Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2008 8:34pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Critique and Discuss My First Amateur MT Fight

Here's the vid of my first amateur Muay Thai fight. I hope I embedded it correctly. I'm the shorter guy with the black gloves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQlGHDWXUKo

There was a lot in this fight that I have no idea why I either did it, or DIDN'T do it. I'm thinking nerves, maybe? A lot of how I fought was nothing like how I trained for this fight, but my coach and I decided to change it up when we found out, on the night of the fight, that my opponent was significantly bigger than me. That was probably a bad idea, but I learned much.

Anyway, please help me out and critique my fight, for better or worse. I will appreciate the input!

Here's some additional information that might shed some light:

I'm 5'8" and weighed in at 152. My opponent is 6'2" and weighed in at either 160 or 162, can't remember which. I've been doing martial arts for over 9 years, but only training Muay Thai since August of 07. My primary art prior to 2004 was TKD, but I've mixed it up a lot since then. I currently train at http://www.arizonamuaythai.com/ with Paul Metayo, who was the main coach for Alex Gong in California throughout Gong's entire career (as far as I know).
    Last edited by Tangent; 3/27/2008 8:39pm at .

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 3:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to start checking leg kicks with the top of your shin. Also, keep your hands between his gloves and your face when not punching.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 4:03am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by moofcat
    You need to start checking leg kicks with the top of your shin.
    Checking leg kicks with any part of the shin is retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by moofcat
    Also, keep your hands between his gloves and your face when not punching.
    Um, duh?

My point for you moofcat: Lurk more and post less.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 4:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright. I want to give you the usual congratulations, for stepping in the cage. Also for staying in the fight for the full duration, for fighting it out, and for in general being a badass. I'm not going to critique your technical technique per say, but more of your overall gameplan and execution in that fight.

First of all, you were fighting a bigger opponent, and he physically imposed himself on you, and you spent most of the fight backing up. But the fact of the matter is that you didn't put in the work to win the fight. You did not really throw anything whatsoever for the first 40 seconds of the fight. It took you awhile to ease into finding your tempo. He also controlled the range, and was mostly all forward. You spent a lot of time backing up, pretty much the entire fight. It'll be hard as **** to win from moving backwards constantly. And although you did circle somewhat you need to do so sooner, and move at harder angles and counterattack more. If you're going to play that game, when you do commit to an attack you need to make an impression. Either on him, enough that he will be forced to rethink running into you, or the judges, so that you can have your hand raised.

I essentially think you should be more aggressive. While I don't emphasize a Thailand style brawl where you stand in the pocket and throw, your best options to win that stylistically were to be a superior counterpuncher, or make a guy who seems to only want to come forward start to back up. I know that theres some merit to you getting inside since he had the reach/range advantage, but I think you could have more success with changing the footwork (which may just be a matter of deciding to be more aggressive, you certainly did take his shots with a good deal of composure.)

Take that for what its worth, you will probably do better in your next fight be it win or lose simply by having the experience you just got. And ask your coach, because he's a lot better at this than me. (See: Spar more/ask coach, the uber strikenstein answer-all!!)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 5:46am

Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Uhh, since when?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 5:58am

Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To echo what Aero said, you need to control the distance better, especially with such a taller opponent.

Are knees to the head not allowed? There were a few times when you were bobbing and weaving that I thought your head was going to get kneed to the moon. But congrats on getting in there.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 6:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You gave up a lot of height, reach and weight in your first match... that takes balls.

For advice, ask your coach dude, I'll just throw some general encouragement your way ;). You seemed very timid in the first and he took full advantage of that, but you made up for it in the second by tagging him with some good shots, his head was a rockin' all over. I reckon you could've sneaked a win if you'd came out firing like that from the start. Good luck with your next match.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 7:47am

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the input so far, guys. First I'd like to ask Steve about his decline of the shin checking. I thought that was pretty standard? And actually, that's one of the things that I do CONSTANTLY in training, but didn't do at all in this fight. Who knows?

As for some more background, when we found out how big he was, my coach wanted me to use the following strategy:

"Don't engage him in the first round at all. He's probably going to come out strong, and I want you to back up and to the right (his left), countering with low right kicks after he throws something and you dodge. Don't punch at all in the first round."

So, that's what I was trying to do in the first round, and why I didn't throw much. The problem was that it was really difficult for me to find my distance and keep it. The other problem is that I didn't mean to, but I kept up with that strategy a bit during the entire fight, even though my coach told me not to after the first round. I don't know why.

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 8:12am

Style: RBSD, brazilian ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Don't engage him in the first round at all. He's probably going to come out strong, and I want you to back up and to the right (his left), countering with low right kicks after he throws something and you dodge. Don't punch at all in the first round."

good fight, that advice is bad. against a taller opponent with reach advantage you must make him back up. you cant afford to be pretty. your opponent had really shitty left hooks, he didnt raise his elbow. if he had good form you would have dropped. against someone of that build you should charge forward when he attacks and not dodge. get inside his range and attack faster than he can handle. shove him backwards and attack again. hard to do when his leg kicks are killing you though.

blotter art.

Posted On:
    3/28/2008 11:11am

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve

What?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast