Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 11:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Soo Bahk Do/Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Silly Round-eyes rant

I figure this is a good place to bash on Americans for their Korean pronunciation. Now...I'm a round eye myself. And my Korean is nowhere NEAR perfect.....but I like to think that I try. I spent a year there and I can honestly say that I've heard people say Gamsahamnida with a southern accent.....it is sad really. Maybe it can't be helped, but there's just no attempt there. Even in Martial Arts schools....you heard stuff like Char Eee Yoot (yes, three separate words) and when you correct them, all you get is "Well that's how [insert name of some influential Korean here] says it." Which to me says "I need an excuse for being an idiot," "I can't hear," or "[insert name of some influential Korean here] never spent a day of his life in Korea and doesn't speak the language." At the very least, make an attempt and when someone corrects you, DON'T say "You're my junior, you can't correct me." And for god's sake.....don't tell someone who speaks the language or has lived there and something is or isn't done or said in Korea.

KOREANS DO NOT SAY "Annyeong HaShimnika" to EVERYONE THEY MEET.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 11:52am

Style: Hapkido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, okay.

This sounds like you've had some bad personal experiences.

Personally, I don't really see the point of using Korean words in an American school anyway.

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 11:54am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hex
    Hmm, okay.

Personally, I don't really see the point of using Korean words in an American school anyway.

Maybe if my Korean is impeccable,

it makes my TKD extra d34dly!
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 11:56am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hex
    Hmm, okay.

I can see both sides. One one hand, using the Korean is a way to respect the tradition and heritage of the art. On another side, a block is a block, whether you call it Mahk Kee or Block....its still a block. But if you're going to use the term, it should be used right. I respect the culture enough to make every effort to get it as close as I can.

My teacher in Korea actually used English for everything. I learned the Korean terms when I got back here and from books. He felt that it was disrespectful to the students to teach in Korean. To him, it was just a name. We opened and closed class in Korean....that was was nothing more than Kung ryet, and Sugo hashesumnida.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 12:00pm

Style: Hapkido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MBuzzy

My teacher in Korea actually used English for everything. I learned the Korean terms when I got back here and from books. He felt that it was disrespectful to the students to teach in Korean. To him, it was just a name. We opened and closed class in Korean....that was was nothing more than Kung ryet, and Sugo hashesumnida.
    I agree with your Korean teacher then.

That's the one thing that bothered me about Judo. Every technique I learned had some Japanese name that I would forget by the next class.

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 12:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MBuzzy
    I can see both sides. One one hand, using the Korean is a way to respect the tradition and heritage of the art. On another side, a block is a block, whether you call it Mahk Kee or Block....its still a block. But if you're going to use the term, it should be used right. I respect the culture enough to make every effort to get it as close as I can.

Your teacher sounds like a reasonable individual,

what is your issue?

Be the bigger person, and let it slide,

or nitpick the point to death, and sound like a whiney bitch.
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 12:17pm

Style: JJJ/TSD/MT/BJJ/TLA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We just had three members of a Korean family start with us. The mother doesn't even speak much English (though she speaks more English than I speak Korean). The two daughters are very bilingual.

Our Korean is bad. We know this. So we're working on learning better pronunciation from them as we go. The only problem is that one of them tries to use correcting us at length as a way to deflect actual work. Eh, I think she's too young for the class, anyway.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 1:32pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In an international sport, everyone has to be on the same page regardless of ethnic origin. If you want terms in English, go learn boxing & wrestling.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 1:48pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, he's educated.

Americans who act like they know what they're talking aout but in reality have no clue are assholes.

Americans who insist that they only have to learn one language & that everything conforms to their culture of ignorance are assholes.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2008 2:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And I think cab drivers and anyone that works in a chinese place are assholes. Live in our country learn to speak our fucking language. Go to Korea, at least ATTEMPT to speak their language.

If you're going to try to use the Korean language, do it right.

So I guess none of you ever get pissed off when you can't even order chinese because they never learned a word of english, huh? You're right, I'm the asshole.....trying to respect someone's culture and all.
Page 1 of 14 1 234511 ... LastLast