Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2003 10:59am

Style: Big Cans O' Whoopass!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Luis,

since you weren't around for conversation between Matt, Djimbe and I - you can't speak about that I trust?

As far as the rest, All TRUTH all per my view of the semminar. Nothing was said about you or the rolling done between you and Djimbe. Djimbe left having learned from you and we both left respecting you.

You may well have video of Matt participating in the class - however there was NO participating during the hour or so that I was observing the seminar. I watched him closely, not once did he correct anyone. While you and Djimbe were on the mat, Matt's eyes NEVER came off of the two of you.

Now, while, I do very much appreciate your hospitality yesterday, and I am very happy to have met you - I can't possibly fathom what you are talking about. The only "side" of this that you can add is what happened when you rolled with Djimbe and our conversation AFTER all of this neither of which have been really spoken about. You may not like my assessment of the seminar. If my assesment of what I saw bothers you - for that I apologize, but those are my views on the situation, I have made no false allegations and I have posted honestly and clearly what I saw. Had I been treated GREAT by Matt Thornton those opinions would be the same.

I can't wait for the videos - and your future posts. I have no desire to make an enemy of you, Luis - (sorry to have spelled your name wrong all this time :)) I know you are convinced that these issues are of a personality conflict nature. While that may be partially true - NONE of that changes what happened during the semminar.

And for the record, who would be stupid enough to lie KNOWING full well that there WAS a video cameral there AND that you both would most likely be posting here? Please, give some credit. There is nothing on that video that can disprove ANYTHING that I said. Even if Matt was on the mat with someone during the seminar - THAT didn't happen while I was there - nor did I see him correct anyone while I was there. There was nothing but drilling done while I was there.... you may have videos refuting all of that - but none of it happened with me as a witness. Maybe it is unlike Matt, maybe he was off his game because we were there? If so - why? We posed no threat to anyone, were we not perfectly friendly with you and everyone else at the seminar?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2003 11:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the record, I want to clearly state this.

There was NOTHING wrong with the training style used in the seminar! It was exactly what I expected to see. As I have stated from the beginning there is nothing NEW or DIFFERENT about what Matt Thornton is selling. It is exactly what you see in any Non Mc Dojo Martial Arts school. Progressive resistance is bad nor is it new or inventive. It is the same as I have seen in any non mc dojo school I have seen - it is the same in our school and I am sure many of your schools. If it isn't you are in a McDojo - find a new school that is legit - don't buy into this - and pay $50 bucks for a sweatshirt.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2003 12:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Ki Chuan Do/Close Combat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Djimbe & Tigerfly,

From your posts, I don't see how you could not label this McDojo - you indicate he has unscrupulous marketing, slimy business practices and that he packages air which he sells as substance. The fact that it is high quality air shouldn't discount the fact that you feel he is misrepresenting what he is selling. This may seem like a minor point, but I think it is important that part of what makes something McDojo is a disconnect between what is advertised & what is provided. Although there is not an official definition of McDojo, I think that is a common theme in discussing the term.

SD

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2003 12:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Sicilian Dragon
    Djimbe & Tigerfly,

From your posts, I don't see how you could not label this McDojo - you indicate he has unscrupulous marketing, slimy business practices and that he packages air which he sells as substance. The fact that it is high quality air shouldn't discount the fact that you feel he is misrepresenting what he is selling. This may seem like a minor point, but I think it is important that part of what makes something McDojo is a disconnect between what is advertised & what is provided. Although there is not an official definition of McDojo, I think that is a common theme in discussing the term.

SD
    In my opinion a McDojo is a school that advertises that they will teach you how to fight but DOESN'T. McDojo's are schools that teach play fighting. Matt Thornton DOES NOT run a McDojo. His training practices are very good, I have NEVER said otherwise. I would assess that anyone training at a Straightblast gym or an affiliate school would get good fight training. THAT however has nothing to do with his marketing practices. The very fact that he says that no one outside of BJJ, Judo, Muay Thai, Wrestling or Boxing trains with "Aliveness" is a lie. THAT is my beef with him in addition to the fact that he openly stated to us that particular systems ARE INEFFECTIVE regardless of whether or not they train with "Aliveness". THIS is my problem with Matt Thornton. I have never once questioned his fighting ability or that of his students.

Marasmos

Posted On:
    11/16/2003 12:38pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting thread. I would like to hear from the other side before I make any judgements, though.
    You say what about my rice?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2003 12:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ABSOLUTELY, I wouldn't WANT it any other way. Everyone needs to be aware that it is going to be a lot of hesaid/shesaid. What I posted about what I saw in the seminar was my per view of the situation. Any adult knows that two people can watch the same sequence of events and come away with a different view of what happened.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2003 7:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Ki Chuan Do/Close Combat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by TigerFly
    In my opinion a McDojo is a school that advertises that they will teach you how to fight but DOESN'T. McDojo's are schools that teach play fighting.
    Ok - if that is your definition. Personally, I feel that the definition should include schools that don't deliver what they promise - regardless of whether it is the ability to fight (as you state), fire from hand, or anything else.

SD

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    11/16/2003 7:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, I have to be honest - my opinion of how he has marketed himself hasn't changed. Since I have now met him in person, I can say that he is rude and his interpersonal/communication skills are lacking.
    Maybe that's because you're a dumb [s]****[/s] [s]bitch[/s] [s]Hebrew[/s] potato salad.

EDIT: Uhh, pretend the above message has strikethrough on. Then it's HEE-larious!
    Last edited by Boyd; 11/16/2003 7:47pm at .
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    11/16/2003 7:31pm

Style: Okinowan Shuri

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Boyd
    Maybe that's because you're a dumb [s]****[/s] [s]bitch[/s] [s]Hebrew[/s] potato salad.

potato salad? Interesting choice... LOL

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    11/16/2003 8:03pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    who the **** is matt thorton?
Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 123 45671353 ... LastLast