Posted On:
    3/24/2008 12:55am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boston Herald article - Lauzon: BJ Penn trains hard

Lauzon: Penn is mightiest

For the most part, Joe Lauzon has a one-track mind. Like most UFC fighters, Lauzon doesn’t let his thoughts wander from his next fight. But when Lauzon does reflect on his career -- which has the 23-year-old quickly rising up the lightweight division ranks -- he points to one thing as the most important: having mixed martial arts legend B.J. Penn as his coach on “The Ultimate Fighter 5.”

“It was a life changing experience,” Lauzon said. “I basically went on the show because I heard B.J. was going to be a coach. It kind of blows my mind when I think about it -- if I hadn’t done the show how different things would have been.”

It’s impossible to say how Lauzon’s career would have progressed if he didn’t go on TUF, but it’s safe to say he wouldn’t have forged such a bond with Penn, the current UFC lightweight champion.

Lauzon (15-3) lost in the semifinals of the TUF competition, but Penn saw enough in the East Bridgewater native to invite him to train in Hawaii. Lauzon prepared for his win UFC 78 win over Jason Reinhardt in November at Penn’s camp in Hilo.

Lauzon returned to Hawaii in February to begin training for his highly anticipated headline bout against Dover’s Kenny Florian at Fight Night 13 on April 2 in Colorado.

“Being (in Hawaii) the first time, I was the new guy, but I went out there this time and I knew the guys,” Lauzon said. “I had a better idea of what was going on so I knew which days to rest and all that. I’m feeling good; I’m feeling strong.”

Training full-time is still something Lauzon is getting accustomed to. A year ago he was working 9-to-5 at his office job and training in his free time. Despite that training regiment, Lauzon knocked out former lightweight champion Jens Pulver in his UFC debut in 2006. Now that he’s able to focus solely on training, particularly with the guidance of a fighter of Penn’s aptitude, Lauzon believes he’s improved considerably.

“(I’ve improved) in everything really -- grappling, jiu-jitsu,” Lauzon said. “I’ve kind of changed the fundamentals a little bit and the priority I put on certain things. My grappling got a lot better and my wrestling got a lot better.”

Training in Hawaii might sound like dream job, but Lauzon’s workload would leave most longing for the office. During the six-week stay, Lauzon would hit the gym by 8 a.m. for 2 to 3 hours of strength and conditioning training. The middle of the day consisted mostly of rest, with surfing or swimming mixed in. Then it was back to the gym at 5 p.m. for another 2 to 3 hour workout, focused more on mixed martial arts skills, like grappling, boxing and kickboxing.

During his first stint in Hawaii, Lauzon was pleasantly surprised to find out how hard Penn trains. While no one denies Penn’s ability, his work ethic has been questioned at times during his career.

“When I went out there the first time I was a little bit worried about it,” Lauzon said. “I was fighting Jason Reinhardt and I knew a little bit about him and I wasn’t as concerned about him as I would be with a tougher opponent. If B.J. wasn’t training all that hard it would have been OK because I could have just done my own thing and still been alright. I was actually pretty surprised by how hard he does train.”

Lauzon is now in Colorado putting the finishing touches on his preparation and getting acclimated to the elevation. After six weeks of training with one of the best in the sport, he feels completely ready.

“My confidence is high,” Lauzon said. “I’m not really getting caught in the hype of it; I’m not getting caught up in the fact that it’s the main event. I’m looking at it for what it is: a fight. Regardless of all the other stuff, it comes down to the two of us locked in a cage and one of us is going to beat up the other. I’m feeling very confident in my chances. I’m going to win -- I know I’m going to win.”

Get in the action

The Sheraton Boston will host a casting call for the eighth season of the UFC reality show “The Ultimate Fighter.” Tryouts will take place on April 10 beginning at 9 a.m., though participants are encouraged to arrive early.

The auditions will be held for the lightweight (155 pounds) and light heavyweight (205 pounds) divisions. All applicants must be 21 or older and may sign up in advance at ufc.com or spiketv.com.

Around the Octagon

Joe isn’t the only fighter in the Lauzon family. Brother Dan became the youngest fighter in UFC history when he lost to Spencer Fisher in an October 2006 bout. The 19-year-old is trying to get back to the UFC and has caught the eye of president Dana White.

White was in Wilmington for Dan Lauzon’s fight in February and was impressed.

“I liked Dan before I even went there and he looked good that night too,” White said. “He had a fight just two weeks before that down in Atlanta. He’s a tough kid.” ...

White is effusive over Anderson Silva. But who wouldn’t be? Silva just defeated Dan Henderson to unify the UFC and Pride welterweight championship and cement his status as the top pound-for-pound fighter in mixed martial arts.

“He’s the best in the world,” White said of Silva. “He’s the greatest fighter a lot of people have ever seen. My whole thing was if he comes in and destroys Dan Henderson the way he has everybody else, what do you say about this guy? And he did it. He’s unbelievable.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/o...rts&position=3

Did I spell everyone's name correctly?
    The Boston Sheraton is pretty nice, they'll probably have the tryouts on the second floor there.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2008 9:27am

Style: CAR-AH-TAY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I'm missing something, but PJ Penn? I haven't heard that before.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2008 9:33am

Style: Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Papa Jay Penn, imo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2008 9:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trueeee

Posted On:
    3/24/2008 9:40am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    New rule: Piz Doff doesn't make new threads after midnight.

(Insert quip about PizDoff not making new threads at all.)
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2008 9:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    or PizDoff is just dumb I guess

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    3/24/2008 9:58am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Sheraton Boston will host a casting call for the eighth season of the UFC reality show “The Ultimate Fighter.” Tryouts will take place on April 10 beginning at 9 a.m., though participants are encouraged to arrive early.

The auditions will be held for the lightweight (155 pounds) and light heavyweight (205 pounds) divisions. All applicants must be 21 or older and may sign up in advance at ufc.com or spiketv.com.
    this. this is new.