetrate it. When he lifted his knee, he could do any of three kicks:side, round, hook, and he can do them high or low. I don't think lot of you realize how effective and how fast he was....
    Yeah, I know, and it's sooo great too! Why it's just like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A69tR66qIc

Are you fucking stupid?
    Yeah, I lack the genius it takes to teach kids to not put their hands up, on the off chance that perhaps a "dim mak" kick "too powerful to be blocked" might be thrown by an attacker.

Let me spell this out for you all once and for all, lest there be any question of what I've been getting at here: Wallace Sucks, and TKD Sucks, and they suck for the same reasons. (See above video for just ONE example.) These are not the normal "TKD sucks" complaints about the impracticality of a marital art based on high kicks, it's the whole foundational premise of how the martial art works, the rulesets involved in competion. Apparently there is one of several types of TKD ("Olympic"/WTF) where Wallace's trade mark kicking technique does not score points, yet all the other stupid things about Wallace remain (standing sideways, dropping the hands, etc.)

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 11:44pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently there is one of several types of TKD ("Olympic"/WTF) where Wallace's trade mark kicking technique does not score points, yet all the other stupid things about Wallace remain (standing sideways, dropping the hands, etc.)

Oh **** SanShou Sucks Bill Wallace created that too:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqUsUvUERdU

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 7:46am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I lack the genius it takes to teach kids to not put their hands up, on the off chance that perhaps a "dim mak" kick "too powerful to be blocked" might be thrown by an attacker.
    Thanks for lumping the bazillion or so styles of TKD together.

Let me spell this out for you all once and for all, lest there be any question of what I've been getting at here: Wallace Sucks, and TKD Sucks, and they suck for the same reasons.
    I am sure there will be video posted of me sparring at the NY TD. Please watch it closely and I think you will find that not all TKD is alike. Better yet, show up and we can spar. This isnt a threat, its a simple, come and see thing.
    Of course, you havent been getting at anything....you said that Bill Wallace directly influenced Oly TKD.

These are not the normal "TKD sucks" complaints about the impracticality of a marital art based on high kicks,
    TkD is an art based on series of linear combination attacks. There are kicks that set up kicks. Such as my favorite , lead leg round kick to spinning hook kick, or my fallback, side kick to spinning side kick.

Quote Originally Posted by you, because I dont want to type your name anymore.
    it's the whole foundational premise of how the martial art works, the rulesets involved in competion.
    No, you are confusing the premise of a SPORT type of TKD, versus the premise of the actual art. The rulesets are limited to that particular style of TKD.
    No tournament ruleset is perfect. BJJ doesnt allow leg locks. So no one really trains them. By your logic, the premise of the art is flawed since the Sport aspect ruleset varies from its intended use.

Quote Originally Posted by jodsovosddnvsiwwvjclbsiudc gpuwecg
    Apparently there is one of several types of TKD ("Olympic"/WTF) where Wallace's trade mark kicking technique does not score points, yet all the other stupid things about Wallace remain (standing sideways, dropping the hands, etc.)
    No one said that Wallace was the ****. Yet, before you claim "AHA FUCKER YES YOU DID!!1!!"

Notice I said...

Now we all know that in his day he was the r34l d34l. No one is arguing that
    That means, no one is arguing the validity of BW's skills, why you ask? Because it doesnt have anything to do with the thread topic.
    I also used l33t because I wanted everyone to understand the sarcasm in the statement, apparently I failed as badly as your "Bill Wallace popularized sport TKD." claim.
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829